Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Nov 27, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #1,276 of 4,123
Hey guys I have an honest question regarding the use of the Arrow (I have the 2G) with a iMod/WhipMod/DIYmod. Currently, my LOD has 47uF BG caps installed, but I want to experiment with a all copper LOD (to slightly warm up the sound) and I am curious if there is even a need for output capacitors with the Arrow. In a previous post where someone outlined the differences between the different revisions of the Arrow, it appears there are ceramic (or tantalum?) input capacitors. So does this mean that the Blackgates in my LOD are redundant? Also, what negative effects will having two sets of input capacitors have if any? And if I rely solely on the Arrows input caps, do you think I will experience any bass roll-off or any adverse effects to the SQ?

I am trying to experiment with the sound of my system, because somehow (using Silver-plated wiring internally, as well as the LOD wiring, and Twag cables) seems to have made my custom UM3x's slighly sibilant. These IEMS are supposed to be very resiliant to sibilance, although they sound awesome with a huge soundstage and great clarity, I am considering some minor changes to tweak this.

Thanks for all the help !

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #1,277 of 4,123
Personally, I think the sound is better with good external caps than without (and using just the amp input caps).  I have a theory (better caps perform better when there is a DC offset), but can't say for sure why.  My experience has been with multiple amps and my Fuze as well as my modded iPod.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #1,281 of 4,123
OMG!!! my order number: 2836 just shipped!!!! not XD.. mine is a G3 as well.. i thought it is supposed to shipped at the end of November...
confused.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #1,284 of 4,123

Quote:
2528 was shipped on nov. 13th, but still has not arrived. Anybody know what shipping service these arrive from in the US.

A simple search of this thread would give you that answer many times over....it's standard mail and the time can vary depending on customs and postal traffic...Christmas time not being optimal to say the least.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #1,285 of 4,123

Yeah!  Mine must be shipping soon then.

My post was just a joke.... sorry to disapoint u... I did include the "not" there... :> :rolleyes: so there is really a long wait... i was hoping to get the amp this dec... /sob

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #1,286 of 4,123
i wish rob live here in the US... hahaha XD.. eventhough the amp will be shipped i think you still need to wait a couple of weeks.... arrrggghhhh... i really suck @ waiting.. probably the longest wait of my life...

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #1,287 of 4,123

Quote:
2528 was shipped on nov. 13th, but still has not arrived. Anybody know what shipping service these arrive from in the US. 

My 2524 was shipped 3 days before yours (11/10) and arrived on the 17th via USPS along with my normal mail. That was about how long it took for the USB DAC cable to arrive back in July. Although I think there were cases where it took a bit longer for others.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #1,288 of 4,123
Just so everyone knows, Robert replied to my inquiry and let me know that,despite the fact the Arrow has input coupling caps, using a DIYmod/iMod/Whipmod directly with the Arrow (without output caps) would probably end up damaging the volume control.

I hope everyone who has been waiting for their arrow gets them soon!

Also, can I make a comment and say I am surprised how little people have actually written specific "impressions" of the Arrow in this thread. I mean, don't get me wrong, I am still letting my system burn-in before I review the overall sound, but I have read this whole thread and not found a thorough review of peoples thoughts and how they would compare it to other amps. And I am talking specifics, like how they would compare treble, mids, bass, clarity, neutrality, etc. All I have seen is "OMG the Arrow is awesome! Its better!"   

Seems a little un-headfi-like.

Once again NO OFFENSE guys, just pointing out a simple observation. Feel free to correct me! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back