Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Jan 17, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #1,726 of 4,123

Quote:

Has anyone tried pairing the AH-Dxxxx with the Headstage Arrow HE xG? I've order the Headstage Arrow HE 3G to replace by Fiio e5 in my setup. Cowon S9->Fiio E5->Sennheiser IE7. I listen to electronica specifically trance and dance, POP, and occasionally acoustic remixes. The IE7/E5 are a great pairing and I do enjoy using the +3dB bass boost.

I've been researching for my first full-size over-the-ear cans for a while now. After reading through countless threads on Beyer 770, AKG 702, Grado etc, I'm really excited by the AH-D2000. From what I've read, it sounds like the D2000's give full surrounding bass that doesn't feel hollow nor drowns or colors the mids too much. I'm not looking for 100% purity but as others have put it "fun phones". I'm sure these, when properly driven, will sound great on the Cowon using BBE 3.0.

My new dream set: Cowon s9 -> Headstage Arrow HE 3G -> Denon AH-D2000. 

PS: order No. 3053 Status: processing order Ordered: 1-3-11 
Thanks for any input.

iPod Touch 4G => Arrow G3.0 => Denon D7000, and HR Ultra Desktop DAC section => Arrow G3.0 => Denon D7000, Macbook Pro => DAC Cable => D7000's.  The Arrow does a heck of a nice job with the denons.  It does not best the Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp, but it does a fine job - probably nearly what my Dynalo did.  I still think the denon's do best with a nice desktop amp, but they do well enough with the Arrow that I've considered a pair of D2000's to pair with it for the office.

Other comments from the pairings above - the iPod touch 4G is a pretty decent source!  The DAC section of the HR UDA is better, but not as much as I'd thought.  I think the touch is better than the dac cable, and the dac cable is really a decent dac and the best value around for a $70 dac.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #1,727 of 4,123
I'd like to write some first impressions;

First, this thing is too thin. When I first saw them, I really said "How?". I like its form factor very very much for my diyMod.

Soundwise, like everyone said this is a neutral amp. Sounds decent. I have nothing to criticise.

About switches; I am very against EQing the signal but I cant help myself using Bass on I. I like its warmness and tightness very much.

About hiss, this is a 3G version. There is no hiss with my UM Mage customs at my listening level. If I open the volume very high, I hear hiss, but I think this is normal. No way I can listen music at that volume level. (When using impedance at 0, Gain I)

My only criticism is about volume pot. There is an obvious channel imbalance at starting volume level. You cant feel and notice the difference (if any) while listening to music.

(It's a thick version 5G diyMod (120GB))

A thickness comparison with Little Dot MKI+

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #1,728 of 4,123
I couldn't ask for a better portable to pair with those two vastly different phones. It's really ridiculous how versatile and efficient the Arrow is. A lot of us here pair the Arrow with the HD650 and believe it or not, it works extremely well. Personally, I've been cranking the gain on the Arrow up to III when pairing with the HD650s. I like to drive the volume with the amp and not the PMP. No hiss or distortion, plenty of power, the HD650s sound like they're plugged into something bigger and more expensive, and I get about 15 hours of battery life on full tilt.

I love the SE530s through the Arrow. Some don't, but I get nothing but pleasure. I leave the impedance at 0, set the gain to I or II (yes, II) and bump the Arrow bass boost to I or, occasionally, II. The Shures are bass anemic, but they sound so good driven by the Arrow. Also, lately I've been experimenting with the crossfeed setting and I've left it on setting I for a couple of weeks. I think it makes for a more natural listening experience and with less fatigue for those heads-down moments at work where only metal can distract me from storming into the server room, yanking out all the Ethernet cables and making my own version of the Burning Man. :wink:

Quote:
@ Mediaogre, How does it pair with the SE530 and HD650?

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #1,729 of 4,123
Every day I pick up my J3 and Arrow combo (usually first thing in the morning) I cant help but say "damn, I cant believe its such a sleek package".  Im just besides myself about it. Ive used other portable amps in the past and every time Ive picked those rigs up I felt like I was picking up a rock and depending on what I was wearing I wasnt sure where I was going to put it. I havent checked but it has to be a thinner package than the D2 with noreve case, and maybe the D2 by itself. It all fits in my hand perfect and the weight is still just right. Ive had it I think a couple weeks now and there is not a bit of regret. Cant wait to hear it with my MSII+ next week.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #1,732 of 4,123
I know you have mentioned it before but it's not in your sig, Mediaogre so I have to ask. What generation Arrow HE are you referring to here?

