Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Dec 1, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #1,291 of 4,123

Quote:
OMG its Awesome!!!!!

wink.gif

x2.  It's so much better!!  
beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #1,292 of 4,123
Does anyone have the 3G yet?  I'm wondering if its still quiet with sensitive IEMs at the zero output impedance?

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #1,294 of 4,123
Alright then.  Thanks.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #1,295 of 4,123
God, I sure hope so.  I ordered mine on 11/16 (#2873), and I can't stand having to wait for it!

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #1,296 of 4,123

Quote:
Just so everyone knows, Robert replied to my inquiry and let me know that,despite the fact the Arrow has input coupling caps, using a DIYmod/iMod/Whipmod directly with the Arrow (without output caps) would probably end up damaging the volume control.

I hope everyone who has been waiting for their arrow gets them soon!

Also, can I make a comment and say I am surprised how little people have actually written specific "impressions" of the Arrow in this thread. I mean, don't get me wrong, I am still letting my system burn-in before I review the overall sound, but I have read this whole thread and not found a thorough review of peoples thoughts and how they would compare it to other amps. And I am talking specifics, like how they would compare treble, mids, bass, clarity, neutrality, etc. All I have seen is "OMG the Arrow is awesome! Its better!"   

Seems a little un-headfi-like.

Once again NO OFFENSE guys, just pointing out a simple observation. Feel free to correct me! :)

I think most of us feel that this head-fier pretty much said it all

http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/04/headstage-arrow-12he-headphone-amplifier-review/

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #1,297 of 4,123

Quote:

Direct Copy and Past from Headphonia forum page.

Arrow Change Log

Arrow 1G:

- Since mid February: Improved sensitivity of automatic switch (will not turn off accidentally)
- Since April: Nuts are directly soldered on the circuit board (will not get loose)

Arrow G2.0:

- Second headphone jack
- No real power switch
- Deeper bass boost 9dB + 9dB
- Longer battery run time (up to 50 hours)
- Film input caps
- Lower ESR power rail caps and decoupling caps
- Rear switches are more recessed (less sticking out)
- Better firmware (faster power shifting, more precise battery voltage detection etc.)

Arrow G2.1:

-New pre-amp (less switch-on click noise)

Arrow G2.2:

- Change of output resistors from 10/75/110 to 0/65/110 (better synergy with some IEMs like Triple.Fi 10 which sound weird with any output resistor)

Arrow G3.0 - will ship at the end of November (please write me if you prefer this version)

- Change of output resistors to 0/20/65 (better control of treble)
- Additional ceramic capacitors to lower impedance of tantalum caps (virtual better treble but barely noticeable)

So what is the real difference between the G2.2 vs the G3.0 ?

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #1,298 of 4,123
Madgravity is right.  Aside from dfkt @ ABI, no-one here has put forward a serious and comprehensive review of the Arrow.  None of our in-house semi-professional reviewers seem all that inclined to consider reviewing the Arrow.  This is an incredible shame, given that the Arrow is such a unique and versatile product.

I may be wrong, but I got the feeling a while back that some older members may have personal issues with Robert.  But who cares, we know where the smart money is, don't we?

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #1,299 of 4,123

Quote:

I may be wrong, but I got the feeling a while back that some older members may have personal issues with Robert.  But who cares, we know where the smart money is, don't we?

I do have to say that I'm getting a little impatient waiting for mine.  Patience is not a virtue of mine... unfortunately.  This really appears to be a good amp on paper and the reviews (albeit few and far between) are overwhelmingly positive, but dare I say that if this device doesn't ship soon I may ask for a refund and buy a Stepdance.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #1,301 of 4,123
Quote:
Update: I just corresponded with Rob via e-mail and he has assured me that mine will ship in the next couple of weeks.  My patience has been restored (temporarily).

I hope he means the whole production run of the G3's...otherwise I'm going to go insane.

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #1,305 of 4,123

Quote:

@ rehabitat I don't think you are wrong at all
wink.gif

Regarding many of the recent posts in this thread; it seems people are more interested in complaining about waiting even though it has been repeatedly pointed out there is a dedicated thread for that.

I intended to write a detailed review of the Arrow but own the 1G and couldn't add anything to the brilliant review by dtfk (which I linked to again a few posts back). All I can say is that my impressions are near identical to his and until I get a newer gen Arrow it would be kind of pointless to write a review of an amp that is now revamped.
Even though the changes have been small I don't think most want a review of an amp that is no longer available. Soooo....all you 2G owners, it's up to you until I can "upgrade" mine :wink:  From what I've read it seems to be more of a revision or tweaking of the original Arrow as opposed to a big upgrade. It's difficult to improve on something as close to perfect as the 1G Arrow. The additional bass boost potential and the auto-on-off feature would be nice to have but I don't often feel the need for more or better bass and like the lighted switch too. I still hear the 1G to have the best SQ for the money out there (and perhaps regardless of cost below $400 -> $500). I suppose I need to say I haven't heard every new amp out there but I really don't think there is much to improve on. It is certainly one of the most portable, well designed and best sounding units on the market. If (and it's a big if) some newer amp has managed to surpass it in any area I believe it would have to be at the expense of either form, battery life or some other feature I have grown to love about the Arrow.

I personally believe that much is often made of very minute "improvements" between different amps. These often end up being not really SQ improvements but a different presentation. The Arrow is an accurate, incredibly versatile amp with a fairly neutral sound sig. It might lean a bit to the warm side but I often use the infamously "dark" HD650s with it. It is non-fatiguing for hours at a time and just plain does what an amp is supposed to do. If and when any shortcomings have been noticed and pointed out they have been addressed in future revisions/runs. I for one could not ask for a better portable amp and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for top-tier portable listening. I had to go to a balanced desk-top set-up to get enough of an improvement to warrant more money. But hey, I'm not a real reviewer so what do I know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back