Headphones that gave you your first "eargasm"?
Feb 23, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #46 of 72
I don't think I've had my first "eargasm" yet, however, I do recall being pleased with my PX-100's over some Sony "sport" style headphones I had been using.

I was expecting something with my Grado SR-60s, but I quickly learned that it's not the sound for me.

I've really been enjoying my Senn HD-580's, and I'm expecting to come pretty close to eargasm once I get them properly amped and cabled. I can tell they need a lot of juice.

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #48 of 72
3 years old sennheiser hd25-1 with destroyed pads, and orginal cable buyed for 100$ + Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper ...

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #49 of 72
My first was with Grado SR80s too. Track was New Order's '586' from 'Power, Corruption, and Lies'. I first discovered these phones after a recommendation and was hooked. This was before I even knew about headphone-amps and dedicated systems. They were hooked up to my 1977 Akai seperates rig. I distinctly recall the part of '586' where the synth overtone kicks in nearing the end of the song...It just really surprised me that these cans were that cheap. Well, from there I have advanced to SR325i's and retained all the sr80s glory and much more.

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? Sony has made some of the best headphones ever..

key word is MADE lol. sony hasn't made a good headphone in years.

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #52 of 72
I think I had one last night? After enjoying some of So Cals Finest.
I grabbed my Denons and put on Neil Youngs Greatest hits. And by the end of "OLD MAN" I'm like DAYUM that Sounded Sweet..
Then I went over to Cypress Hills Black Sunday, Not the same effect but I was Grooving hard!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #53 of 72
My old system consisted of Senn Hd600 and a Opera audio cyber 10 tube amp driven with my Cambridge Audio D500se cd player.I thought I had heard some of the best on this system untill....
I went into the local HIFI shop in Victoria Canada and to inquired about Grado headphones.The clerk was happy to spread the entire line up out before me.He had a ASL MKIII amp and a CD player hooked up for auditioning. I started out with the Grado sr60s. OK nice forward sound alive with decent detail.I then move up the latter and each got better as i climbed.Then enter in the Grado RS-1.I put some of my cds in the player(Note. I hadn't looked that close at the CD player yet).wow what are these front row passes to all my cd's?I then had a look at the player hmmm ... Linn cd12
eek.gif
....Wait a minute here a $20,000 cd player drive a $600 amp and $700 head phones..Talk about an unfair advantage .Well the clerk put in Hotel California for me and well let me just say I sat there in awh.I was in a sureal music place I cant discribe it other than to say I was there when the recording was being made.I now have a hard time finding anything that will reproduce the drums like that.I was just crazy. I ended up buying a pair of Grado sr80s from him that day as this was what I bugeted for, but I will always remember that day.Now I am starting to get cash together to get a serious home headphone system together again.but not at that price.
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Whipped /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My old system consisted of Senn Hd600 and a Opera audio cyber 10 tube amp driven with my Cambridge Audio D500se cd player.I thought I had heard some of the best on this system untill....
I went into the local HIFI shop in Victoria Canada and to inquired about Grado headphones.The clerk was happy to spread the entire line up out before me.He had a ASL MKIII amp and a CD player hooked up for auditioning. I started out with the Grado sr60s. OK nice forward sound alive with decent detail.I then move up the latter and each got better as i climbed.Then enter in the Grado RS-1.I put some of my cds in the player(Note. I hadn't looked that close at the CD player yet).wow what are these front row passes to all my cd's?I then had a look at the player hmmm ... Linn cd12
eek.gif
....Wait a minute here a $20,000 cd player drive a $600 amp and $700 head phones..Talk about an unfair advantage .Well the clerk put in Hotel California for me and well let me just say I sat there in awh.I was in a sureal music place I cant discribe it other than to say I was there when the recording was being made.I now have a hard time finding anything that will reproduce the drums like that.I was just crazy. I ended up buying a pair of Grado sr80s from him that day as this was what I bugeted for, but I will always remember that day.Now I am starting to get cash together to get a serious home headphone system together again.but not at that price.
wink.gif

daym i wouldn't event want to hear that set up it would just make mine sound like crap. it would be a looooooooooooong time to afford that kinda sound.

btw why do people like hotel california? they have it on an ipod at work to play on our portable speakers omg i hate that song.

Feb 25, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #55 of 72
The the deep bass of the Ultrasone Proline 650 (PL650) did it for me with electronica and pipe organ music.

And the HD595 did it for me but only near the beginning of the movie the Matrix where I actually thought I was hearing an oncoming earthquake or something. It freaked me out, and I didn't realize it wasn't real until I thought to remove the HD595.

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #56 of 72
I too was skeptical about all the audiophile love for hotel california, until i heard the live version from hell freezes over...

needless to say, on my emu 0404 -> millett hybrid max -> hd 650, the live version of hotel california is KILLER!!! the drums and bass, OMG... listen to that one song on the proper set-up and trust me, starting from the 00:32 mark, you will see what the fuss is all about

cant really remember what particular song popped my ear cherry (but im sure it involved an sr60 and a ROCKIN song), but i CAN remember the most recent. Last nite, the latter part of Pines of Rome by Ottorino Respighi on my dt880s......O.M.G.

Never heard anything more majestic, more regal, more resounding in my life. it was FULL ORCHESTRAL SOUND booming in my head, with no flaws in the recording or the playback whatsoever...cant wait to go another round later
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too was skeptical about all the audiophile love for hotel california, until i heard the live version from hell freezes over...

needless to say, on my emu 0404 -> millett hybrid max -> hd 650, the live version of hotel california is KILLER!!! the drums and bass, OMG... listen to that one song on the proper set-up and trust me, starting from the 00:32 mark, you will see what the fuss is all about

cant really remember what particular song popped my ear cherry (but im sure it involved an sr60 and a ROCKIN song), but i CAN remember the most recent. Last nite, the latter part of Pines of Rome by Ottorino Respighi on my dt880s......O.M.G.

Never heard anything more majestic, more regal, more resounding in my life. it was FULL ORCHESTRAL SOUND booming in my head, with no flaws in the recording or the playback whatsoever...cant wait to go another round later
wink.gif

hmmmm interesting i will keep that in mind thanx.

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
key word is MADE lol. sony hasn't made a good headphone in years.

The SA5000 was released in 05.. Wasn't ages ago.. & they would give you multiple eargasms..

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
true but i jut haven't heard stories of IEM eargasms. does anybody have one?

tongue.gif
. What the heck do you meen by an eargasm. You meen just when something sounds damn good right... no fluids leaking from our ears or anything I hope. I havn't experienced that yet.

Feb 25, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by weste47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif
. What the heck do you meen by an eargasm. You meen just when something sounds damn good right... no fluids leaking from our ears or anything I hope. I havn't experienced that yet.

lol no i would hope you wouldn't have fluid leaking from your ears my friend. if you did you may need medical attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back