Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Dec 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #1,336 of 4,123
I have one that I used back in my iPod ownership days I could get your way for real cheap.  PM me if you're interested.

Otherwise, I did own an iBasso one a while back that sounded pretty good to me.  I only got rid of it when I sold off my old iBasso amp.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #1,337 of 4,123
Dec 6, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #1,338 of 4,123
Hey guys, where is the best place to pick one of these up? Thanks

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #1,339 of 4,123
Dec 6, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #1,340 of 4,123
Dec 7, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #1,341 of 4,123
Is there a better amp at that price-level ?

I am kinda noobie , and 300$ seem like a lot of money so i am thinking whether i will get a sound improvement that justifies spending such a large amount of money

help me out here folks
beyersmile.png

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #1,343 of 4,123

Quote:

I am kinda noobie , and 300$ seem like a lot of money so i am thinking whether i will get a sound improvement that justifies spending such a large amount of money

help me out here folks
beyersmile.png

That right there is a seriously loaded question. It depends on a lot of factors of which I know none. For instance, how do your phones and player synergize. Are they the proper impedance for the player? Perhaps they are super sensitive ie. SE530 and you want to add impedance so that you can eliminate that static that some find appauling. Perhaps your phones are high impedance and not very sensitive and your portable player isnt pushing them well enough and they sound thin and dull. An amp can open them up and make them sound correct. If you already have a player with matched phones why would you want an amp? I think perhaps more research through head-fi, wiki and the internet overall is in order. Research all the specifications of your headphones, what those specifications mean and then learn what all the specs of an amp mean and try to make a match. Educateing yourself is the best thing you can do.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #1,344 of 4,123
first of all , thanx for answering and helping me out with such a detailed way

trust me , i have done my reading and i am asking more for a vote of confidence here

i have a pair of re-262 (150ohm) with a clip+

concerning the synergy , as you put it, i would love hearing about these 3(clip+/262/arrow) in particular but so far nobody has come up with an answer so i am in the dark

I just want to know if there's gonna be a big improvement that justfies spending 300$ and this can ony be answered by someone already in the place i am about to embark to (arrow owner)

again thank you very much for helping out , much appreciated
beyersmile.png

Quote:
That right there is a seriously loaded question. It depends on a lot of factors of which I know none. For instance, how do your phones and player synergize. Are they the proper impedance for the player? Perhaps they are super sensitive ie. SE530 and you want to add impedance so that you can eliminate that static that some find appauling. Perhaps your phones are high impedance and not very sensitive and your portable player isnt pushing them well enough and they sound thin and dull. An amp can open them up and make them sound correct. If you already have a player with matched phones why would you want an amp? I think perhaps more research through head-fi, wiki and the internet overall is in order. Research all the specifications of your headphones, what those specifications mean and then learn what all the specs of an amp mean and try to make a match. Educateing yourself is the best thing you can do.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #1,345 of 4,123
^

Are you going to wear the Clip over the waistband and run a LO, err mini-mini, into an Arrow into your pants pocket?  That combination just seems odd to me, like a Fuze might have been a better match and offered LO capability?

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #1,346 of 4,123
I haven't seen anyone on this forum with that exact setup, but 150 Ohm headphones usually benefit from an external amplifier.

Synergy is a lot of trial and error.  The Clip+ should pair will with that amp, but if the REs don't you might find another set of headphones that do either now or down the road.

Come on, spend the $300 and let us know what you think of that heaphone/amp/source combination.
beyersmile.png

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #1,347 of 4,123
Honestly, Im not part of the bat ear contingent. So personally I dont notice much of a difference with amps in general. For me what an amp does is correct problems if any even exist. With some of my setups Id say an amp does nothing for them. Others like I mentioned above need a correction. I know this doesnt really answer your question but I dont have your setup to give you an opinion. I do think its a little odd to have such a tiny compact player like the clip+ and pair it with a big ole amp. Kinda defeats the purpose of the player but to each his own and if you like using it in that fashion I certainly see no problems with it. The clip+ is a wonderful player but I suspect you might need the amp with the phones you have. Ohms alone doesnt tell the whole story on how sensitive your phones are though. So I still dont know if you really need an amp for those phones or not. Perhaps there is a owners thread for your phones here on head-fi that can direct you to what sources and amps work well with them.

Sorry I couldnt help more.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #1,349 of 4,123
thanx for all the feedback guys
jecklinsmile.gif

regarding the clip+ /arrow outdoor questions , i am gonna use the amp only when indoors i guess (outdoors i will use my re-zero which are less expensive and thus nerve-wrecking if damaged)

i may upgrade at some point to a better DAP (j3 ?) but my main concern/goal is whether this amp can make the clip/262 synergy even better , that's the focal point

ok , to put it another way

would you rather spend some money to get the arrow OR to upgrade from clip+ to J3 ? 
confused.gif

Also thanx for mentiong that the arrow works great with the 252 as well , as this means i coud use it for my 252 besides the 262 
bigsmile_face.gif

damn I love this forum
beerchug.gif

(even though it makes me spend way more money than i thought  )

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #1,350 of 4,123

Quote:

I am kinda noobie , and 300$ $265 seem like a lot of money so i am thinking whether i will get a sound improvement that justifies spending such a large amount of money

help me out here folks
beyersmile.png

As indicated the price is $265 not $300 and I personally doubt very much you will get a better amp for this amount of money. When people speak of synergy I start to cringe a bit as IMO a good amp should drive most headphones well (unless specifically designed for IEMs) Whether the improvement is worth it is up to the ears of the person listening. The thing that makes it easier to recommend the Arrow for most set-ups is it's exceptional adaptability (all the settings). If you are looking primarily for more clean, clear volume I doubt you will be disappointed. If for some reason you are, I believe there is a 30 day money back guaranty so all you are out is the very little it costs to mail it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back