Quote:
I couldn't ask for a better portable to pair with those two vastly different phones. It's really ridiculous how versatile and efficient the Arrow is. A lot of us here pair the Arrow with the HD650 and believe it or not, it works extremely well. Personally, I've been cranking the gain on the Arrow up to III when pairing with the HD650s. I like to drive the volume with the amp and not the PMP. No hiss or distortion, plenty of power, the HD650s sound like they're plugged into something bigger and more expensive, and I get about 15 hours of battery life on full tilt.

I love the SE530s through the Arrow. Some don't, but I get nothing but pleasure. I leave the impedance at 0, set the gain to I or II (yes, II) and bump the Arrow bass boost to I or, occasionally, II. The Shures are bass anemic, but they sound so good driven by the Arrow. Also, lately I've been experimenting with the crossfeed setting and I've left it on setting I for a couple of weeks. I think it makes for a more natural listening experience and with less fatigue for those heads-down moments at work where only metal can distract me from storming into the server room, yanking out all the Ethernet cables and making my own version of the Burning Man. :wink:

Quote:
@ Mediaogre, How does it pair with the SE530 and HD650?

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #1,733 of 4,123
Ogre, you sound like me, lol...I used to be a systems/network admin, and it took LOTS of death metal to flush my head of all the assholery I had to deal with on a daily basis... And yeah, Bay Area FTW!

~~~~~~~

Regarding the channel imbalance with the ALPS pot...it's so insanely slight, and at the lowest volume, that it isn't an issue at all, as far as I'm concerned.  Once you hit the minimum listenable level you can't even notice it anymore.  Also, a few people have mentioned crackling or noise when changing volume up or down...well, it's really a trade-off, because that noise could be stifled with additional circuitry and resistors in the signal path, but omitting this allows for a purer and cleaner signal.  I can't find it now, but HeadRoom used to have a note about this on their site regarding the Total Airhead, and their conclusion was that the unimpeded signal sounded much better (and I agree).  So to those of you that are bothered by the crackling of the pot, rest assured it's normal, lol.

~~~~~~~~~

I think the form factor with the J3 is a match made in heaven...the entire unit feels so good in the hand, and they look awesome coupled.  I use a super short Whiplash TWag mini with the big rhodium plated Oyaide right angles, and the whole system together is STILL smaller and lighter than just my old Zen Xtra 60gb...so cool.  I have to post pics eventually...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soundwise, I'm loving the Arrow's contribution to the overall sound.  I'm using it with imp on O, and  bass boost, gain, and crossfeed all on I.  I have listened to some music with bass on II, but it's a LOT of bass.  Somehow it still stays controlled and coherent on II, but it's just too much for most types of music.  Heck, even on I it can be a bit much for things like podcasts and such - I listen to a lot of BBC shows, and the bass boost sometimes makes some voices boomy (not really "boomy", but...I don't know..."P"s and "B"s can be explosive if they are spoken too closely to the mic). 

With the Arrow in the mix, I'm using the J3 at a volume level of 32, and the J3 is fantastic at sculpting the sound to my liking. The Arrow just adds a touch of life, almost like a tube amp, but not nearly as colored.  The SM3's don't gain anything really in terms of control or anything, but the T50p's and ESW9's both benefit quite a bit.  The ESW9's have more sparkle and clarity, with a very visceral low end.  The Beyers sound amazing...they retain their brightness and smoothness, but the mids are less recessed and the bass...my god, the bass that seemed hidden in the mix really sounds much more in line with the rest of the spectrum, and it is very solid.  I've yet to try driving the HD650's, but the T50p's remind me a lot of the HD650 with a good tube amp (although in a closed design, obviously, lol).

The Arrow seems to impart a lot more control and adds power and presence more than anything...there's no coloration, no changing of the sound that I can detect, and really allows a quality source to be on display with quality phones...

More to come...I'm only at about 10 hours of burn-in...

