Headphones that gave you your first "eargasm"?
Feb 22, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i decided to post this cuz i just had my first "eargasm" i was listening with:

HD600 with HD650 cable

TO:

Timbaland: Shock Value - The Way I Are remix [bonus track] Timbaland VS. Nephew @ 320kbps

omg i had read about the "eargasm" but i thought it was just an exaggeration. boy was i wrong. i can't really describe the sensation that was going through my brain. it was like my head had goosebumps and i couldn't do anything but close my eyes and nod my head.

since my lod is on its way and my headsix doesn't have a 1/4 jack and my grado 1/4 adapter is on its way as well. I have my HD600 hooked up to my sony home stereo and have my ipod running through the RC jacks in the back.

all i can say is wow.

now i turn the floor over to the members of head-fi. what's the story of the phones that gave you your first "eargasm" or most recent "eargasm" if you can't remember back that far.

The 600's scale very well.. So if you ever come into some money, balancing them would be a perfect move.. I use my 650's balanced through my DAC1 & very, very, musical..

My first real eargasm came in April of 07.. Just got my balanced SA5000 back from Alex & played Can-I-Bus The C-equal.. I was floored by the clarity, crispness, & detail.. I felt like rolling on the floor, wishing others could here this.. Was smiling with a stupid look on my face.. but it wears off & becomes 'normal'.. So you want another level.. Which is why I'm spending all I can afford to achieve it..

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #32 of 72
I can not say when I actually had my first "real" eargasm, but I will attempt to plot my path to say that it is still occuring. Last November I first heard about IEMs, and I mentioned it at our weekly dinner. Well one of the other HPVOoOer's had a pair of EC2s from Shure. Well I borrowed them and listened on my Sansa E260 player, I quivered a little. Then I aksed him why he did not like them, and he told me he thought that there was not enough bass. Well I bought them from him, and let my teenager hear them. Then I found head-fi (is that visual_intellectualgasm?) and settled on a new pair of IEMs for my self. I got a pair of UE Super Fi's, and had some real spurts of gasms. Continuing down my path of multiple gasms I then purchased a 5.5 IPOD and ripped all of my CD's lossless (teenage had to re-rip everything from his CD's ha ha). Bought a starter amp and learned more about LODs. Sent to Germany and upgraded to a Headsix (wanted to support Head-fi), and a Quables LOD. And it just keeps coming and coming. And I have purchased albums at the reviews I have read here and had more multiple eargams periods. Oooh just the thought of putting on SNOW makes me ....

B
smily_headphones1.gif

PS my biggest eargasm occured when I realized I could hear music and not SO asking if I wanted a cup of tea. :)
PPS IEMs forever.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 600's scale very well.. So if you ever come into some money, balancing them would be a perfect move.. I use my 650's balanced through my DAC1 & very, very, musical..

My first real eargasm came in April of 07.. Just got my balanced SA5000 back from Alex & played Can-I-Bus The C-equal.. I was floored by the clarity, crispness, & detail.. I felt like rolling on the floor, wishing others could here this.. Was smiling with a stupid look on my face.. but it wears off & becomes 'normal'.. So you want another level.. Which is why I'm spending all I can afford to achieve it..

unfortunately balancing is crazy expensive for me right now. not so much the cables but the freakin amps. can't afford it. maybe after i'm done with school and get a real job to support my hobby. then i can get into stax or gs1000, jvc, deep cups, E9s, w5000, etc. etc. u kno all those cans us low level folks dream about.

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

unfortunately balancing is crazy expensive for me right now. not so much the cables but the freakin amps. can't afford it. maybe after i'm done with school and get a real job to support my hobby. then i can get into stax or gs1000, jvc, deep cups, E9s, w5000, etc. etc. u kno all those cans us low level folks dream about.

Yeah, I'm poor myself.. My disposable income goes to my audio..

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

& the gear being used correct? People usually associate the two together.. There can be a difference. Some music can get to me emotionally & fill my body & brain, regardless of source, But I only noticed true euphoria & giddiness, jaw dropping tingles when listening to music with better gear.. So maybe theres a difference..

