Headphones under 100€ (classical music, portable)
Oct 27, 2017 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Krysztof

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right forum... Pretty much all of the relevant threads I could find were quite old so I thought I'd start a new one myself.

I am looking for headphones that fit these criteria (bullet points for the sake of easy reading):
  • closed-back
  • good isolation (for use on bus)
  • under 100 euros
  • good, clean, accurate sound (for classical music mostly, so not looking for heart-stopping bass)
  • portable?
I'm currently seriously thinking of the Audio Technica ATH-M40x, which are close to 100 euros, and seem to fit the criteria, except that they look quite big for outdoors use, especially with that long cable. Although, it's not a big problem, I'd like to hear alternatives, perhaps a bit cheaper, if there are any.

I currently only have in-ear headphones, the Shure SE112, which I am pretty happy with sound- and isolation-wise, especially considering the cost.

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 16
I think the M40X is your best bet under $100. I don't think anything can beat them under $100 closed. There's also the Status CB-1 but I've heard that the M40X is better.

Can't seem to be able to find the Status brand around here. So the M40x are supposed to be good for classical music?

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 16
Can't seem to be able to find the Status brand around here. So the M40x are supposed to be good for classical music?

Thanks!
They're good for anything since they have a Neutral sound signature. You can enjoy any genre on them.

If you could stretch your budget even more then I would recommend the MSR7, stay away from the M50X though.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 16
I've pretty much decided at this point, but is there any IEM or open-back or whatever, which would challenge the M40x within the same budget?
Don't really know much about IEMs since I don't use them but for open backs the Philips SHP9500 challenges the M40X at around that price and IMO is better simply because of the open nature, but remember with an open back you lose the isolation so it's no good for outdoors where there's a lot of noise.

The SHP9500's price also jumps around a lot which can be annoying.

Oct 27, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 16
Don't really know much about IEMs since I don't use them but for open backs the Philips SHP9500 challenges the M40X at around that price and IMO is better simply because of the open nature, but remember with an open back you lose the isolation so it's no good for outdoors where there's a lot of noise.

The SHP9500's price also jumps around a lot which can be annoying.

Yeah, I was just thinking if there's something that is a better buy at that price, maybe I'd let go of the outdoor use and keep using the SE112s. But I can't find this Philips model here either. Looks nice though.

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 16
It doesn't matter, I know I can get them online for sure, it's just an added cost. But if they're not that much better than the M40x I'm sticking with them.
Well if you really want a new headphone and you've set a budget then the M40X is a great option and you can't go wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back