Headphones with the best soundstage...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2014 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Dobrescu George

Reviewer: AudiophileHeaven
I read a lot, and i need to ask this, because no solution to my question seems to be already answered...

I want to fiind the headphones that have the best soundstage ever... they have to be over the ear, and to be closed back... i cannot listen to open back headphones....

my source will be a fiio x5, and a fiio e12 mont blanc as an amp, if needed, and if it makes my day, i am willing to buy a chord hugo....

i am watching 
Ultrasone signature dj
Ultrasone signature pro
LCD XC

any recommandation is welcome... i listen to all music generes,.... budget is irrelevant... any help is welcome.....

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 27
i am soundstage guy and as for closed back i own the t5p and the Edition 8 limited. both are the best closed back soundstage forced headphones i know of.

t5p is pretty bright sounding and first choice for classical only. the ed8 is the better Allrounder. also owned the sig pro and sig dj both are good in their own way, but not as refind as the ed8.

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 27
AKG K550 has a huge soundstage.

Also, speakers.

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 27
As you have recognized, to state you strive for soundstage and closed-back headphones is absurdly and almost comically impossible. The most expansive of closed headphones I have experienced are the Alpha Dogs and LCD-XC, this last corroborating what another member on this thread has recommended.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 27
i had the shure at the same time as the k550 and there was nothing that the akg did better than the shure. k550 soundstage ist very wide but lacks depth. the shure Shows exceptional depth and pin Point Imaging. definitly the best closed hp i heard in the Sub 500 $ market.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 27
  i had the shure at the same time as the k550 and there was nothing that the akg did better than the shure. k550 soundstage ist very wide but lacks depth. the shure Shows exceptional depth and pin Point Imaging. definitly the best closed hp i heard in the Sub 500 $ market.

Escribe texto o la dirección de un sitio web, o bien, traduce un documento.
Cancelar

​
Quizás quisiste decir: Si. Y sin problemas de aislamiento
Yes. And the Shure Insulation smoothly. Especially for those who use glasses.

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 27
i might not be able to test shures.... as i stated earlier, i do not care about how much it does cost for now... i need the best soundstage, closed back and to be able to get it portable....

this means that i must be able to amp it through a portable-ish amp.... i am willing to spend about max 2500$ on a portable amp, and about 3000$ on headphones... i don't know if there are any headphones like what i want....

i just cannot listen to open headphones because my girlfriend and i listen to different music, and if they are open, it goes into her headphones while we listen....

only if open would exist such that they would not leak any sound....

edit:: if it would be possible, i would like to know if besides, beyedynamic t1, ultrasone signature pro and dj, akg 550 and lcd xc, are there any with soundstage that would suffice me.... also,..... what of these would have the best soundstage?.....

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 27
  i might not be able to test shures.... as i stated earlier, i do not care about how much it does cost for now... i need the best soundstage, closed back and to be able to get it portable....

this means that i must be able to amp it through a portable-ish amp.... i am willing to spend about max 2500$ on a portable amp, and about 3000$ on headphones... i don't know if there are any headphones like what i want....

i just cannot listen to open headphones because my girlfriend and i listen to different music, and if they are open, it goes into her headphones while we listen....

only if open would exist such that they would not leak any sound....

edit:: if it would be possible, i would like to know if besides, beyedynamic t1, ultrasone signature pro and dj, akg 550 and lcd xc, are there any with soundstage that would suffice me.... also,..... what of these would have the best soundstage?.....

You're just out of college, and willing to spend 5.5k on a system? Honestly, you don't need that. I bought an incredible speaker set up, better than ANY headphones' soundstage I have heard- $1000. Wharfedale 10.1, Yamaha AS501, SPC-12 sub.

Well congrats on your investment anyway, so what my advice is: 

IEMs do not have a "true" soundstage - even headphones don't. It's physically impossible for an IEM or a headphone to have "soundstage" (I know people will disagree with me, but this is my opinion).

Soundstage comes from your brain's interpretation of how the sound (from one source!) is hitting your eardrum. The recording is one of the most important factors- if the recording has great soundstage and positioning, then the headphones will reproduce that. If the soundstage on the recording is not accurate, then no headphones will improve that.

My recommendation for gear:

Astell and Kern AK240
JH Audio Roxannes (Balanced cable for AK240)

Above will be the only system you'll ever need. Approx. $4000.

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 27

You're just out of college, and willing to spend 5.5k on a system? Honestly, you don't need that. I bought an incredible speaker set up, better than ANY headphones' soundstage I have heard- $1000. Wharfedale 10.1, Yamaha AS501, SPC-12 sub.

Well congrats on your investment anyway, so what my advice is: 

IEMs do not have a "true" soundstage - even headphones don't. It's physically impossible for an IEM or a headphone to have "soundstage" (I know people will disagree with me, but this is my opinion).

Soundstage comes from your brain's interpretation of how the sound (from one source!) is hitting your eardrum. The recording is one of the most important factors- if the recording has great soundstage and positioning, then the headphones will reproduce that. If the soundstage on the recording is not accurate, then no headphones will improve that.

