Headphones with a warm sound signature
Sep 30, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #16 of 33
A warm headphone with a warm amp? Would this not be overkill? You may think you want a "warm" sound now, but you also may want to get a better handle on what sound signature exactly it is that you really want (before buying all this top of the line equipment). Try the K240 S's (the 55 ohm version) with a PA2V2. Some might question the PA2V2, but it's a really cheap amp and definitely "warm" by most's standards. If not the PA2V2, the Go-Vibe V5. If you're liking what you hear with either setup, I say upgrade to either a Senn HD600 or HD650 (650 being even warmer than the 600) and perhaps a Headfive, Dared MP5 or Little Dot II+.

Good luck.

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #17 of 33
oohhh the Grado RS-1 are beaaaooootttttiiffffooooolll cans! i love the wood on them, absolutely gorgeous. unfortunately I tried them with the bowls [which aren't for me] and out of a Grace 901, which is apprently very analytical. i didn't really enjoy the sound out of that combo.

Nice to see some cheaper cans being mentioned. Haven't tried the PortaPros yet, but how do they compare to the PX100, which one's the warmer of the two?

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #18 of 33
I guess going over the top might be an issue, but like I've mentioned before, I reckon I'd go to the extreme and tone it down from there. I guess I'd also have to take my source and its inherent sound signature into account [in any case my iMac G5 and Panasonic SL-SX500 are pretty dry and lean in sound, the iPod suffers from the lean bass syndrome, but my Shuffle has plenty of meat].

And yes most of the cans here are at the higher end of the spectrum, but I guess I could work towards them. An audition would be in order to evaluate the bang for buck equation too. But in the meantime cheaper cans would have to do the job.

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162
A warm headphone with a warm amp? Would this not be overkill? You may think you want a "warm" sound now, but you also may want to get a better handle on what sound signature exactly it is that you really want (before buying all this top of the line equipment). Try the K240 S's (the 55 ohm version) with a PA2V2. Some might question the PA2V2, but it's a really cheap amp and definitely "warm" by most's standards. If not the PA2V2, the Go-Vibe V5. If you're liking what you hear with either setup, I say upgrade to either a Senn HD600 or HD650 (650 being even warmer than the 600) and perhaps a Headfive, Dared MP5 or Little Dot II+.

Good luck.

HD650 with a warm tube amp would be rediculously warm.

Sep 30, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #21 of 33
Which may be why he'd like to purchase an HD600 instead?
blink.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #22 of 33
Let's up the ante a bit. For a considerably greater investment, I would recommend the Stax Omega II. With a Stax amplifier, particularly one of the tubed variety, they can be a little too warm (even congested) for many tastes. Paired with the Gilmore solid state amp (KGSS), however, the mid-bass warmth is balanced by a slightly more prominent midrange that makes these fine transducers dance rather than plod. They also sound absolutely wonderful when driven by the Sennheiser HEV90; and many folks, who have had the benefit of an audition, wax lyrical about pairings with the Gilmore Blue Hawaii (KGBH), SinglePower ES1, Macalister EA-1 or EA-4, HeadAmp Aristaeus, RudiStor Egmont Signature, etc.

For an even more stratospheric price, there's always the Sennheiser HE90 or its lesser sibling the HE60.

Sep 30, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #23 of 33
Wow! I've always had a thing for electrostatics and oh my paired with tubes!!!! But I checked out the prices for such a setup and it's way out of reach for me right now. Maybe after uni, when I get a well-paying job but until then I'll have to settle for a more modest setup.

Is there a cheaper way to achieve warm goodness? Possibly a pa2v2 paired with a Porta Pro or PX100, or maybe a Grado SR60/80 (which is e warmest in e Gradi range btw?)?

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #26 of 33
hey guys any chance there'd be more affordable alternatives that can be used without an amp straight from the headphone out of my imac g5. currently have a px100 that's awaiting lisa's hd414 pad mod [once i can find'em]. would a pair of porta pros be warmer? i also hear they're more comfy and i kinda dig the retro look
tongue.gif
also how would the sr60 compare in terms of warmth?

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #28 of 33
you got my vote on the HD650, or the HD580 for something easier on your wallet. Course the 600 will also kick.
600smile.gif

also, i've read about the LD2+ and that people like it with the HD650. I am probably gonna pick me up one.

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #29 of 33
HD600 with my WooAudio 3 is cozy as can be!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I think the K701 would be a good choice.

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #30 of 33
HF-1 w/ Flats. Too warm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back