Headphones that sound most like Sonus Faber or B&W speakers
Jun 30, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #16 of 22
There is not any headphone can reproduce the type of sound similar to Sonus Faber, you need to pair an amp to tune the sound. I found that the DT880 + Opera is somehow has the sonic signature as Sonus Faber - warm and good defined, mellow in treble. Isn't it the type you like?

Jun 30, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #17 of 22
I think that Stax probably comes closest to the B&W sound. I don't think the Senns 600 series sound like B&W's. To me, Senns sound most like Revel Ultima speakers.

IMO, the closest you can come to Sonus Faber sound is probably with the Senn HE90's. Alas, at $6000 a pop + 2-3k for electrostatic amp, it's quite an investment.

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #18 of 22
I agreed that HD600 doesn't sound like the B&W. While Sonus Faber sounds more classical like the sound from violin, double-bass etc., not too many headphones can reproduce this type of sound except those can have outstanding performance when playing chamber music. This can narrow down the options.

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #19 of 22
Ok, so a very old thread and apologies for bringing it back to life but there is some interesting advice in here and I'd really like to hear more opinions / experiences if anyone has them....from my own part, I have some SF Cremona Auditor speakers and absolutely love their sound so would really like to hear more opinions.

If you don't know those speakers, they are really quite coloured: very warm upper bass / low mids, to the point where they can be a bit unexciting with rock but sound absolutely lovely with acoustic jazz. - They are from the Franco Serblin era, so their sound is different to the newer SF's (venere / olympica etc.) and actually nothing like B&W to my ears.

From reading reviews, I wondered if LCD-2's would do something similar? I wish Mr. Serblin had made some headphones....

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #20 of 22
Bringing back a really old horse. Did you make a choice NeoVibe?
Havent heard that specific b&w model but the ones I heard sounded nothing like my electa amators. A lot more 'technical' and bright.
In the sfaber corner I'll put the hd650 (which I own) and the he560. The 560 are prolly closest to my amators... now I finally understand why did they sound so nice & familiar from the first audition.

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #21 of 22
WOW what an old post. How long ago was this!

Reading my post, it's funny to see how things change as our experience progresses. I have a ton more experience with loudspeakers now, in a wide price range. The cheapest ones that made me feel comfortable were actually from Wilson Audio, the Sophia 3  (around 20k in the US I think).

Others I have listed I don't value as much today. Sonus Fabers sound too mellow for me (great for acoustic/intimate recordings but now much else), Proacs are a bit too polite and restrained, B&W's need to be cranked up to sound open, otherwise they are to 'closed in' or too 'hifi' (although driver integration is very good at 802d level).

A Sophia 3 on the other hand is a widescreen experience, uncompressed, expressive and direct as a good pair of headphones.

Thanks for bringing this up, reminded me of how much I changed (although my headphone rig is the same now that I look at my signature).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back