Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Feb 3, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #3,166 of 4,123
Yes I like the 5N over the 4G, has been a while since I listened to the 4G, in general better bass, more detail, bigger ss, I was very very impressed, I highly recomend, definately an improvement! I didn't think it was possible? but Robert did it, I loved my 4G, now I love the 5N even more, hhmmm, go figure, lol,

for upgrading go to http://www.headstage.com/Upgrade:::1013.html?XTCsid=a09453e74c1ddae7714a5014a74c045c

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #3,167 of 4,123
To all those interested in the arrow 5P I posted this on the headphonia forum, feel free to ask questions....

"I have had my Arrow 5P for the past 1 week now and I am very impressed,I am not an expert by any means and I just wanted to give my amateur thoughts.
This is the first arrow amp I have owned so I cannot say much about the other models. First I have to say I was so surprised at how small the amp is, I knew it was small but not this small...it is really tiny and I keep wondering how such a tiny device can be so nice. It feels very well built and all the small knobs look like quality stuff.The USB looks excellent in gold.

I have 2 over ear headphones, a HD650 and ATH M50s and an IEM RHA 750i and the Arrow 5P sounds fantastic with all of them. I drive the IEMs with the gain at 0 and I find they don't need any more than that for the volumes I listen at The hissing actually increases at gain 1 & 2. For the M50s and H650 I use gain level 2. The HD650s don't have any hissing even at gain 2 but I find the M50s have slight hissing at gain 2. I should add that all the hissing disappears when the music starts playing so it doesn't bother me one bit.

The treble is nice to play with with all the headphones and I find myself using all 3 levels depending on the music, the mids and highs are very clean and sound very clear at all this levels. And now the bass which is the main reason I bought the 5P, I have to say I am not disappointed, the 5P has very clean, controlled and punchy bass. I find myself using gain 2 with the hd650s but only need gain 1 for the other 2 headphones as gain 2 is too much bass. I also love that you can choose the frequencies to enhance the bass, low, mid or higher bass frequencies, I use M or H most of the times with H almost always sounding like too much bass. I know that the rha 750i and M50s don't need much amplification but they sound 10x better with the arrow. My greatest joy has been using it with the hd650 as my previous fiio amp wasn't doing it justice, i was torn between the 5T and 5P since most people say the 650 sounds better with tubes but I am so glad I got the 5P because of the extra edge it has in the bass department. One point of not is that I haven't been able to use it as a DAC with my HTC desire 600 phone and my wife's Samsung using the Micro USB but it is probably a firmware issue.

Thank you Robert for a great device, the wait was very long but well worth it in the end."

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #3,168 of 4,123
DAC with Phone:
Hope you had used a USB OTG cable with the Android phone and set the DAC switch to "M".

More options:
Try another OTG cable
Use external supply (via Y OTG cable or self powered USB Hub)
Set Android version to 4.4.x or above

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #3,169 of 4,123
  DAC with Phone:
Hope you had used a USB OTG cable with the Android phone and set the DAC switch to "M".

More options:
Try another OTG cable

Yes I used the USB OTG cable that comes with the amp. I don't understand the external supply suggestion. I think the main issue is the android version I have.
Thanks

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #3,170 of 4,123

Yes I used the USB OTG cable that comes with the amp. I don't understand the external supply suggestion. I think the main issue is the android version I have.
Thanks

Hi there, I'm still waiting on my 5TX (for over 6 weeks), anyone else here?

What's that about it not working with your android phone? I plan to use it with my Galaxy 3 (I really don't care about phones) with android 4.3. Do you think the dac might not work?

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #3,171 of 4,123
  DAC with Phone:

More options:
Try another OTG cable

Do you know if the Headstage only works with android 4.4 and higher?

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #3,173 of 4,123
Has anyone actually heard a 5TX yet? I have a 4T and was thinking about changing to a Leckerton UHA6SMkII but then I read about the 5TX on the Headstage site. As a note I'd only be using either for their amp functionality to support my DAP, not interested in the DAC portions of these two products. Thanks!

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #3,175 of 4,123
  Hi all,

Is the 5TX inherently better than the 5N (in which ways?), or does it just provide a different sound?

If I understand correctly from the description warmer (tube like) sound + increased soundstage.

I don't think one has been sold yet.. I think it came online around december, I ordered begin januari and have been waiting since.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #3,176 of 4,123
I just remembered I got an email from Robert a few weeks ago saying I can upgrade again, bu this time, upgrade price seemed relatively steep ($250USD, I think).  I currently have the 4G version (I started w/ the 2G, then 3G, then 4G).  All these devices adding DACs is making portable amplification a bit more expensive.  I do understand how the market is moving, so it's not a complaint, just an observation.

Anyway, I don't even use my 4G Arrow (doubt I even have 50 total hours on it), so I won't be upgrading to the 5.  I'd sell my 4G, but doubt I can get enough to make it worth me driving 50 miles round trip to get it shipped (I live in a tiny town).

Hahaha, just noticed wait times for receipt of product seem to remain pretty long.  It's comforting to know some things never change!  =)

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #3,177 of 4,123
So if there's anyone else out there waiting for a 5TX, I just got word back from Robert. The 5TX will take a few weeks longer because the factories in China closed earlier than expected for Chinese New Year. I think a batch of 5N and 5P's are ready. 

Luckily Robert has offered to send a 5P in the meanwhile.. For which I am very grateful. Excellent service.

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #3,178 of 4,123
Quote:
  Is the 5TX inherently better than the 5N (in which ways?), or does it just provide a different sound?

Originally Posted by flinkenick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I understand correctly from the description warmer (tube like) sound + increased soundstage.

I've heard that too, but interestingly, the description doesn't say anything about that; it's all about less distortion and improved SQ. So I'm still confused.

Anyone else know if the 5TX is objectively better than the 5N, or if it just provides a different sound?

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #3,179 of 4,123
  Quote:
I've heard that too, but interestingly, the description doesn't say anything about that; it's all about less distortion and improved SQ. So I'm still confused.

Anyone else know if the 5TX is objectively better than the 5N, or if it just provides a different sound?

Well from the description I get that it is both objectively better because of a different board / buffers, and has a different sound, but also because I got the 4T recommended over the 4G a while back from another head fi'er, who said firsthand that the T models sound warmer.

That being said, I don't think anyone has heard the 5TX yet because the first still has to be delivered.

If you're trying to make a choice, I would focus on your sound preference. Do you prefer a warm or analytic sound? I have a strong preference for a warm sound so the 5TX is an easy choice. If you prefer a clean, analytic sound go for the 5N, or 5P if your priority is bass. 

Hope this helps.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #3,180 of 4,123
Originally Posted by flinkenick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you're trying to make a choice, I would focus on your sound preference. Do you prefer a warm or analytic sound? I have a strong preference for a warm sound so the 5TX is an easy choice. If you prefer a clean, analytic sound go for the 5N, or 5P if your priority is bass. 

Hope this helps.

Thank you, it helps. My problem though is that I still don't know what kind of sound I prefer, because I only have the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (which I like) and nothing else for comparison, and thus I have little experience with what "warm" and "analytical" means. But from what I've read, of the two, I think "warm" would be the safest choice for people not really knowing what they want, so perhaps I'll see if I can get my hands on a 5TX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back