Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Jan 10, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,666 of 4,123
So now you're not hearing hiss but you are hearing static? I'm confused, what about the hiss?
confused.gif

Quote:
Well I just pulled my J3>Arrow>SE530 out to test more carefully. I plugged them in after my Grados and didnt play with the settings. I was hoping it would behave with any settings.

Volume J3 = 30
IMP = II
Gain = I

Pretty quiet, just a little static.

Gain II causes slightly more static.
Gain III is off the charts static.
While leaving on Gain I
IMP I slight static
IMP 0 is actually more static
IMP II for some reason is best
Gain I, IMP II seems the best with J3 at 30 and Arrow volume up all the way.

Volume J3 = 20
IMP = II
Gain = I

Once again the best settings. But still static.

The results are the same as above but greatly reduced. Id say the noise level for J3 volume 30 is a 6 and J3 volume 20 is maybe 1 or 2.

Remember Arrow Volume is cranked and the player is paused.

Then I unplug the J3. Amp is obviously still powered up. Low and behold my findings with the J3 volume 20 are about the same as the Arrow plugged straight into my headphones, no player at all.

Also I should say Im sensitive to static. I hate it!!

J3 is now on charge, Ill test more later. But with SE530 plugged into arrow, and admittedly my mini to mini also plugged in but only on the Arrow side Im hearing static.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #1,667 of 4,123
I thought I read in this thread a little way back that the J3 introduces hiss with an amp when the volume is 30 or over, and that it's recommended to keep it in the twenties. Am I mistaken?

edit- oh, nvm, I see pseudohippy's volume on the J3 is at 20... for some reason I thought I saw 30. Doh!

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #1,668 of 4,123
EDIT: these impressions were based on looking for the hiss right out of the box...mind over matter, you'll hear it if you want to hear it.  For a more fair and balanced impression regarding hiss on the Arrow, see below (hint: source dependant)

Ok, initial hiss impressions...J3 (vol. 30 and paused) > Whiplash TWag > Arrow (zero burn-in) > EarSonics SM3.
IMP= O
Gain= I
Cross= I
Bass = I

Hissy.  Is it a deal-breaker?  No.  The hiss is slight (but noticeable) with no signal, but when playing music it's fine.  SQ overall is outstanding and bass is coherent and powerful.  Crossfeed is subtle.  Highs are smooth.

As gain is increased, the hiss ramps up quite a bit, but the higher gain settings with these IEMs is completely unnecessary.  I can completely kill the hiss with the higher impedance settings (and gain on I), but the tradeoff is rolled off treble and the SM3's don't need that, lol.

That's about all I've had time to try so far.  I wanted to get to the heart of the G3 hiss issue, and it's not THAT big of a deal with my sensitive stuff.  I need more time with the amp and playing around with other phones and settings, and I'll post full impressions later.  This is just out of the box, lol.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #1,669 of 4,123
If people with pre-G2.2 versions do not have the hiss issue and the treble does not seem to be dulled, then maybe 10ohm resistance is the amount perfect for the IEMs (for the Triple.Fi, even 10 would kill the treble). Keep in mind the G3 has 0/20/65 compared to the pre G2.2's 10/65/110. Those of you with the hissing issue, you should email Robert and see if he could change the impedance setting to 0/10/55 which would be perfect for most if not all IEMs.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #1,670 of 4,123
Ok, here's my take on the whole hiss issue...it's a non-issue.  Rob responded to my email within minutes, and said:

"[size=11pt]You really hear a hiss on the lowest gain? Please turn down the volume, set the impedance switch to OFF and disconnect the player. When you turn in and out your IEM’s plug you hear a hiss? If yes, your ears must be very good![/size]

[size=11pt]About the resistors…they are still there when you set the IMP switch to I or II. But in the earlier version there was a 10 ohm resistor at IMP=0 which is not there anymore.[/size]

[size=9pt]Regards[/size]
[size=9pt]Robert "[/size]

[size=9pt]Under those parameters, no, there is NO hiss.  I'm only getting it on the SM3's when settings on the amp are beyond "reasonable", for example, higher gain settings, impedance off, and volume set to "uncomfortable and beyond" levels.  [size=x-small]For perspective, I can't even USE my SM3's with my Headroom Total Airhead because of the hissing.   [/size][/size]

[size=9pt]Honestly, I think it's a matter of people hearing about hiss, and others going looking for it and of course pushing the amp until they find some (which is what I did).  MY initial impression was based on looking for it,  just like everyone else, and it's sort of an unfair test - had I listened to music at those levels I would have damaged my ears or IEMs. Mountains out of molehills.  Compared to other portable amps I've tried, it's quieter, smaller, more versatile, more transparent, and more powerful than any of them.  [/size]

[size=9pt]As for my dented case, Robert is sending me a new one, no problem at all.  The long wait, long ship time, and no tracking put a slightly bitter taste in my mouth, but the end product and continued support so far is making up for that.[/size]

