Headphones that fit a child?
Oct 15, 2010 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

gspence2000

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a set of headphones for my 5-year old.  He's really showing an interest in music and I'd like to encourage him. 

I thought maybe a used pair of Grado SR-60s would be a good first pair, but when I put my HF-2's on his head they are way too big.  My wife tried to fit her iPod earbuds into his ears but they are far too big.

Are there any headphones that adjust properly for a child's head, and isn't too expensive?

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 33
I suggest Koss KSC75 clip-ons. The sound is super and you can bend the clips to help give a snug fit. They are $20 online.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 33
Dunno what price range you're looking at, but Senn HD25-1 II's can fit a really small head and will survive any rough child hands
wink_face.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 33

Quote:
I suggest Koss KSC75 clip-ons. The sound is super and you can bend the clips to help give a snug fit. They are $20 online.

Quote:
Dunno what price range you're looking at, but Senn HD25-1 II's can fit a really small head and will survive any rough child hands
wink_face.gif

Both of these would be good. The clip on's are a little more cost effective though.

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 33
The Koss KSC75 are more in my price range I think! 
wink_face.gif

I hadn't considered clip-ons.  Are they the best fit for a child's head?

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 33
Like you, I've tried various headphones (cans, buds, clip-ons) for my four-year old son and none of them have worked at all.  They slipped out/off or he found them annoying and would remove it within a few seconds. 

Then, I tried one of my older cans, the black, old-school DT990 Pros.

Those fit him perfectly.

Costs about 150 or so, but they are nearly indestructible. 

The price would seem outrageous for a child to the normal, everyday citizen of the world.  But to us head-fi'ers, no problemo.

Cheers.

Mamoru

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 33
is it possible to cause hearing damage in early age by using headphone?
and young ppl walking around wearing headphones not aware of traffics can be dangerous.
i maybe worry too much these days even it's non of my businesee.

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 33
Those DT990s look pretty sweet.  As a Sennheiser wearer I totally understand how circumaural would be more comfortable.  I'd like to keep this under $80 though. 

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 33
If you factor in the fact that the 990 Pros will last damn near forever, and could be used by your son for many, many years, it might be money well spent.  I'm not sure anything sub-$80 would even compare and few of the $30-40 headphones I've tried with my son met with negative results.

I wish I had more suggestions for you, but I don't. 

Good luck in your search.

Cheers.

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 33
Oh, you're going to make this as hard for me as possible, aren't you?   My wife would never understand, and I don't know how to get funds into my PayPal account without a paper trail...
wink_face.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 33
Be careful.....its easy for a child to listen at higher volume levels than they should.  Hearing loss can not be reversed.

If you must get your child headphones at least use some sort of method to control the volume level that can not be bypassed except by you....

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #13 of 33
I plan to hard-wire the phones into a little homemade CMOY amp, and I'll put a resistor in series with the potentiometer so that I can set an upper limit for the volume.  I'm pretty careful with my own ears, and I want to make sure he will enjoy his for a lifetime.

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #15 of 33

Quote:
Porta Pro would also work if you don't want to get a clip on. The KSC75 sounds better though.

Arent they the same drivers?

Also I'd suggest iGrado's but they are pretty expensive and they don't fit right unless you have one sized head due to their nort having moving parts thing. they sound awesome but they leak like headspeakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back