Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Dec 16, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #3,136 of 4,123
Robert definitely has poor customer service. I wouldn't recommend buying from him unless you really love the Arrow. You could have a different amp within a week rather than waiting for months. It's unfortunate that he can't build up a stock so it doesn't take several months, but he must have too much demand.

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #3,137 of 4,123
Robert definitely has poor customer service. I wouldn't recommend buying from him unless you really love the Arrow. You could have a different amp within a week rather than waiting for months. It's unfortunate that he can't build up a stock so it doesn't take several months, but he must have too much demand.

It's a one-man business so it's going to be incredibly hard on him. To be honest, I'm surprised he's lasted in the business for this long!

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #3,138 of 4,123
Thanks for letting me know about your experiences. I must say that a basic order status from Robert would have been appropriate. I'll hang on until Feb-15, after that I will have to escalate the matter any way I can. I very disappointed in his customer service.

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #3,139 of 4,123
Having purchased multiple Arrow from him, yeah.... he is not the type to give you prompt replies. But he has always delivered with the products, so while I have no idea when the European and Australian region orders will go out, he will get your amp to you.

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3,140 of 4,123
  I've received an Email from Headstage (I was asking some things about 5P). He told me that the 5P has a base noise/hiss because of it's higher gain. So if I want dead silence (gain/volume being 0), I should buy 5T or 5N.. Now I'm worried a bit.. I really would like to have 5P.. OR Digizoid FS, but I don't really know if its worth it to spend the extra money on 5P. And how the amps are compared in hiss/noise and bass boost.. 

I gave it a quick check with my Klipsch X10 in ear to listen for the hiss. Setting volume to max with no music playing, the background is pitch black on gain setting 0 and 1, while 2 has a very faint hiss in the background, again this is with the volume on the absolute max on all three gain settings.

Nice to see the 5G's are finally shipping! Been considering this or the oppo HA-2 (when it eventually releases) and the fact that this is now shipping makes my choice even harder...

Does the DAC in this provide a noticeable improvement over a nexus 5? (phone)

I haven't had the chance to try it with the Nexus 5, but is was noticeably better than my ONE M7.

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #3,142 of 4,123

I gave it a quick check with my Klipsch X10 in ear to listen for the hiss. Setting volume to max with no music playing, the background is pitch black on gain setting 0 and 1, while 2 has a very faint hiss in the background, again this is with the volume on the absolute max on all three gain settings.

I haven't had the chance to try it with the Nexus 5, but is was noticeably better than my ONE M7.

You have the 5P and there is no noise? How.. :O Robert said there is some at 5P, only 5N and 5T are dead silent.. 

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #3,143 of 4,123
You have the 5P and there is no noise? How.. :O Robert said there is some at 5P, only 5N and 5T are dead silent.. 

I think he said the 5P (which is what I have) is a little higher than the other two due to the higher gain. I'm not sure if it's only exist/evident with the bad boost on, because with no bass boost, the amp was dead silent with the in ear, and just pure blackness with my full size.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #3,144 of 4,123

I think he said the 5P (which is what I have) is a little higher than the other two due to the higher gain. I'm not sure if it's only exist/evident with the bad boost on, because with no bass boost, the amp was dead silent with the in ear, and just pure blackness with my full size.

Damn! I can't decide which one to buy.. 5P or DigiZoid FS ... I like the price and the settings of DigiZoid.. But considering the Arrow 5P because of it's better noise performance.. 

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3,145 of 4,123

Damn! I can't decide which one to buy.. 5P or DigiZoid FS ... I like the price and the settings of DigiZoid.. But considering the Arrow 5P because of it's better noise performance.. 

Depends on what your usage will be. Have never tried DigiZoid so I don't know much about its performance, but for Arrow 5, you might want to check out the 5N instead if your main use is with full size. If my memory serve me correctly, the 5P's bass boost is very much like the 3G's, which has 9db boost on level 1 and +18db for level 2.

When using the bass boost with my IEM, level 1 works pretty well and adds a deep punch, but level 2 can be over powering. Level 2 sound like a car with an oversized subwoofer in the trunk, and you can hear the bass distorting the some of the music. So level 2 with the 5P would only be useful with very specific genre of music (I tested with some bass heavy song, and it is too much) AND and bass light IEM.

When using the bass boost with my full size, level 1 works well on all 3 of my full size (especially with Low on bass freq), but level 2 was way too overpowering. It sounds like you are sitting in front of a subwoofer, and not in a good way. It also made the Alpha Prime distort pretty badly. I think level 2 is something I wouldn't use often with a full size. (Unless you are an EXTREME bass head that likes OVERPOWERING bass)

With the 5N, I believe the boost is +6db for level 1 and +9db for level 2, so it give you more to play with in terms of listenable bass. I would probably only recommend in the situation where you really want the super duper bass boost for IEM. (I only elected for the 5P because I pre-ordered and got the 5P upgrade for free)

The 5N should be exactly the same as 5P in all aspect, except for the double bass boost. So you'll be getting the same amp without the super duper bass....

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #3,146 of 4,123

Thanks for the elaborated explanation. After reading your post, I think that the 5T would be more appropritaed for me.
1. No backgroud noise/hiss at all
2. The AD8620
3. Most important: still have noticable Bass, +9db, (I understand that the highest bass level of the 5P with my Shure SE 846 will overwhelm me)

One question though: If I buy the 5T, can I at a later stage take out the T board and replace it wit a P board? or should I purchase the 5N + the T board separately?

Thanks again

Anyone here with a 5T or 5N ?

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #3,147 of 4,123
Anyone here with a 5T or 5N ?

I am really impressed with the 5T -  posted the comment below on the Headphonia website user support group:

Just a few comments on the 5T (AD8620 + Tubeboard). I have been listening for about one week. This is one great amp! This is the first AD8620 amp I have listened to. I also have a 2G and a 4G - they are good but the 5T is in a higher class SQ wise. One of the first things I noticed was the wider soundstage. Normally I do not like a really wide soundstage but the 5T also seems to have depth. To my ears the combination of width and depth of soundstage are implemented perfectly. Vocals blend in well and are not overpowered by wider soundstage. Bass, mids & highs seem to blend together well (really well!). Mids and highs are very clear without any harshness, very smooth, great treble even without the treble boost. (I dislike piercing upper mids & the 4G gave me a bit of trouble in that regard-but the 4G is still a nice amp). I like the 5T bass (I am not a basshead). Seems to have plenty of bass if it's in the recording. I am using Gain = 0, Treble = 0, Bass = II & Bass Freq M or H. I am using Jays - V-Jays portable headphones and like it with the Hifiman HE-300 full size headphones also.

Robert - thank you for the great quality and attention to detail & all the testing you put into this amp. I am "way" impressed. I find the sound "addictive" with this amp and will be spending a lot of time with it. Just wanted to make a few comments not a review. Thank you.

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #3,149 of 4,123
  Thank you all! One last question.. I still don't know the exact difference between 5N and 5T? What is a tubeboard? That is installed on 5T.

different amp board could be fitted inside the amplifier by simple disassembly and swapping the neutral sound amplifier board ... it is also a solid state amplifier but uses different components  that can simulate the sound and warmness of the tube amplifier 

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #3,150 of 4,123
Anyone know what the output impedance is on the Arrow 5N? I currently have the 4N and it doesn't pair very well with my JH13, probably due to the multi BA setup. The bass sounds weird and subdued with the 4N, whereas direct from my iPod the bass sounds fantastic on the JH13.

I can't find that spec on the website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back