Headphones with Large Soundstage and nice Bass?
Mar 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

johnzie

New Head-Fier
Looking for some headphones that will make me feel like I'm at a club or massive rave.  Any suggestions under a million dollars?  Just kidding - ideally under $200 please.  If under $100, I'll be doing backflips.

Currently have:
Sony XB500 (with EQing, love the bass, but it sounds very close and in your face)
Beyerdynamic DT 770 (soundstage is nice, but doesn't make me feel like I'm in a club)
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (I'm returning these to the store - I don't like on-ear)

The quick: Looking for under $200 over ears that can reproduce the club/rave sound.

Thanks

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 12
Beyerdynamic DT990.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Beyerdynamic DT990.

The premium version is really good with bass and soundstage. I've used the 250 ohm version. 

I guess you're talking about the pro version? 

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Looking for some headphones that will make me feel like I'm at a club or massive rave.

Stop looking into headphones... none will give you this experience... except maybe an AKG K1000 with a subwoofer.

This said, bass is like in a club isn't physically possible with any headphone. You could try the DT990 which is the only headphone with lots of bass which gives you a decent soundstage... but if these fail, you reached the top in terms of Soundstage+Bass at the same time

(well the K240s are boomy and fun as well)

gosh, the XB series disgust me everytime I look at the fr-graphs

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
The premium version is really good with bass and sound stage. I've used the 250 ohm version. 
I guess you're talking about the pro version? 

As the proud owner of a DT990 Pro 250-Ohm....Yes.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 12
Check out the XB700's, they have a bigger soundstage than the XB500's.

The Ultrasone HFI-580's also pump out a pretty absurd amount of bass, with a soundstage as big, or bigger than the XB700's.

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the responses.  I'll look into the phones mentioned :)

As for what I meant about the club/rave feeling is the wide soundstage and thumping bass.  I may give the dt 770 pro 80's a go again, but who knows!

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 12
The FA-011's require a really good amp. The Fiio E11 does nothing, for example. And amps for those impedances are $200+. Also they have HALF the bass of the Sony XB500. Of course that they have more definition, but need a powerful amp or you won't hear half of what they're capable of.

BTW, isolation is equal to 0.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Stop looking into headphones... none will give you this experience... except maybe an AKG K1000 with a subwoofer.

This said, bass is like in a club isn't physically possible with any headphone. You could try the DT990 which is the only headphone with lots of bass which gives you a decent soundstage... but if these fail, you reached the top in terms of Soundstage+Bass at the same time

(well the K240s are boomy and fun as well)

gosh, the XB series disgust me everytime I look at the fr-graphs

Does anyone have these graphs for side-by-side comparrison of the Beyer DT series???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back