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #1,734 of 4,123
Has anyone tried the Arrow with the GR10s?  :) 

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #1,735 of 4,123
I thought you might get around to asking that, Grokit. And, CRAP. I'll amend my sig. 1G, my man. So, yeah - I've got the 10-120-70 ( 0 II I ) impedance switch measurements.

Quote:
I know you have mentioned it before but it's not in your sig, Mediaogre so I have to ask. What generation Arrow HE are you referring to here?

Quote:

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #1,736 of 4,123
Lol, yeah. Client focus, focus, focus through the ACOG scope. Sit still, dammit! :wink:

Well said, GM, in every area. I've mentioned the *slight* channel imbalance, but only in the spirit of honesty and accuracy. It is a non-issue.

The crackle... people, please. If there's anyone complaining about that you know it's only when the Arrow is "warming up" and rubbing the sleep out of its eyes. It goes away in approximately 7.6 seconds after turning it on. Frankly, I find it enduring. Come to think of it, my Gibson Les Paul does it on the volume pot, has done it for years, and it doesn't bother me. I think there's a remedy even. Some pot goo for oxidation, corrosion or something. :-/ <<<WARNING: BUNG SPEAK

Again, well said. Especially, your summary comment, "The Arrow seems to impart a lot more control and adds power and presence more than anything...there's no coloration, no changing of the sound that I can detect, and really allows a quality source to be on display with quality phones..." Mmm, good.

Quote:
Ogre, you sound like me, lol...I used to be a systems/network admin, and it took LOTS of death metal to flush my head of all the assholery I had to deal with on a daily basis... And yeah, Bay Area FTW!

~~~~~~~

Regarding the channel imbalance with the ALPS pot...it's so insanely slight, and at the lowest volume, that it isn't an issue at all, as far as I'm concerned.  Once you hit the minimum listenable level you can't even notice it anymore.  Also, a few people have mentioned crackling or noise when changing volume up or down...well, it's really a trade-off, because that noise could be stifled with additional circuitry and resistors in the signal path, but omitting this allows for a purer and cleaner signal.  I can't find it now, but HeadRoom used to have a note about this on their site regarding the Total Airhead, and their conclusion was that the unimpeded signal sounded much better (and I agree).  So to those of you that are bothered by the crackling of the pot, rest assured it's normal, lol.

~~~~~~~~~

I think the form factor with the J3 is a match made in heaven...the entire unit feels so good in the hand, and they look awesome coupled.  I use a super short Whiplash TWag mini with the big rhodium plated Oyaide right angles, and the whole system together is STILL smaller and lighter than just my old Zen Xtra 60gb...so cool.  I have to post pics eventually...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soundwise, I'm loving the Arrow's contribution to the overall sound.  I'm using it with imp on O, and  bass boost, gain, and crossfeed all on I.  I have listened to some music with bass on II, but it's a LOT of bass.  Somehow it still stays controlled and coherent on II, but it's just too much for most types of music.  Heck, even on I it can be a bit much for things like podcasts and such - I listen to a lot of BBC shows, and the bass boost sometimes makes some voices boomy (not really "boomy", but...I don't know..."P"s and "B"s can be explosive if they are spoken too closely to the mic). 

With the Arrow in the mix, I'm using the J3 at a volume level of 32, and the J3 is fantastic at sculpting the sound to my liking. The Arrow just adds a touch of life, almost like a tube amp, but not nearly as colored.  The SM3's don't gain anything really in terms of control or anything, but the T50p's and ESW9's both benefit quite a bit.  The ESW9's have more sparkle and clarity, with a very visceral low end.  The Beyers sound amazing...they retain their brightness and smoothness, but the mids are less recessed and the bass...my god, the bass that seemed hidden in the mix really sounds much more in line with the rest of the spectrum, and it is very solid.  I've yet to try driving the HD650's, but the T50p's remind me a lot of the HD650 with a good tube amp (although in a closed design, obviously, lol).

The Arrow seems to impart a lot more control and adds power and presence more than anything...there's no coloration, no changing of the sound that I can detect, and really allows a quality source to be on display with quality phones...

More to come...I'm only at about 10 hours of burn-in...

