Headphones With Best Soundstage In All Directions?
Apr 9, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #16 of 44
totally fake; DSPing some HRTFs; but Audeze Mobius nails this in ways that just shouldnt be possible.

of course in doing so, musical pitch and tonality takes a hit...
great for gaming though.
Nah, Mobius tech is different and should only be used for gaming, but its really artificial for the sake of it. You need to readjust every once in a while to the point I got tired and turned it off lol. Gimmick feature that didnt last.

Totally crap for music btw.

Apr 9, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #17 of 44
I’ll probably have to demo them again at a different shop. I have the TA-26S at home, but I figured the hugo would be good because it’s more higher end than any of the amps I own.
It is a fine amp. But the Senn 600/800 get a sense of harmonics/density/larger more specific stage/and bass boost which makes me conclude that they were designed wholly or in part on an OTL.

The anti tube folks will point to the harmonic distortion and inability to control the bass as to why I react the way I do. But the result makes them sound more like actual music, and I’m not alone in that assessment.

Apr 9, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #18 of 44
If you can try Atriums - I can tell that they have a "3d-ish" sound - I hear the swirling sounds around the head which is nice. That is basically only sound-wise reason I keep them besides the unique looks and build. But I don't know what "wide" soundstage means because I never hear any instruments wider than the recording has information about it, even after changing amps, dacs, and even headphones. Never heard the hd800, but I figure I will have similar impression like you did.

Apr 9, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #19 of 44
upstream electronics play a very significant part of this..

of course the headphones need to have the ability to stage well.

my understanding is the sennheiser hdvd800 amp was built to turn the oval soundfield of the hd800 into a circular one..
(electronics matter)

when I use a Topping DAC it has no depth to the soundstage (allows it to benchmark better),.. hence I have zero use for such a 'technically accomplished DAC' (musically near useless vs even ten year old budget 'built for actual musicality' parts.

spec sheet warfare is a sad thing.
a great amp (and DAC et al) will let the smallest of nuances through that set up a large 'stage' presence...
(negative) feedback designs (ie most modern world 'built to bench well' amps) seem to lose some of those 'small aspects' needed for GREAT staging.

the k701 is the best known space headwear that most have held as top of the tree.
for closed backs my best experiences have been with some sony mdrz7 (useful for tvs and movies especially for that low bass note 'rumble' they can achieve.. like a night club playing nearby), and smaller field but exceptional 'setup' and 'circular' field is the Ultrasone Edition 5.
might sound like I tout what I have, but maybe I have what I tout from research, hunting, and experience..?

(true I don't care to respend chasing my tail due to diminishing returns on 'upgrade-itis'.)
and I do not have k701, (some k612pro get some gametime though)

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #20 of 44
upstream electronics play a very significant part of this..

of course the headphones need to have the ability to stage well.

my understanding is the sennheiser hdvd800 amp was built to turn the oval soundfield of the hd800 into a circular one..
(electronics matter)

when I use a Topping DAC it has no depth to the soundstage (allows it to benchmark better),.. hence I have zero use for such a 'technically accomplished DAC' (musically near useless vs even ten year old budget 'built for actual musicality' parts.

spec sheet warfare is a sad thing.
a great amp (and DAC et al) will let the smallest of nuances through that set up a large 'stage' presence...
(negative) feedback designs (ie most modern world 'built to bench well' amps) seem to lose some of those 'small aspects' needed for GREAT staging.

the k701 is the best known space headwear that most have held as top of the tree.
for closed backs my best experiences have been with some sony mdrz7 (useful for tvs and movies especially for that low bass note 'rumble' they can achieve.. like a night club playing nearby), and smaller field but exceptional 'setup' and 'circular' field is the Ultrasone Edition 5.
might sound like I tout what I have, but maybe I have what I tout from research, hunting, and experience..?

(true I don't care to respend chasing my tail due to diminishing returns on 'upgrade-itis'.)
and I do not have k701, (some k612pro get some gametime though)
Thanks for this perspective, perhaps I was too harsh on the HD800s. I figured since the the hugo 2 was such a high end amp/dac it would handle the HD800S well. But I see that this headphone is extremely source dependent.

Apr 9, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #21 of 44
Thanks for this perspective, perhaps I was too harsh on the HD800s. I figured since the the hugo 2 was such a high end amp/dac it would handle the HD800S well. But I see that this headphone is extremely source dependent.
the Chord method to achieve incredible MUSICality is something no one else does.
for music it is incredible.

when I compared a 'lowly' iFi Diablo vs the Chord Hugo (nothing on the Hugo 2 btw), the Diablo won a range of listening tests as voted on, blindly, by the family.
Once I had their approval the Diablo won 'top dog' status.

