Headphones to replace SR60 for Gaming and Movies?
Jun 18, 2010 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got my SR325(i)s and it basically does everything that the Grado SR60 didn't for me.  Now I'm looking for a 'phone to maybe replace the Grados for games and movies for when I go back to college.  It's a 99% chance that I'll be trading these, so something within the ~$70-80 price range.

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 23
The AD700 would be a good option especially for gaming.

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 23
Yeah that was my first though.  What about something like the Sennheiser HD 555?  Which headphone would be better for music too?  Primarily rock, metal, and some easy listening.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 23
The AD700 would be better for music over the HD555 as long as you don't mind a less prominent bass response. The AD700 has better detail, clarity, soundstage, separation and imo comfort.  The bass is fast and tight instead of slow and wooly and they sound more energetic overall.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 23
I agree with all the other people. The AD700 are IMO a better overall headphone than the 555's. The AD700's are said to lack bass (won't know till I get them in another week 0.0) but i'm sure it's nothing a good eq change or amp couldn't change. 
Quote:    "With the help of a little Afro Engineering, you can fix anything!"               
deadhorse.gif

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
I just got my SR325(i)s and it basically does everything that the Grado SR60 didn't for me.  Now I'm looking for a 'phone to maybe replace the Grados for games and movies for when I go back to college.  It's a 99% chance that I'll be trading these, so something within the ~$70-80 price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158054&Tpk=creative%20aurvana%20live

Do it, do it now!

They're basically a rebadged Denon D1001, which normally retails at around $150, but Newegg has the CAL for $60.

Best $60 I have ever spent. 15/10 in comfort, Good balance all around, and they sound SPECTACULAR with gaming off the Mixamp.

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 23
Or you could just get the AD700's which are proven to excel in gaming, and provide substantial sound for listening to music. Do to the little amount known about these Aurvana's, I wouldn't take my chances. 

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 23
The CAL aren't as well known as the AD700s, but the Denon D1001 IS well known, and the CAL pretty much = D1001.

I owned the AD700s, and while they are the best gaming cans in their price range IMHO, they don't sound all that great with music or movies.

The CAL is a great all-arounder that compares to the M50 (not as fun as the M50s with music), and definitely better for gaming and movies due to their better soundstage.

He's asking for more than just gaming, and so I have to heavily recommend the CAL! or the M50s. The CAL does gaming and movies better, but the M50 does music better if you want more bass.

As much as I love the AD700s, They are just a one trick pony for me.

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Or you could just get the AD700's which are proven to excel in gaming, and provide substantial sound for listening to music. Do to the little amount known about these Aurvana's, I wouldn't take my chances. 

That's not a proven fact, it's a matter of opinion.  Besides, FPS are not the only games out there.  But it would seem that nobody on head-fi plays any other games besides FPS. 

Also, there was a time when the AD700s were relatively unknown here.  If I didn't know any better, I would just guess that you are trying to reassure yourself that you made the right purchase with the AD700s, but don't get me wrong I hope you do end up finding that you made the right purchase.  Of course, you could very well  be right not to recommend the CAL! because I've seen some people here that didn't like them just because they are cheap and Creative, even if they would love the D1001.  Luckily, it seems Mad Lust Envy is not as gullible.

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 23
SRH750DJ. The superior version of the D1001. :)

But more expensive....

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 23
Hmmm, I'm not too fond of Creative for Headphones/IEM's at all, but I've always eyed the A/AD700's.  

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:

That's not a proven fact, it's a matter of opinion.  Besides, FPS are not the only games out there.  But it would seem that nobody on head-fi plays any other games besides FPS. 

Also, there was a time when the AD700s were relatively unknown here.  If I didn't know any better, I would just guess that you are trying to reassure yourself that you made the right purchase with the AD700s, but don't get me wrong I hope you do end up finding that you made the right purchase. 

It is a proven fact. The graphs on their performance shows that they excel in certain area's that are critical to gaming. You should do some research before you put stuff down. And because of the AD700's large soundstage I don't see how they wouldn't do good in other games. Yes, there are always times when a new phone are unknown to people. You know why we know about the AD700 now? Because it is that good that it has grew in fame an people are starting to realize it is good for gaming. People say that most gamers from MLG have transitioned from the HD555 to the AD700 because of their proven performance in gaming. I am not trying to reassure myself of my purchase, because I know it is a good purchase. I have listened to the AD700's at a friends house and I know they are the right phone for me. Don't assume you know people or facts when you don't. 

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #14 of 23
Pez, you shouldn't judge the CAL by Creative's brand name because Creative had nothing to do with the creation of the CAL.

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #15 of 23
Creative also didn't technically make the EP-630, but it still had a cheaper build quality than it's knockoff of the Sennheiser CX300's.  I don't have a problem with Creative, I just have a problem with their headphones which aren't made by them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back