Headphones Upgrade Help
Nov 14, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #16 of 34
I think if you don't enjoy the bass quantity on the HD600, the HD650 isn't going to get you there.

For bass, something like an E-mu Teak will have the warmth you're looking for, but it's not 'very' detailed. Certainly better than the 99 Classics. Another more neutral option with good bass is the Fostex TR-X00 Ebony.

Of these, bass quantity: 99 Classics > E-mu Teak > TR-X00 Ebony > HD650 > HD600

All of these have less bass than the 99 Classics but are more refined.

Nov 14, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #18 of 34
Nov 14, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #20 of 34
I totally forgot about the LCD-2 Classic. That's a great call.

Here's a link to all of them F.S. currently. A few are in UK or EU.

https://www.hifishark.com/model/audeze-lcd-2-classic

Well LCD-2C is good on warmth but it's not detailed nor does it have a wide soundstage. And I don't think it's a great match for jazz and even less good for classical.

I'm kinda leaning towards the suggestions (I think @msing539 mentioned it first) about a good tube amp. The HD 600s are really good for jazz and not bad for classical.

Nov 14, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #22 of 34
Nov 14, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #23 of 34
Well LCD-2C is good on warmth but it's not detailed nor does it have a wide soundstage. And I don't think it's a great match for jazz and even less good for classical.

I'm kinda leaning towards the suggestions (I think @msing539 mentioned it first) about a good tube amp. The HD 600s are really good for jazz and not bad for classical.
LCD-2C are HP that I like but they crush my budget 899 euros

Nov 14, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #24 of 34
Nov 14, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #25 of 34
There seems to be a good community of tube amplifier builders in Italy. Perhaps if you look around you can find one that works well with your choice of music.

Nov 14, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #26 of 34
The Grado I mentioned are really not worth it? I've read excellent reviews but I trust your opinions more

Nov 14, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #27 of 34
I have Grado SR325 (original, not e, i, or x) and they are not nearly as comfortable and more mids-centered than the ATH-R70X. If I do a bass frequency sweep from audiocheck.net, some bass just isn't there.

The Grado SR325 are fun for rock. But for analytical music like jazz and classical -- and for long listening sessions -- I prefer the ATH-R70X. For what it's worth, if there are any other sentient beings living with you, for others in the room the ATH-R70X are also a little quieter than the Grado at the same listening volume.

I have run the ATH-R70X straight out of my MacBook laptop and they sound good. Amping does widen the soundstage, but it is not an absolute necessity.

Your Darkvoice 336SE shows specs
https://drop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se/details#details
including
  • Impedance: 32 ~ 600 Ohms
That's plenty to drive the ATH-R70X.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #29 of 34
I have Grado SR325 (original, not e, i, or x) and they are not nearly as comfortable and more mids-centered than the ATH-R70X. If I do a bass frequency sweep from audiocheck.net, some bass just isn't there.

The Grado SR325 are fun for rock. But for analytical music like jazz and classical -- and for long listening sessions -- I prefer the ATH-R70X. For what it's worth, if there are any other sentient beings living with you, for others in the room the ATH-R70X are also a little quieter than the Grado at the same listening volume.

I have run the ATH-R70X straight out of my MacBook laptop and they sound good. Amping does widen the soundstage, but it is not an absolute necessity.

Your Darkvoice 336SE shows specs
https://drop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se/details#details
including
  • Impedance: 32 ~ 600 Ohms
That's plenty to drive the ATH-R70X.
I also have a JDS Labs Atom amp. So good to know and then I would put those ATH at the top of my list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back