Headphones with good bass?
Sep 1, 2010 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

nate5709

Head-Fier
Hey guys.

Are there any <$80 IEM's with strong bass, good mids and highs, and a somewhat open soundstage? I'll be using them with an mp3 player (no amp) and I typically listen to alt-metal.

I love my Beyer DT770/80s so if there's anything that similar to those, I'll try them out.

Thanks,
Nate

EDIT: So far I've limited my options down to Visang R02, Visang R03, Klipsch Image S4, Fischer Audio Eterna, NuForce NE-6, MEElectronics M11+, and the Xears TD100.

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 35
The Klipsch S4 is a good bet. Over better sounding that what I mentioned below.

Although, if you really want bass, the Sony XB series is the way to go.

Also, be sure to check out |joker|'s Multi-IEM review thread. As well as ClieOS's.

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 35

Quote:
how about he hje900?

Holy shizzle they're on sale for $89.99 on Amazon/J&R! 
eek.gif

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 35
Alright, so after reading the comments here and ljokerl's IEM comparison, there are a few IEM's I'm interested in. I'd like to try to get the best value, so I don't want to spend near-$100 if I don't need to.

I like the Visang R02, Klipsch Image S4, Fischer Audio Eterna, NuForce NE-6, and the MEElectronics M11+.

Which of these is the most similar to the DT770's in overall sound? My main listening material consists of alt-metal, if that helps.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 35
If you are looking at the Eterna drop the S4 although that might mean drop the S2 as well but I haven't heard it so I won't make and judgment calls on that. The Eterna is superior to the S4 in so many ways and the bass is better. I am satisfied with the bass in the Eterna in quality although they provide way more than I like while the S4 did not.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #13 of 35

Quote:
I like the Visang R02, Klipsch Image S2, Klipsch Image S4, Fischer Audio Eterna, NuForce NE-6, and the MEElectronics M11+.

Which of these is the most similar to the DT770's in overall sound? My main listening material consists of alt-metal, if that helps.

Which DT770? I've heard the DT770/250 and the Eterna would be my pick to match it, followed by the M11+ and then the S4. The highs of the DT770/250 were fairly aggressive which is why I'm discounting the ViSang R02. If you can do without in-your-face treble, the R02 would be second to the Eterna.

Also the Klipsch S2 is really out of place on that list as all of the other earphones do at least one thing better.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
Alright, so after reading the comments here and ljokerl's IEM comparison, there are a few IEM's I'm interested in. I'd like to try to get the best value, so I don't want to spend near-$100 if I don't need to.

I like the Visang R02, Klipsch Image S2, Klipsch Image S4, Fischer Audio Eterna, NuForce NE-6, and the MEElectronics M11+.

I've read the DT770 has a v-shaped sound (strong treble and bass).  Wouldn't the HJE-900 be a good fit?  I've also read that they are v-shaped, and they're only $90 on Amazon right now.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
Which DT770? I've heard the DT770/250 and the Eterna would be my pick to match it, followed by the M11+ and then the S4. The highs of the DT770/250 were fairly aggressive which is why I'm discounting the ViSang R02. If you can do without in-your-face treble, the R02 would be second to the Eterna.

Also the Klipsch S2 is really out of place on that list as all of the other earphones do at least one thing better.

Ah, sorry. I'm using the 80 ohm version. I'm not sure how the treble compares to the 250, but I'm guessing it's not as strong.
I'd also like to add I'll be using the IEM's with an mp3 player and no amp.

The S2's are really only on there because of the low price.

Quote:
Zoide said:

I've read the DT770 has a v-shaped sound (strong treble and bass).  Wouldn't the HJE-900 be a good fit?  I've also read that they are v-shaped, and they're only $90 on Amazon right now.

Like I said, I don't want to spend that much if it's not necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back