My recommendation for gear:

Astell and Kern AK240
JH Audio Roxannes (Balanced cable for AK240)

Above will be the only system you'll ever need. Approx. $4000.

actually, i am in college... andliving with my girlfriend.... this is why i cannot buy open headphones or speakers...we live in college's bedroom, and it would bother our neghibours and make us be expelled from the bedroom, if i use speakers... i had speakers, at home... i will buy speakers, but later, for home use.......

as for money, i really love music... i only have flac recordings, and i am deleting any bad record i have.. like, i am only listening to recordings that have a lot of soundstage, and a great sound.... actually, i am only getting records based on how the mastering and recording was done, i lost my any sense of music, i love ANY music as long as the master and recording is amazing... i mean, i used to be a metalhead, with amon amarth, dethklok, dimmu borgir, and a LOT of metal bands, and i used to hate other generes, like comercial pop and so on..... but as i got ultrasone dj one pro, and fiio x5, it has openned my eyes, and i enjoy absolutley every genere, from pop, to avant garde, from electronic to dubstep, from rap to grindcore, as long as it is done good...

i already have a source player, fiio x5, which sounds so amazing for it's price.... i was going to upgrade the source only if needed.... 

i think that i am going to get jh roxanne universal for an iem, and i was going to get headphones too.... i need headphones for home use, and iems for travel [for having this money, my job includes some travel, and it is better to have state of art universal iems rather than headphones, as it draws less attention]....s 

as it remains, i will test soon the audeze lcd xc, akg k550, ultrasone signature pro and signature dj, and maybe beyerdynamic t1, IF i will be able to drive it with what i have.... i think that spending around 1000$ on headphones, 1200$ on iems, and around 500 - 1000$ on source is not the worst thing ever, as this means a lot to me..... 

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 27
  actually, i am in college... andliving with my girlfriend.... this is why i cannot buy open headphones or speakers...we live in college's bedroom, and it would bother our neghibours and make us be expelled from the bedroom, if i use speakers... i had speakers, at home... i will buy speakers, but later, for home use.......

as for money, i really love music... i only have flac recordings, and i am deleting any bad record i have.. like, i am only listening to recordings that have a lot of soundstage, and a great sound.... actually, i am only getting records based on how the mastering and recording was done, i lost my any sense of music, i love ANY music as long as the master and recording is amazing... i mean, i used to be a metalhead, with amon amarth, dethklok, dimmu borgir, and a LOT of metal bands, and i used to hate other generes, like comercial pop and so on..... but as i got ultrasone dj one pro, and fiio x5, it has openned my eyes, and i enjoy absolutley every genere, from pop, to avant garde, from electronic to dubstep, from rap to grindcore, as long as it is done good...

i already have a source player, fiio x5, which sounds so amazing for it's price.... i was going to upgrade the source only if needed.... 

i think that i am going to get jh roxanne universal for an iem, and i was going to get headphones too.... i need headphones for home use, and iems for travel [for having this money, my job includes some travel, and it is better to have state of art universal iems rather than headphones, as it draws less attention]....s 

as it remains, i will test soon the audeze lcd xc, akg k550, ultrasone signature pro and signature dj, and maybe beyerdynamic t1, IF i will be able to drive it with what i have.... i think that spending around 1000$ on headphones, 1200$ on iems, and around 500 - 1000$ on source is not the worst thing ever, as this means a lot to me..... 

OK, so my IEMs reproduce soundstage fine, they are dynamic and balanced armature hybrids.

I am using an Red Wine AK100 right now. I tried my IEMs with the AK240 and the AK100II, and both times, the soundstage reproduction improved a lot. The source is VERY important in terms of soundstage. Actually, every single component is important to produce a good soundstage. Recording, source, headphones. Even if you don't wanna go for the AK240, in my opinion, the AK100II is extremely good already. Roxannes sound amazing with it.

You should also think about whether you want LARGE soundstage or ACCURATE soundstage. For example: Abyss headphones ($5000) - great incredibly accurately reproduced soundstage, while HD800 has a much larger soundstage, but less accurate. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 27
I only need closed back headphones... Nothing open back will do... I will get speakers... When i will be out of college... Right now i cannot listen to speakers.... Aso, edition 8 is hard to power?....

You're going to have a hard time with closed headphones. Angle'ing the drivers is one of the best ways to create soundstage. The kings of soundstage are the Qualia 010, which you are highly unlikely to find, and statements about budget not being an issue notwithstanding, you likely cannot or will not afford.

Technically the Sony MDR-R10 may appear closed but they aren't really. The soundstage there is pretty good.

I personally would go with the ATH-L3000 if in your shoes. It's not the widest soundstage, but has an excellent sense of space. Very airy despite being closed.

From Ultrasone I've only heard the Edition 7. The soundstage didn't impress me.

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #15 of 27
i understand that what i am asking for is an utopia... so my current plan is to change from my fiio x5 to ak240... and for headphones, i will try what i am able to fiind in stores to test, and for iems, i will never be able to test, so i might get roxannes, and if they cannot sit nice in my ears, i will send them back, and go with another universal iem......

i want to put this again, that currently i am using fiio x5 with ultrasone dj one pro, and it is a must try combo.... but only because now i realise that this part of music exists i want to invest my income to most of it... 

i also, need to buy a house, a car, a laptop, and a LOT of other things, but this purchase, is only a temporary setback..... 

EDIT::: i haven't heard any edition yet.....

EDIT2:: i want a huge soundstage, that does not have to be realistic at all....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back