Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Dec 3, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #1,306 of 4,123
[size=x-small]Order number:2702 (Order processing).[/size]

[size=x-small]Still hasn't shipped :frowning2:!! Oh well I can bare the wait.  I was planning to pair it up with the Sennheiser HD650 due to the reviews in this thread, but Amazon recently rose the price up $50 because of Christmas.[/size]

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #1,307 of 4,123
Hellenbeck, thank you for your impressions of your 1G.  Dfkt's review was so thorough that it's probably hard to further elaborate on his thoughts, but It's nice to hear that many who own the original version still love and enjoy theirs without the yearning for the latest and greatest.

To your point about many of the recent posts, I'm sure I fit into your column of complainers.  Oh well.  The OP asked people to give their "thoughts, opinions, documented reviews, tips and issues on the new Headstage, Arrow HE headphone amp."  Rob's shipping time and estimates are overpromised and underdelivered, so my only opinions thus far are on the process of purchasing one.  That being said, I'm sure it's all worth it in the end because there are hardly any negative comments about this amp to be found anywhere (sans shipping/building time).

Speaking for most of us "patient" consumers, we're just anxious to get ours.

I do want to add that my recent correspondence with Rob was very nice.  He seems like a nice guy who is just overwhelmed with orders... A good problem to have I guess.

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #1,308 of 4,123
Hellenback, it pleases me to hear that you can drive the HD650 with the Arrow.  Other than as an intellectual exercise I don't see myself actually running mine off of it for long, but it's nice to know the little amp can pull it off!

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #1,309 of 4,123
@ SoulSyde

To be honest I never noticed which particular person said what, I just noticed very few actual impressions as opposed to posts about waiting. Although I empathize with the overly long wait time (which appears to be lessening) there are very few items on head-fi that have a dedicated thread for talking about how long the wait time is
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/461344/oh-where-oh-where-has-my-slim-arrow-gone-oh-where-oh-where-can-it-be/750

Quote:
He seems like a nice guy who is just overwhelmed with orders..

I too think this is exactly the situation....especially near the beginning after the Arrow first began making waves.

@ Golden Monkey

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how well the Arrow handles many full sized headphones. There are of course other good portable amps but I have yet to find one that is able to adapt so well to such a variety of head/earphones and yet be virtually unnoticeable in your pocket.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #1,310 of 4,123
I just can't wait to see how sexy it'll be strapped to my Cowon J3, with a Whiplash TWag/Oyaide interconnect, driving T50p's or my SM3's...the Arrow should totally be worth the wait, but if it can handle an HD650 with aplomb, well...that's just gravy.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #1,311 of 4,123
so how long is the waiting time atm ?

thinking of buying one , but i wanna know the delivery times....

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #1,312 of 4,123
Anyone looking to buy the arrow amp, i have one for sale at the original price + shipping (Robert's shipping is free because its unregistered)

Its brand new and i should be receiving it on monday or wednesday latest.

PM me for more details. You really have nothing to lose but all to gain especially the waiting time this has.

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #1,314 of 4,123
Dec 4, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #1,315 of 4,123
Would anyone be able to give a comparison between the Arrow and the Meier 2Move and/or XXS?It would be much appreciated.
happy_face1.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #1,317 of 4,123

Quote:
@DizzyRaider, have you been able to spend enough "quality time" with your new found friend to offer up a more detailed review?

Hahaha, I have spent around 30 some hours with it and it's all with smiles. Not sure if it's burned in yet, but I thought it sounded pretty darn good right out of the box. I haven't had the time to listen to my (now my brother's:) ) SolderMonkey's upgraded Mini^3. I have been doing most my listening at night before going to sleep since I've been pretty busy the past few weeks. When I do get a chance to do the comparison with the Mini^3 and possibly the now extinct mSeed Labs Spirit amp, I'll be sure to post something up. Because quite frankly without a comparison with another amp, all I can really say is how well this amp sounds (which is pretty much everything).

Sound Impressions

The amp provides plenty of current (likely due to the powerful AD8397) to make my Grado happy. The highs aren't bright, but nice and clean, while the same thing can also be use to describe the lower frequencies. The bass isn't exaggerated nor is it bloated, it is just clean with impact.
There isn't much to say about the mid besides that is sounds lush and full, very satisfying.
I find the sound stage to be excellent and the clarity is also outstanding.
The above were my thoughts on the amp with bass set at 0

For good volume with the Grado and Ultrasone, the pot is turned about 3/4 with the gain set to 1 (keep in mind that Cowon S9 as a source isn't as loud as your typical line out and was set at 32/40 ). With gain set to 2, good volume is achieved at about 1/3 to 1/2.

With the bass set to 1, the lower frequencies are boosted by quite a bit. Listening to The Temper Trap's Sweet Disposition, the kick drum sounds like its just behind the other instruments (clean sounding btw). With bass set to 1, the kick drum sounds like it's right next to your ear sounding nice and deep. With bass set to 2, my Grado's will start to rattle because the bass is just too powerful. 
With Kanye's Love Lockdown, you can definitely feel the bass even with the setting at 0, once again the bass become too strong for my Grado, but this time 1 will cause a slight rattle and 2 sounds like its going to blow the drivers. But then again, the song Love Lockdown is incredibly bassy to begin with. Overall, I love being able to turn up the bass whenever I encounter a song that I think lacks bass. As dfkt's review mentioned, the 9db boost is "noticeable" (bass boost 1), while I would describe the 9db+9db bass boost as "holy crap!" (bass boost 2)

I'm not sure how to describe crossfeed feature as I never had an amp with this function before. The soundstage sounds the widest with the function off and more intimate as more crossfeed that you get. A fun feature to play with. You can get more detail and better understanding of this feature by reading dkft's comprehensive review of the Gen1 Arrow.

Almost forgot to mention the battery life. This amp's battery life is incredibly impressive. I have already had to recharge my S9 3 times while the Arrow is still not in need of a recharge. Quite frankly, I'm starting to think this thing is solar powered and charges itself during the day... just incredible.

My S9 strapped to the Arrow G2.2

A side by side look

A thickness comparison

and finally, the setup

*Updated with pics

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #1,318 of 4,123
You the man DizzyRaider.   Thanks for the review.

Your impressions of the crossfeed feature are accurate.  Soundstage typically collapses when the channels blend.  This is a good thing when you're listening to a lot of classic rock songs with wild panning (i.e. Floyd, Jimi, etc.).

Looking forward to the pics.  I'm curious to see how it pairs with the S9.

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #1,320 of 4,123
Nice rig!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back