Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Jan 20, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #1,756 of 4,123
FWIW - my HD650s are dead silent (until I crank the volume and the thunder ensues 
L3000.gif
 ) on gain III.

Quote:
I hope you don't mind if I chime in...

With my Pro 750s (almost identical to your 900s) I have it set on Bass: "I", Cross: "0" (or "I" if listening to heavily-panned music), Impedance: "0", Gain: "II"

Do you get any noise on the higher gain settings with full sized cans?

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #1,757 of 4,123
Thanks for the replies.
Well, I'll get to test it a little more, once I get back from work. For now, I'm interested in how gain II improves upon gain I. as I felt with gain I the pro 900s were plenty loud. btw, how long does charing take?

On a side note: I really liked the overly simplistic design, as it really gave the impression that some bloke assembled it in his garage and sent it off :) 

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,758 of 4,123

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
Well, I'll get to test it a little more, once I get back from work. For now, I'm interested in how gain II improves upon gain I. as I felt with gain I the pro 900s were plenty loud. btw, how long does charing take?

On a side note: I really liked the overly simplistic design, as it really gave the impression that some bloke assembled it in his garage and sent it off :) 

It depends on your source.  My preferred source to amplify is my Cowon J3 which I think sounds best at about 50% volume before being fed to the amp, therefore the gain on the Arrow needs to upped to setting: "II."

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #1,759 of 4,123
Cool, I still need to give the HD650/Arrow combo a whirl...no time though, lol.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #1,760 of 4,123
I have been primarily listening to my 3G with my two fav frankenphones I built and I have been nothing but impressed with this little beast. I have had some most enjoyable listening sessions. This amp is certainly worth every penny and then some. I know Rob upped the price recently. I still say it is worth more than its cost. Count me uber impressed!

Jan 22, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #1,761 of 4,123
Man, I thought you got yours forever ago! Okay, I'll bite. Frankenphones? 
atsmile.gif

Quote:
I have been primarily listening to my 3G with my two fav frankenphones I built and I have been nothing but impressed with this little beast. I have had some most enjoyable listening sessions. This amp is certainly worth every penny and then some. I know Rob upped the price recently. I still say it is worth more than its cost. Count me uber impressed!

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #1,762 of 4,123
I build my own headphones by combining and modding parts. I retrofitted a pair of DT880 drivers into an old Sennheiser HD590 chassis - very musical sounding. Then I took a M-Audio Q40 chassis and upgraded the headband and earpads, treated the sound chambers and retrofitted a pair of Shure's SRH750DJ drivers. Worked out to be a basshead's dream.

There are others I've done but you get the idea.

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #1,763 of 4,123

Quote:
I couldn't ask for a better portable to pair with those two vastly different phones. It's really ridiculous how versatile and efficient the Arrow is. A lot of us here pair the Arrow with the HD650 and believe it or not, it works extremely well. Personally, I've been cranking the gain on the Arrow up to III when pairing with the HD650s. I like to drive the volume with the amp and not the PMP. No hiss or distortion, plenty of power, the HD650s sound like they're plugged into something bigger and more expensive, and I get about 15 hours of battery life on full tilt.

I love the SE530s through the Arrow. Some don't, but I get nothing but pleasure. I leave the impedance at 0, set the gain to I or II (yes, II) and bump the Arrow bass boost to I or, occasionally, II. The Shures are bass anemic, but they sound so good driven by the Arrow. Also, lately I've been experimenting with the crossfeed setting and I've left it on setting I for a couple of weeks. I think it makes for a more natural listening experience and with less fatigue for those heads-down moments at work where only metal can distract me from storming into the server room, yanking out all the Ethernet cables and making my own version of the Burning Man. :wink:

Quote:
@ Mediaogre, How does it pair with the SE530 and HD650?

Im using UM3X now and probably wont upgrade in 1-2 years (hopefully)... When i auditioned it, the signature is similar to SE530 so I guess the arrow would work similarly with my um3x. After gathered enough fund after it, i might also jump to headphones... HD650 is my first option :D

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #1,764 of 4,123
I ordered some HD 650's that should arrive by next Tues.  I will let you know how they sound with my Arrow 3G. 

A question for the gang.  I have an iphone 4 as well as some older ipods that I can use via LOD to my arrow.  I have caught the bug and now I am wondering if I should get a Sansa or a Cowon.  I have heard that the iphone 4 sounds pretty dang good.  Has anybody here compared the iphone 4/LOD to the Sansa (no LOD apparently) or the Cowon through the Arrow?  Is there really a difference? 

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #1,766 of 4,123
Hi all,

I recently obtained a FiiO E5. It is my first headphone amplifier ever. However, I am not satisfied with it for the following reasons:

1. Bass boost, is good, and so far, has been used instead of remaining unused. However, it seems to color the sound and muddies it, in a very almost mild way.

2. Even with the FiiO E5 maxed out, I still feel I'm not getting enough volume for my headphones (Creative Aurvana X-Fi). Sometimes the magic middle position seems to suffice, but, upon closer inspection, it seems to introduce some distortion.

Will a Headphonia Arrow HE solve these two problems? Will it have a better more transparent bass boost and enough volume for me? Will its sound stage be more transparent and clearer? Is it worth (with the DAC USB cable) approximately 10 FiiO E5s?

Thanking you all,
Siddharth.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #1,768 of 4,123
Quote:
There's hardy any real difference between any of the modern quality players. I did volume-matched AB tests between a dozen players, and they all sound basically the same.

Amen brother...I'm glad SOMEONE around here has the courage to state this.  It's like all the million shades of grey differences between amps...a good amp is a good amp.  It's the feature sets that set them apart.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #1,769 of 4,123

Quote:
Quote:
There's hardly any real difference between any of the modern quality players. I did volume-matched AB tests between a dozen players, and they all sound basically the same.

wat ........... two wolfson dacs don't increase "soundstage"

It's not that there is NO difference, it's just more subtle than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back