Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Feb 19, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #2,281 of 4,123

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if Robert will allow "trade-ups" again this time...

I asked the same Q, just out of interest, as I've no intent on trading my 2.2g anytime soon and he responded:

"The upgrades will be available when we have enough stock, I will inform you then."
That could be anyones guess...!

Edit: Robert responded again saying in 2-3 months time he'll be offering upgrades for around $40. Think I'll wait for a 5g..!

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #2,282 of 4,123
If the song has a long pause in the piece I believe it thinks the amp is inactive and powers down.  I recall another person had a similar issue w/ a classical piece of music once long ago?

I don't think so - it wasn't during a pause, I'm wondering if its because one of my cables for some reason got loose? I just tried it again, and during the exact same song it powered off again! Strange... I'm really not sure what's causing the problem, as the rest of the album runs completely fine.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #2,284 of 4,123

Quote:
Does anyone know the wait time if I were to order today? I was planning on purchasing the arrow but I think ill pass if wait is longer than a month.

I ordered mine 5 days ago and received an email from Robert today saying my amp will ship on the 10th of March
L3000.gif
I am stoked as that is when I return home for vacation from Afghanistan, this means when I have to go back it will be with sonic nirvana in my pocket!!!

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #2,286 of 4,123
If your battery has failed I think Robert sells replacements for a reasonable price if it's out of warranty. How long have you had yours?

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2,287 of 4,123
Arrow 3G with Sony PFR-V1 is nice. 

Don't forget to install the foam sleeves on the bass ducts, to carefully (!!!) adjust their positioning into the ear canal and to set bass boost to "II". Still the result is on the lean side, like some faved nearfield monitors, but very acceptable. 

I just received the Sonys and may add some further comments later on. I guess that there are ways to improve the bass by modding the foam sleeves. The system is open, i.e. not usable with other persons being present in the same room. On the other hand, the open design provides for a more open sound stage and eliminates "hot ears" which are common with conventional, circumaural headphones.

The PFR-V1 is a very weird looking set of ear speakers ("personal field speaker system" as per Sony lingo), discontinued by Sony and now available at a more acceptable price than the original, nothing less than hideously shocking $500 MSRP. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #2,288 of 4,123

Quote:
Arrow 3G with Sony PFR-V1 is nice. 

The PFR-V1 is a very weird looking set of ear speakers ("personal field speaker system" as per Sony lingo), discontinued by Sony and now available at a more acceptable price than the original, nothing less than hideously shocking $500 MSRP. 

I demo'd a pair of those once at Fry's ... I was sort of intrigued by the possibilities but really underwhelmed at the unamped "limpness" of the PFR-V1's, just too weak all around with no real presence ... and, of course, made worse by the fact that I was standing in Fry's Electronic's at the time; I'd really like to hear a pair with the Arrow amp. I might just try and hunt down a pair if they're reasonably priced. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #2,289 of 4,123

Quote:
I demo'd a pair of those once at Fry's ... I was sort of intrigued by the possibilities but really underwhelmed at the unamped "limpness" of the PFR-V1's, just too weak all around with no real presence ... and, of course, made worse by the fact that I was standing in Fry's Electronic's at the time; I'd really like to hear a pair with the Arrow amp. I might just try and hunt down a pair if they're reasonably priced. 

I had the exact same experience.  Pretty sure they were amped or decently driven out of the demo board.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #2,290 of 4,123
Has anyone tried this amp with the hifiman he-500? How do they pair?

I have had the the Arrow 3G for quite some time (since it was released) & bought the HE-500 a few weeks ago.. both pair very well.

The Arrow is very transparent & uncolored.  It drives the 500 admirably (providing better dynamics & control).  With the gain set at I, I have the volume level near maxed to attain the desired listening level (which I'd consider average).. at gain II, the volume pot is at 50%.

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2,291 of 4,123

Quote:
My amp wont charge :frowning2: 
or at least the green light isnt turning on.

I just exchanged a 4G because it had no green LED (and the red one did not flash when the battery was low). Other than that, it charged just fine and sounded great. There was about a week of email and experiments to verify the behavior, and a week's wait for the replacement amp.

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #2,292 of 4,123
Hi, I just found this forum and I am looking to purchase the 4G and just wondering if anyone is able to give me a quick summary of its sound signature?
I'm looking for something uncolored and transparent because my CIEM is rather warm on its own.

Thanks.

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #2,295 of 4,123

Totally in love with this amp! Solid, well built and as thin as my iPod Nano. The bass boost is terrific, it feels like a native increase in bass rather than the Fiio E11 which really muddied the music when I turned on bass and lost a lot of detail even though it was a lesser boost. I don't know why but I turn on treble boost when I use it with my RS1i... jeez it just sounds so much more energetic and lively. Do I have a treble addiction? I couldn't be happier with this upgrade. Mid range and treble are both more impactful and the soundstage is noticeably wider, especially with my classical and progressive rock. 

Haven't used crossfeed yet. I really don't know why I would want to. What does it fix? Extreme separation in the track? Usually it is intentional, isn't it?

I am also quite thankful that I paid for it when it was $325. Maybe he has plenty of stock now but I was assured a one week delivery and that's exactly what I got. Kept hearing horror stories about waiting months for this thing. 

Sry, I was a little shaky on that first picture. Wanted to upload a clear labeling for people to see the buttons and functions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back