Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Jan 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #1,696 of 4,123

Um, I might be being stupid here, but surely if you plan to convert those ER4P into ER4S, then you'll be needing the Arrow to drive them adequately?  I cant say for sure because I havent tried them with the J3, but my iPod Classic definitely needing amping to drive the ER4S I had a while ago.  The ER4P worked perfectly well, but the S was a different beast.

Quote:
The things are, sometimes, funny... After nearly five months of waiting and holding one of the best headphone amplifiers that have passed through my hands, I found that I do not need it. I'll probably sell my Headstage Arrow.

Let me explain:

I like IEM's a lot. To me, they are the best option in terms of portable sound. I like the sound presentation, the detail, the intimacy between the listener and his music and its small size or portability. At the beginning of my Head-Fi life, I had some full-size headphones, like a Beyer DT880 and a Philips HP1000 and they never sounded so good as my current IEM´s, because the lack of power from my portable setup.

In fact, I believe that full-size headphones are not made for portable setups, but I will not open this thread here, to the lack of knowledge I have with this type of equipment. And also, because here is not the place for it.

I concluded that IEM´s, in general, do not require amplification, since you use a good source with a functional equalizer, like is the Cowon J3.

This morning I realized some tests with my Ety ER4P along with the Arrow and the result, although doing much better than the Shure SE530, was also an over-aggressive sound, wich I dont like in my headphones. Do not confuse energetic sound, which I quite like, with aggressive sound, that makes me tired after a short time of hearing.

My Shure and Ety work very well connected directly to the Cowon and I found no great benefit when amplified by the Arrow, with its extreme neutrality. The solution is to find the best possible equalization for each headphone, which is not hard with this player.

Further, I also learned that IEM´s, when they do not have a good synergy with a particular player, they should not be fixed with the use of an headphone amplifier. They must be sold to try other options that are on the market. And I will start to flee headphones so-called "audiophiles", with too high impedance .

Next actions to be taken:

1 - Sell the Arrow;
2 - Send my ER4P to Etymotic Reasearch to replace the cable to ER4S version. I hate to use the P to S adapter;
3 - Sell the Head-Direct RE-0, which does not have good synergy with the Cowon J3;
4 - Using the money from the sale and purchase another equipment, perhaps a Hifiman HM-601...
biggrin.gif

Finally, let me make very clear to prospective buyers that the Headstage Arrow is one of the best headphone amps in the market. You can buy it with your eyes closed. He was the one that solidified my decision to no longer require them. All of them.

Cheers,

Peter

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #1,700 of 4,123
In our audiophile world, there is no absolute truth, only what our ears tell us...

There is no absurdity in what you said. I just think the sound of ER4S is much better than ER4P and the difference among them, using only the J3, not counting the sound signature, is only in the amount of volume used. The J3 is quite capable of pushing the ER4S correctly.

To me, at least.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
Um, I might be being stupid here, but surely if you plan to convert those ER4P into ER4S, then you'll be needing the Arrow to drive them adequately?  I cant say for sure because I havent tried them with the J3, but my iPod Classic definitely needing amping to drive the ER4S I had a while ago.  The ER4P worked perfectly well, but the S was a different beast.

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #1,702 of 4,123
You find the only difference between the P and S to be the amount of volume required to drive them?  They sound vastly different to my ears. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #1,703 of 4,123
For me too. The ER4S, as said above, using an amplifier or not, is far superior to ER4P. There is no comparison.

What I meant, in general, is that simply increasing the volume of J3 is sufficient to make it  sound correctly.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
You find the only difference between the P and S to be the amount of volume required to drive them?  They sound vastly different to my ears. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #1,704 of 4,123
Quote:
For me too. The ER4S, as said above, using an amplifier or not, is far superior to ER4P. There is no comparison.

What I meant, in general, is that simply increasing the volume of J3 is sufficient to make it  sound correctly.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:

Ah, ok, gotcha.  That makes sense, lol.  I too think the S sounds much better...very analytical and flat, no coloration, great for critical listening.  That said, though, after using the P (and as S, with the adapter cable) for four years,  I came to be really bored with the sound of them both.  No amount of EQing or bass enhancement ever got them to the point where they were musical and "fun" for me.  Just too dry and sterile, not to mention the god-awful comfort issues with the stock tips (I have others to try on them now, but no tip can do a thing as a remedy  for the sound).  Don't get me wrong...I still like them, I just don't find myself doing critical listening when I'm out and about, and when I'm home I tend to use my HD650's and Woo 3, so they just don't seem to have a place in my collection any longer.

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #1,705 of 4,123

You make critical listening sound like a disease.....

I agree though - the Ety ER4s are drier than sandpaper on toast

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:

Ah, ok, gotcha.  That makes sense, lol.  I too think the S sounds much better...very analytical and flat, no coloration, great for critical listening.  That said, though, after using the P (and as S, with the adapter cable) for four years,  I came to be really bored with the sound of them both.  No amount of EQing or bass enhancement ever got them to the point where they were musical and "fun" for me.  Just too dry and sterile, not to mention the god-awful comfort issues with the stock tips (I have others to try on them now, but no tip can do a thing as a remedy  for the sound).  Don't get me wrong...I still like them, I just don't find myself doing critical listening when I'm out and about, and when I'm home I tend to use my HD650's and Woo 3, so they just don't seem to have a place in my collection any longer.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #1,706 of 4,123

Lol...well, I used to think analytical, flat, neutral, ruthlessly revealing and uncolored were all things I wanted, but by the time I got there I just found it to be boring, and listening to music that way all the time just sort of took the fun out of it...coincidentally, my love affair with all of that ended around the time I heard a tube amp for the first time, lol.  I still go in for critical listening sessions, I've just learned to "hear around" the things my equipment add to the mix.

Quote:
You make critical listening sound like a disease.....

I agree though - the Ety ER4s are drier than sandpaper on toast

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,707 of 4,123
It's confirmed, to my ears at least:

Without the Arrow, my ER4P with P to S adapter, connected to the Cowon J3, gets a touch of warmth and musicality, while the musical image and soundstage are increased. This headphone, with this setup, is less dry and fast, you lose some precision and focus and the bass become more reverberant. In general, this headphone sounds more like a full-sized headphones.

The volume used in Cowon was 34 and I can show the equalization used, if any curiosity or interest of someone.

Cheers,

Peter

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #1,708 of 4,123
Jan 13, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #1,709 of 4,123
Yes, I will!

Complementing, do you know a Stereogram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereogram), specialy the autostereogram type?

Because this is the way I hear a ER4S + Cowon J3.

This headphone is capable of displaying the musical image that I never heard before in other headphones. I realy like it.
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
Yes please...post your ER4 EQ settings in the J3 user EQ thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531603/cowon-j3-personal-user-eq-settings 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back