There was a song where my child swung in fovour of the Hugo..and I could hear it too.... it was a Tool track and MayrdJamesKeenan (or whatever the legends' name is who fronts Tool (and writes Fractals as music)) was singing,.. the voice was nicer.. it was arguably 'more forward', and this was a direct result of how the Chord DACs process sound.
It was, sadly, less technically accurate to the track.. something the Diablo got right.. (Whilst sounding worse for it, in terms of what is 'pleasing')
A Chord DAC is a good thing.. please do not take my 'last 2%" of the sound comment out of context.. it is just for 'positional information' and certainly HRTF processing 'by our brains' - a more honest DAC is better for true stage setup (in this case depth of some low level information that would, in any other typical recording, not be placed the way it was.
As a test it showed me something interesting, and the Hugo was replaced by a Diablo for 'console gaming' (Playstation 5 has some of the best headphone 'surround' due to the audio processing chip involved, title dependant of course...(Tempest Engine needs to be utilised to experience this))

For the largest stage and 'full surround sound' under headphones, the Chord products are 'slightly less useful' as they arguably homogenise aspects of the sound (Which is how they work, in order to create very pleasing music.
I suppose it just means different tools for different tasks.
is why studio reference is great for HRTFs playback, but most would prefer an music expereince that isn't 'that honest'.

my opinion is everyone should use Chord DACs for replaying music. Studio mastering maybe not... (maybe a second feed!)
Chords are amazing!
I know aspecs of this post might need further evidence or I get the ire of many pundits,.. but as someone who has owned many many PC soundcards back to the eighties.. (my original soundblaster, the 'original' Creative Labs card - had a 4Watt amp on board I believe). listening to nuances in soundcard evolution, like OPL and midi processing getting better over the evolutions,.. to things like Aureal A3D and then the nice stuff like Auzentech Prelude and Asus Xonar Essence etc) (budget cards doing consumer-fi mostly, but with 'cool HRTF technologies).. my ear training is towards soundfields.. (I have never really played instruments, hence why I do not review..)

the whole tech tree contribules to 'soundfield'..
may on these forums swear that audio doesn't stage front to back or 'beyond speakers' and when we look at their setups they use all sorts of digital processing to reequalise sound or do headtracking etc.. (or 'well benching modern parts that just do not stage as great as 'older' less well benchmarking parts).
The audio science crew might hate this post (subjective, subjective, subjective!),.. but this is many decades of experience playing with 'all the fruit'.

Every bit of 'echo' and 'decay' our brains can hear is CRUCIAL to great staging.
benchmarking doesn't EVER look at that info, or have a way to 'see' it...

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #22 of 44
My latest HP I have listened is Nectarsound Ambrosia. One of the best dynamic headphones I have listened. Still can't win electrostatic headphone. On the imaging because it's always the fastest to produce a sound signature. If you want best go for e-stats.

Apr 12, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #23 of 44
These are some nice soundstage headphones in the following order in my opinion:

Audeze LCD 2 - One of the best around.
HIFIMAN Ananda-BT - Excellent headphone.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro - great for mixing.
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X - quite affordable
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X - If you like comfort.
When I demoed the LCD2 I found it to be just ok.

I own an Ananda and the soundstage is tall but it doesn’t do much in the horizontal direction.

I keep hearing about the audio technicas so I definitely need to give them a listen tho

Apr 12, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #24 of 44
I am using a Chord Qutest with solid state amplification (Lehmann Linear II D) during the last few years. When I changed from Sennheiser HD-650 to Neumann NDH 30 (very superior, going back is impossible), one of the striking improvements was the precision of the soundstage. It is wide and precise at the same time, allowing every intermediate or extreme gradation/position to appear. It offers excellent instrument separation and very accurate info on its relative position horizontally. I haven't listen to the HD-800 for many years to compare depth but during the first weeks of using the NDH 30 I remember being surprised by sounds in new recordings and looking spontaneously in the room for their "source". Using Chesky's binaural recordings everything becomes much more "3D" but then this is true with most headphones when listening binaural.

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #25 of 44
Besides the backend for the hd800s, try adjusting headphone position on The head too and adjust until image and stage locks into place. Very crucial imho for the hd800s compared to other headphones. Once locked in, nothing beats the hd800s for 3d stage.

Apr 13, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #26 of 44
These are some nice soundstage headphones in the following order in my opinion:

Audeze LCD 2 - One of the best around.
HIFIMAN Ananda-BT - Excellent headphone.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro - great for mixing.
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X - quite affordable
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X - If you like comfort.
Ummmm my LCD fazor did not image as well as the HE-500 - average IMO. Ananda has large image but not a pinpoint imager. 50x has issues, very large boost 75-250 Hz which obscures decent low bass and also peaky 4-5.5k. EQ could be the cure.

HD-800 or 800S on OTL amps still the champ unless you want to talk ribbons or estates and they cost plenty along with associated equipment.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #27 of 44
Besides the backend for the hd800s, try adjusting headphone position on The head too and adjust until image and stage locks into place. Very crucial imho for the hd800s compared to other headphones. Once locked in, nothing beats the hd800s for 3d stage.
Hmm, I was not cognizant of this. Seems I will need to reevaluate the HD800S based on the responses I've received.

Apr 13, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #28 of 44
Hard to beat HD800S for a wide soundstage, but ZMF Atrium is up there for a "3D/ holographic" soundstage when the music calls for it. It's not going to make anything sound unnaturally wide.

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #29 of 44
The K340 is at the top of my list. 3D holographic bliss. :L3000:

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #30 of 44
From what I've heard so far, Arya V2 and HE1000V2. Both tall and wide. HEK is a bit deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back