I find that for spine tingling involvement, the gear makes very very little difference to me personally. So long as the reproduction is better than awful obviously.

I could still very easily get a big high out of my favourite music from that panasonic tape player. I'd probably move up to at least iBuds or a KSC75 though, I've probably come too far now to go back as far as those 10+ year old 1penny earphones.

This is for headphone listening. For speaker listening I'd probably have a much harder time going back.

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #36 of 72
I personaly would say that my Grado sr225 was my first. The only problem with them is that the sound for me is too forward or harsh after extended listening.

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #38 of 72
the sony mdr sa1000 that im using now ... cheap-crap headphones which make you want to take them off the moment they produce sound

started playing some music, and the EQ only made the sound go from bad to bad , 2 hours of messing with sliders and suddenly you get the exact right combination of parameters and all the pain goes away ... you enter this spatious state of mind, like you are in a white ,round room, where you'd be convinced that was the best thing youve ever heard in your life

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by carmatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the sony mdr sa1000 that im using now ... cheap-crap headphones which make you want to take them off the moment they produce sound

started playing some music, and the EQ only made the sound go from bad to bad , 2 hours of messing with sliders and suddenly you get the exact right combination of parameters and all the pain goes away ... you enter this spatious state of mind, like you are in a white ,round room, where you'd be convinced that was the best thing youve ever heard in your life

with sonys? wow

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #40 of 72
The first real 'eargasm' would be listening to Philip Glass' Symphony #2 at the shop that I bought my SR-60. I instantly fell in love with the amount of detail.

After about 45 min of demo, I was hooked.

Nylan

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

with sonys? wow

i digress... the best way to achieve orgasm of any kind is through a period of discomfort by which the build up of tension occurs ,followed by the cessation of the period of discomfort prompting the release of said tension, with the intended effect of relief adding to the sense of pleasure and anticipation

it did take a looong time to find the correct EQ setting, but now i believe i do have found it

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #42 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by carmatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i digress... the best way to achieve orgasm of any kind is through a period of discomfort by which the build up of tension occurs ,followed by the cessation of the period of discomfort prompting the release of said tension, with the intended effect of relief adding to the sense of pleasure and anticipation

it did take a looong time to find the correct EQ setting, but now i believe i do have found it

well i'll be daymed. i'm a serious sony hater so ur story just shocked the hell outta me.

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

well i'll be daymed. i'm a serious sony hater so ur story just shocked the hell outta me.

Why? Sony has made some of the best headphones ever..

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #44 of 72
Probably KSC-75s
smily_headphones1.gif
Just the first time of somewhat "higher-end" audio. Alot of eargasm moments with the Atrio M5s and my Clix2, right now actually playing EVERN - Do I Go (Toyota Matrix 2009 commercial song) LOL

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #45 of 72
Quote:

Why? Sony has made some of the best headphones ever..

but obviously not the mdr sa1000's i have ... or else ive actually bought counterfeits , i dont know, theyre just bad bad BAAAD .... it was so bad that i had to do something about it, having just busted my mdr f1 and with no other phone to go with , so i spent like 5 hours nailing down a proper EQ to fight against the suckiness that is the sa1000 ... but the one thing it did get right was being really comfortable to wear
i must say im quite pleased with my results, with the equalizations it is nearly indiscernable from my mdr f1 ... well to an inexperienced hifi person anyway... it did make me stay and listen to more and more tracks, as if i just couldnt believe or accept that the sa1000 is sounding as good as it is, despite all the artifacting that i am plainly hearing... just getting to hear the songs properly through it was a trip in its own right

anyway, the mdr f1 is a great pair of cans, theyre so comfy that even if you have 'eargasms' you wont even notice , you'll just get lost in the music...not as ergonomic as the MDR SAx000 series, but trounces my sa1000 with sound quality, and lets alot more air in around your ears too... the 'bass lens' of each driver really does work (closed headphone levels of bass in an open headphone design), i dont know of any other pair of headphones which has that feature, so for me that makes the mdr f1 irreplacable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back