[size=9pt]EDIT: further testing shows me that a lot of the hiss is dependant on source, for sure.  J3 owners, take note...I get the beginning hissing above volume 28 or so.  Setting at 30 is a good tradeoff, while using the amp to control volume.  At this level, I can set impedance to O, gain to I, and drive the SM3's just fine.  I tried using a portable CD player I have with a line out, and at those settings I didn't get his until the last one or two percent of full volume, well beyond brain meltingly loud levels.  So, the hiss is very dependant on source...[/size]

[size=9pt]What really blew my mind with the Arrow was using it with the Beyer T50p's!  Amping the J3 (vol. 30), imp O gain I, there was no hiss, but I needed to turn the amp up to about 75-80% full volume.  Gain II, imp I gave me much more control, and toned down the overly bright treble of the Beyers.  Gain II, imp O was fine, but the hiss was there at (again) mostly full blast, and the bright nature of the phones again jumped to the forefront. [/size]

[size=9pt]T50p + Arrow is amazing...anyone thinking these phones are somehow bass-shy should try them with the Arrow, and bass boost set to I or II.  Palpable and yet not overly bloated on I, and positively pounding on II.  And running the line out from the CD player, I had to drop back down to gain I, imp O.  Amazing.  I can't wait to play around with the Arrow and HD650.[/size]

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #1,671 of 4,123

Quote:
I thought I read in this thread a little way back that the J3 introduces hiss with an amp when the volume is 30 or over, and that it's recommended to keep it in the twenties. Am I mistaken?

This mostly depends on what EQ/BBE settings one uses. Played flat or with most stock presets the J3 is generally dead silent up to 40, especially when feeding an amp instead of phones (just slight hiss with difficult high-sensitivity IEMs, without amp). With custom-tweaked user presets it's possible to make it hiss quite a bit more.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #1,673 of 4,123
I was using the J3 flat. But please dont misunderstand me. I tested the way I did which may have been unfair. And the truth is I dont even care all that much about the hiss. Im mostly just using it will full size phones that dont hiss at all so Im perfectly happy. It does wonderful things with my Grados. If I do use IEM's Ill try what you said Golden Monkey. The Arrow is by far the best portable amp Ive ever used and the fact I can carry it so easily in any pocket I want makes it incredibly convenient.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #1,675 of 4,123

Quote:
I was using the J3 flat. But please dont misunderstand me. I tested the way I did which may have been unfair. And the truth is I dont even care all that much about the hiss. Im mostly just using it will full size phones that dont hiss at all so Im perfectly happy. It does wonderful things with my Grados. If I do use IEM's Ill try what you said Golden Monkey. The Arrow is by far the best portable amp Ive ever used and the fact I can carry it so easily in any pocket I want makes it incredibly convenient.

But what about the static, how are you with that?

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #1,676 of 4,123

Quote:

Quote:

But what about the static, how are you with that?

Well, if you read my testing above which Im sure you have I was pretty hard on it. I dont know at this point. Its fine. There is most undoubtably static but with the settings you can almost eliminate it. Besides the tiny amount you hear with no player involved at all. My Grados dont hiss and thats all that matters to me anyhow. There are some out there that say it is dead silent. Maybe mine isnt as perfect as theirs. Id need another arrow to side by side with. Maybe someone will have one at the Seattle meet on the 5th of March.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #1,678 of 4,123
Quote:
My Arrow G1 is dead silent with any head/earphones I've used. I set impedance to 10 and don't feel the need to change it.

But what happens when you use your most sensitive IEMs, crank up the gain all the way, turn up the volume to near full blast, and have your source plugged in but at a high volume and paused?

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #1,679 of 4,123

Quote:
Quote:
My Arrow G1 is dead silent with any head/earphones I've used. I set impedance to 10 and don't feel the need to change it.

But what happens when you use your most sensitive IEMs, crank up the gain all the way, turn up the volume to near full blast, and have your source plugged in but at a high volume and paused?

I only have Copper turbine IEMs and have never heard noticeable hiss.

Under the situation you describe I think you'd hear hiss with most amps.  The settings on the arrow are to complement your gear/set-up. I don't understand why anyone would "use sensitive IEMs, crank up the gain all the way, turn up the volume to near full blast, and have your source plugged in but at a high volume and paused", but that's just me.

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #1,680 of 4,123
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I only have Copper turbine IEMs and have never heard noticeable hiss.

Under the situation you describe I think you'd hear hiss with most amps.  The settings on the arrow are to complement your gear/set-up. I don't understand why anyone would "use sensitive IEMs, crank up the gain all the way, turn up the volume to near full blast, and have your source plugged in but at a high volume and paused", but that's just me.

But that's my point...if you (not YOU you, just "you" in general) are concerned about hissing that you've heard about, you're going to go looking for it, and you're going to find it.  With any amp.  It's not practical for any normal listening, but people will do stuff like that, say "omg! I hear hissing too!", and the fearmongering spreads.  At any normal, reasonable settings and listening levels, I detect NO HISSING.  Anything beyond "uncomfortably loud and overdriven", sure...hiss city.  G3 hissing is a non-issue as I stated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back