Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Nov 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #1,261 of 4,123

Quote:
Quote:
"Until my little illuminated proboscis falls off..."
cool.gif

That very well may be the quote of the week.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #1,262 of 4,123
^^ Oh, man! Thanks, Anaxilus. Perfect! I haven't seen that since it made the rounds in our IT department about five years ago. Good thing everyone remained intact. :wink:

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #1,263 of 4,123
I am satisfied with my amp as it is and don't want to upgrade just yet.
Perhaps when he is releasing version 4.0 or 5.0 with balanced XLR and stuff I might feel the need for upgrade/buy from him again.
beyersmile.png

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #1,264 of 4,123

Quote:
I am satisfied with my amp as it is and don't want to upgrade just yet.
Perhaps when he is releasing version 4.0 or 5.0 with balanced XLR and stuff I might feel the need for upgrade/buy from him again again.
beyersmile.png

I am interested in this claim of better treble control.  I would like to hear more on that and what exactly that entails.

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #1,266 of 4,123
A couple of question....

Has anyone used the Arrow to drive the Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm?

Has anyone ordered the package of Headstage Arrow 12HE & USB DAC Stick Amp and received the USB DAC Stick?

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #1,268 of 4,123
Straight from the forum:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus 
Just to clarify Rob. Those of us w/ the noisy click 2G will be able to update for free to 3G then?

Could you also expand further on the treble improvement? 

Also, will removing the 10ohm introduce more noise to the background? I wonder if some of us w/ no plans on owning a TF10 might benefit by keeping things the way the are? Obviously, you find it worthy enough to implement across your whole line.

Everyone can upgrade their old generation. But not now when orders are piling up. 

Removing the 10 ohm resistor increases slightly the noise and the turn-on pop (that's why it was there in the first place) and improves treble on very low impedance IEMs.

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #1,269 of 4,123
I received arrow last week and had hours of listening with my fuze, d2 and se530 this amp does damn nice job with adding body / warmth with bass boost. (although, I get tired easily with bass these days)
And at reasonable volume, this makes my se530 dead silent, there is no hiss at all. It feels like im in the pitch dark compared to night street with some lamp light. Also because it reduces hiss noise, I hear subtle notes clearer in the background.

On the otherside, it's hard to explain but I find myself not liking this sound signature changes in the songs.
It feels like i'm listening to songs in vacuum / underwater, and songs feel less airy with all the subtle noises cut out. (maybe I'm describing in a wrong way)
I may return and just spend money toward custom iem instead of amp.

Don't get me wrong tho, this amp will make those subtle notes stand out. I guess it's just not my cup of tea. This is my first time owning an amp, are amps like this in general?

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #1,270 of 4,123

Quote:
I received arrow last week and had hours of listening with my fuze, d2 and se530 this amp does damn nice job with adding body / warmth with bass boost. (although, I get tired easily with bass these days)
And at reasonable volume, this makes my se530 dead silent, there is no hiss at all which is good thing. It feels like im in the pitch dark compared to street with some lamp light during the night time. Also because it reduces hiss noise, I hear subtle notes clearer in the background.

On the otherside, it's hard to explain but I find myself not liking this sound signature changes in the songs.
It feels like i'm listening to songs in vacuum / underwater, and songs feel less airy with all the subtle noises cut out. (maybe I'm describing in a wrong way)

Don't get me wrong tho, this amp will make those subtle notes stand out. I guess it's just not my cup of tea. This is my first time owning an amp, are amps like this in general?

Nope, amps can be completely different from each other.  Each will have their own sound signatures and synergies with equipment, it's all up to how you like them.

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #1,271 of 4,123

Quote:
And at reasonable volume, this makes my se530 dead silent, there is no hiss at all which is good thing. It feels like im in the pitch dark compared to street with some lamp light during the night time. Also because it reduces hiss noise, I hear subtle notes clearer in the background.

For me the Arrow is a little dark too, its not airy. Some like this, others like myself don't. There is no right or wrong. Its all what you like or don't like.

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #1,272 of 4,123

Quote:
And at reasonable volume, this makes my se530 dead silent, there is no hiss at all. It feels like im in the pitch dark compared to night street with some lamp light. Also because it reduces hiss noise, I hear subtle notes clearer in the background.

So by your description the Arrow does not have big sound staging?This would be a deal breaker as my ALO Mini^3 has a pleasingly huge sound stage.And i do not want downgrade in replacing it with the Arrow.

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #1,273 of 4,123
I dont have arrow with me now because im outside
But from my memory, soundstage didnt change but it feels slightly less airy as its darker than unamped
Because its darker, subtle notes tend to be clearer to notice like tiny light in dark stands out

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #1,274 of 4,123
The Arrow's channel separation (= soundstage, more or less) is dependent on the impedance of the attached phones, as is the case with many players and amps - or at least on the first generation Arrow it was. Not sure if the new redesigns changed anything in that aspect. The lower the phone impedance, the more pronounced the stereo channel crosstalk. I haven't really tested if adding impedance to low-impedance IEMs changes the channel separation.

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #1,275 of 4,123

Quote:
Quote:

So by your description the Arrow does not have big sound staging?This would be a deal breaker as my ALO Mini^3 has a pleasingly huge sound stage.And i do not want downgrade in replacing it with the Arrow.

Just to chime in on the soundstage issue. I would say that the Arrow maintains the soundstage already being output by your DAP. This is important to me as well as I use my Arrow amp with an S:flo 2, a player which I appreciate very much because of it's truly awesome imaging and sound stage; the Arrow does nothing to either accentuate or detract from this very nice quality of the S:flo 2 player.

Also, I have never noticed it as being particularly "dark" or "airy" ... to me, it's always sounded quite neutral and if I had to say anything, I would have to echo what the anythingbutipod reviewer says and that is that the Arrow simply conveys the music as it arrives from the player, that it doesn't color or change the sound in anyway. 

But we all hear different and so just adding some counterpoint and not arguing. 

Best.

.joel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back