Headphones with Denon D5000 like sound
Jun 12, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #16 of 37
I recommend the ATH W1000x, it's been compared to the D5000s by many users, and as someone whose tried quite a few of the demon lineup, I can agree, it's pretty much a slightly more mid forward D5000

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #17 of 37
Jun 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #18 of 37

Except for the mid-bass dip in the 600. Lose some punch there. 

Just because a frequency chart shows similar measurements across the frequency spectrum, does not mean that they will be of similar quality. There's lots more to measure and plot. Impedance, and decay... but STILL, there's so much a graph can never impart... how the music is actually translated. Does it work for you or not? 

Judging strictly from the graph the D600's bass looks a lot better to me. Less roll-off in the subbass, and the bass boost stops at 260Hz so it doesn't thicken up the lower mids (I prefer my mids a little more dry compared to most bassy phones). But on the other hand it has that strange dip at 5k, even though it didn't really stand out to my ears.
Of course you're right in that graphs don't tell the whole story. But the D600 was positioned to be the replacement for the D5000 so you'd expect them to share a similar sound.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

The Pro 900's have the most ridiculous, piercing, grating high-end of any headphone I've ever heard. Someone else around here put it perfectly: "It's like getting double-teamed in the ears." I call them Jackhammer highs. 

If the OP doesn't like bright and harsh treble, he should avoid the Pro 900 like the plague. 

I'm with Jman - yet again, this shows how we all have 'holes' in our hearing or just like different things. 

I LOVE the Pro900 almost as much as my Signature Pro (and actually more so for comfort) so remember gents, one many's piercing headphone can be an amazing, perfect sound for another.

To the OP, the D600 TO ME is a great headphone and very comparable to my D2000 Denon.  Again, they get a lot of bashing a la the Pro900 but me, I love them both.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:
What headphones have a sound signature similar to what the AHD5000s had (bassy, warm headphone with great mids and fairly bright treble. -citing MalVeauX). I've been told the Mr Speakers Mad Dog with Alpha Pads.  What I would ultimately like is something that is maybe a little "better" than the D5000's were. I sold mine thinking their value would drop with the D600, D7100 coming out (Egg on my face from that one). Are the D600, D7100's as bad as people say. If you're someone like me who wants that colored sound and not something flat, but I still want detail and soundstage, is the D600 and 7100 still a bad choice? Is there sound signature a total departure from the D5000? 
I listen to mostly classic rock, rock, punk rock, etc. I can't stand the brightness of Grado's. I had some Sennheiser Momentums and found them to be "boring" going from the D5000s. 
I powered the D5000 with an E10 and loved it. Looking at a E17/E07 and E09 combo or Schiit Magni Modi combo for my next HP. 

Any thoughts would be great, so would links to threads that address any of these questions.

Thanks guy

See my comments on page 2.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #21 of 37
the pro900 works well with a pair of angled leather pads..
i havent had the ear piercing highs since.

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:
the pro900 works well with a pair of angled leather pads..
i havent had the ear piercing highs since.

How did you attach them?  I love the stockers but as a tinkerer and having had the Pro900 pads off, I wonder how you got them to fit since the stockers sort of snap and twist to lock in. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #23 of 37
i got it when i bought my first pair of pro900 here on headfi...
the gentleman ripped off the base from the spare velorpad,
and superglued a Jmoneypad onto that plastic base.
(without covering the locking slider flange :p)

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #24 of 37
Sorry to kind of divert the subject but just out of curiosity, what to the angled pads do for the soundstage Pro 900? I'm asking because S-logic soundstage seems to be highly dependent on placement of the outer ear inside the cup.

...now back to finding headphones for the OP. How is that going?

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #25 of 37
Just did a quick swap between the velor and jmoney pads..right this moment:

velor...
the highs are sharper..the ears are closer to the drivers..
reminds me of the AKGs, threatening to cut my ears, almost..but still manageable.
bass is diffused somewhat.

jmoney back on...
the highs are tamed alittle, still clear, nice,
the bass is more focused, more precise bass...
( the bassdrumkick on "Fernando" by ABBA is so much more textured, thummm, thummm, thuummm... :p
the soundstage effect has a slight chamber ambience, airy.

i much prefer the leather if i have to pick between these two.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #27 of 37
The jmoney pads has a similar wonderful effect on the d7000, 
turns it into a marvelous can, my favorite. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #28 of 37
i got it when i bought my first pair of pro900 here on headfi...
the gentleman ripped off the base from the spare velorpad,
and superglued a Jmoneypad ontotrigu that plastic base.
(without covering the locking slider flange :p)

Thanks for the info. I'm intrigued now. Love the stock feel and sound but...........too bad we can't get the J money pads. Maybe some Alpha pads......

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #29 of 37
i think the alphapads should fit, someone said it fits the beyers...which means it fits the denons...which means...
beerchug.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #30 of 37
I am in a similar position as the OP I have the D2000 and the earcup has just snapped off so I decided to look for a replacement set even tho ill repair them at somepoint as they are a great headphone.

The D600 are front running ATM and possibly the Sony MDR 1RBT as I thought its try some new tech and they review pretty well in general consumer land not much to go on with minimal head-fi impressions..

I think my max is £300 any other suggestions would be appreciated. I listen to mainly DnB & electronic but dont want a super u curve as I prefer the d2 over the 900 in mids.

The pro 900 needs a huge amount of burn in (100hrs+), they would fatigue massively when new and now they are fine all day long. I keep meaing to get some jmoneys or lawtonaudio angle pads.

Ps anyone know where I can get some maddogs in the uk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back