Headphones with good bass for under 200$?
Oct 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 18
Some decent cans to check out would be Beyerdynamic DT770, Denon AH-D2000, ATH-M50, Sennheiser 595/modded 555.

The Denons and Senn 595s would run right around $200 or maybe a bit more. DT770s are a little cheaper, and the 555s/M50s are a bit over $100.

I own a pair of DT770s, and I generally enjoy the sound. I've heard the Denons, and if I could, I would swap out my Beyers for them. Sennheiser 555s are open phones, but they can be easily modded to be closed phones that (supposedly) sound like the 595s. I've heard the 595s, and they are pretty good. If the mod actually works well, that would be a good route. I haven't heard the M50s.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
Some decent cans to check out would be Beyerdynamic DT770, Denon AH-D2000, ATH-M50, Sennheiser 595/modded 555.

The Denons and Senn 595s would run right around $200 or maybe a bit more. DT770s are a little cheaper, and the 555s/M50s are a bit over $100.

I own a pair of DT770s, and I generally enjoy the sound. I've heard the Denons, and if I could, I would swap out my Beyers for them. Sennheiser 555s are open phones, but they can be easily modded to be closed phones that (supposedly) sound like the 595s. I've heard the 595s, and they are pretty good. If the mod actually works well, that would be a good route. I haven't heard the M50s.

When you look at things like the DT770s though you start to look at having to buy an amp, so it ends up being too expensive. Not too sure how hard the others you mentioned are to drive as I've never used them.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
When you look at things like the DT770s though you start to look at having to buy an amp, so it ends up being too expensive. Not too sure how hard the others you mentioned are to drive as I've never used them.

I've an amp for the DT770s, but it lives at home. I do take them traveling pretty regularly, and they work pretty well without an amp too. The sound quality certainly improves with an amp though. I've a pretty good new portable amp coming (first portable for me :p), but I've listened to them a couple times on a friend's CMoy. Depending on musical tastes and quality requirements, an amp like that wouldn't be a bad solution, and it would still be possible to come out around the $200 mark.

The Denons definitely need an amp to sound as they should. Scratch that unless you are willing to spend some cash in the future. The Senns and the M50s would probably do pretty well without an amp. If you're enjoying the AD700s, you probably won't go wrong sticking with Audio-Technica. If you want to mix it up a bit, I would still recommend the Beyers. They will perform well without an amp, and there is the opportunity to buy an amp in the future.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 18
Thanks for all the input guys!

I'm gonna go ahead and say screw it, 200$ still seems a bit low. 

So what about for 500$ or less? What would be the best Head-Phone (or Headphone + AMP combo) for overall sound quality and good bass? Preferably open btw.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #10 of 18
Define good bass. I personally think the bass of DT880 was a lot better than the bass of the DT990 32ohm. AD700 has very good bass too. Btw you shouldn't limit yourself to a budget if you have more money than that. If you only have $200, spend $200, if you have $1000, spend the $1000. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 18
DT990 Are fully open cans...Sound leaks out really easily and the bass is really light in my opinion....you can get the DT770 Pro 250 Ohms version with a decent headphone amp...Right now i'm using the .22 Ordance amp and it drives my headphones really nicely..check out RSA, iBasso, iQube and others
biggrin.gif
....another headphone that wouldnt need an amp would be the Shure SRH750DJ...they don't really need an amp but they are quite uncomfortable but you MIGHT get used to that uncomfortness :p...hope this helped :3

Oct 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #15 of 18
I have beyer dt770pro 80 ohm, they are great for trance, metal, rock, hip hop. I can see how people say the bass is muddled and mids recessed. A little eq'ing and my ibasso amp help a lot. Still I think I need a good desktop amp to get them to their full potential. I've heard great things about ultrasone hfi-580's bass, solid impact and goes deep. Like others have said the M-50 is worth checking out, and also maybe Shure SRH840.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back