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #1,738 of 4,123

Quote:

Exactly what I found with the SM3 too. It's great with just about everything else I throw at it though. It does great for my new Sony Z1000s, and I really look forward to hearing what sort of improvements I hear with the incoming Pro 900s.

Hope you continue to enjoy the Arrow, I'm sure it was worth the wait....

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #1,739 of 4,123

Quote:
I thought you might get around to asking that, Grokit. And, CRAP. I'll amend my sig. 1G, my man. So, yeah - I've got the 10-120-70 ( 0 II I ) impedance switch measurements.

Quote:

Are you planning/on the list for the 3G upgrade? I am on the list but feel just a bit apprehensive. I love my G1 but since it was only $25 I didn't want to miss out on any improvements.
blink.gif

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #1,740 of 4,123
After a weekend of auditions, my conclusions about the Arrow have changed greatly.

The Arrow is extremely neutral and amplifies the signal in a very clean way, so leave all the qualities, characteristics and defects of the player in evidence. And this was the problem I was facing, right after receiving the amplifier.

Depending on the settings used, the Cowon J3 is a very precise and detailed player or, as some say, analytic. And as the Arrow is, as I said above, neutral, it also amplifies this precision and detail characteristics, and with some headphones, the result is an unnatural sound, or even, very digital.

So who uses the Arrow with the Cowon J3, a warning: Be careful with the BBE, MP Enhance and Stereo Enhance options , as these options has the feature of letting the sound more clear and analytical, making the sound much digitized and unnatural. Already, the lowest options leaves a neutral or warm sound. Thus, with the Cowon J3 + Arrow setup, it is important to get a setting that is not overly bright or too hot and boring. The balance is very welcome.

Result of tests for some headphones

SE530 + J3 + Arrow (Bass: 0; Cross: I; Gain: I; Imp: 0) - After messing up with the Cowon settings for this headphone using the Arrow, is gone the feeling of aggressiveness that this setup provided. What I found is a full sound with good soundstage and musical image. The problem was a very digital sound to my liking, and after some attempts in equalizer/BBE effects, a dark sound. I'm still looking for the best EQ for this headphone;

DBA-02 + J3 + Arrow (Bass: I; Cross: I; Gain: 0; Imp: 0 or I) - I got this headphone, after much waiting and fighting, at the end of last week. This is the setup where the Cowon J3 works as closely as possible on flat settings, including the MP Enhance option in off. The amount and quality of detail in this headphone is impressive, with good aeration and soundstage, although this is not very accurate, hindering the construction of the musical image. The bass, with proper equalizing and the use of bass option in Arrow, are quite well defined, dry and fast. The mids have good tonal timbre and treble are clear and extended. This headphone is a kind of cousin of the Ety ER4, with a sound signature directed to the detail, however, makes it in a competent way.

Ety ER4 + J3 + Arrow (Bass: 1; Cross 0; Gain: I; Imp: 0) - Once past the shock of the DBA, I believe the Ety ER4P + P to S adapter is the best headphone for this setup. To give you an idea, this is a dark headphone in comparison with the DBA-02... So the first thing that draws attention in this setup is the elegant way in which the detail is delivered to the listener. While the DBA-02 delivers the details without any ceremony, the ER4 does this by creating an excellent sound stage with a convincing musical image, a slightly warm sound signature. The ety creates an conducive and relaxed atmosphere to delivery his details

Now, an explanation: The best option with ER4P is the use of P to S adapter, than using the impedance option on the Arrow. To me, at least. With the adapter, the musical image representation is much more focused and precise, as well as the correct extension of the soundstage. Moreover, the impedance option on the Arrow, without the P to S adapter, left the sound too far away, with the musical image and soundstage too much vague, unfocused. This, to me, is the difference in sound between the adapter and impedance option (position II) in the Arrow, that is, in the end, only 10 ohms...

Still not finished... :O) It is worth mentioning the excellent crossfeed function in the Arrow. With it enabled, the sound is much more natural and engaging, the sound takes off his ears and is floating above his head. This option is essential that those phones have some difficulty with the maintenance of the musical image. On the other hand (and there is always some...), the quality of construction of the musical image of the Ety's is so good and real that I leave this option disabled when I'm listening.

Sorry about my bad english...
wink_face.gif

Cheers,

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back