Headphones suggestions for classical music
Jan 25, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #16 of 41
Well I’m only a newbie here but I have been going to concerts and playing with audio equipment for longer than I would like to admit. For the last few months I have been enjoying a pair of HD650s for listening to perhaps a 50/50 mix of classical music and acoustic mainstream jazz. While I have a Stax Lambda Signature system that makes the Senns sound as if you have socks stuffed in your ears, on their own though the 650s do seem to be able to generate similar sensations to being in a concert hall. I like their ‘big and friendly’ bass response and relatively open sound stage as it reminds me of the real thing. Their overall frequency response is very smooth, and if you think the sound too distant you have the simple option of removing the foam pads and ‘nyloning’ them. This opens them out quite a bit, almost to the level of the Stax phones.

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #17 of 41
Fast German type stuff: Wagner, Modern Technical *Zimmer*, Schmidt, Mahler, Schoenberg, etc.

I found that the HD580 just couldn't keep up like my im716's could. I am finding that the ES7's handle that style of classical much better than the 580's w/ an average amp.

ALso, I like stuff from newer composers like Tichelli (Vesuvias) and Ewazen ( modern brass)

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #18 of 41
I listen mainly to classical and recently bought a used set of Stax SR-5's with the SDR7 energizer. They sound great for all types of classical, much better than my Grado Sr80. I especially like them for listening to vinyl.

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #19 of 41
Anything from the Stax Camp, followed by a little distance by the K-501.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #20 of 41
I don't know how they compare to the K501 or the Sennheiser models, but I love my Audio-Technica AD700 for classical and acoustic. It's a lush, soundstage-rich can with a strong midrange. It improves with amplification, but it's probably one of your best choices if you don't have an amp.

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is in wrong forum but what amp is good for HD600s that will be fast enough? I have BADA PH-12... would that be fast enough?
I can't really spend 700, 800 bucks on an amp :S I eat less to save money for headphones because I'm a poor student
biggrin.gif

The Bada-PH12 is great with HD600, HD650 and K701 (my favorite)! : )

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #23 of 41
I cannot understand what the guy talking about "fast german stuff" means. Wagner and Mahler are fast? Are Bach, Beethoven and Brahms no longer German, or are they slower in some way? Headphones can't keep up? I have no idea what is meant by these comments.

I think the Senn 580s are very neutral, and at the same time somewhat lush. However, they get a bit uncomfortable after long listening - they are a soft and cushy vice on your head. Still, they are very good sounding headphones, and can be great with sufficient amplification.

Electrostatics are wonderful, but expensive, less reliable, and in some ways not as well rounded as dynamic phones, to my ears.

My Grado SR-60s and Koss-KSC 75s are a step down in sound quality from my Senns, but still quite good. I find the Koss comfortable for long listening, very portable, and certainly the great bargain of the headphones I've owned. Every headphone fan should own a pair of them.

My in-ear Shure E2C's are my least favorite - uncomfortible unnatural sounding, and expensive in relation to the Kosses. On the other hand, isolation is good.

I have not tried the AKGs.

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #24 of 41
Fast German stuff like Kraftwerk and Nina Hagen ... LOL
biggrin.gif
. Sorry couldnt resist.

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #25 of 41
Oistrakh, as you can already tell from the responses in this thread alone, even among people who listen to a lot of classical music there is much debate about what is a good classical headphone.

You know, you said you were looking for a closed headphone, not quite as small as the PX100, that does classical justice? Although many people have not tried it, the new Senn HD25-1 II's are quite nice, ESPECIALLY at their price point (~180$US)! Something to consider.

I listen to a fair amount of classical and instrumental music, and I've fallen in love with the Sennheiser and B&W sonic signatures.
The HD600, when carefully paired with certain upstream components can sound quite nice. Personally, I think the HD650 trounces it, but I can see how some would prefer either.
Either way though, these are serious headphones..... the HD280pro can not be compared to either of these.

Other's have fallen in love with the AKG sonic sig. So a K701 would be the choice from AKG.

I wasn't impressed with Audio Technica or Grado for classical, nor the Denon's.
Edit: I should also note that some people like the Beyer DT880 for classical.

As for IEM's though, I've yet to find one with the warmth that I'm looking for........ so I can't really help you there.

So, to sum up.
I think it is safe to say that the K701, HD600, and HD650 come highly recommended for classical music, for a big open can. It's up to personal preference.

For closed, I haven't found many that I like.
The HD25-1 is one of the very few that I've liked.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
Keep us posted as to what you decide.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #27 of 41
For the most part I listen only to audiophile classical discs and I've come to appreciate headphones that aren't really headphones in the classic sense. Phones like my current FOTM, the Sony MDR-F1, which is more like small monitor speakers next to my ears or the YUIN PK1s that completely disappears in my ears are the kinds of phones I'm thinking of. I'm no longer so willing to accept the tradeoff of SQ for comfort like the HD600s and K701s force me to do. Nor do I value SS and 3D image placement as highly as I once did so now I can relax and enjoy the MS1s as the fun phones they really are without being concerned about SS and 3D imaging.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #28 of 41
For classical between $100 and $200, I can think of two options.

First, the AKG K-501. To me, it's second only to the K-1000 for classical. Much of the same sound signature, neutrality and realism. The K-1000 is better, but the K-501 gets damn close. If you consider the price, the K-501 might just be better.
eek.gif
A drawback to the K-501 is that it likes a good shot of current, like the K-1000. It needs to be stoutly amped. Also, it only shines with acoustic material. If you're listening to amplified instruments, you'll understand all the posts complaining about the lack of bass. It'll make a tympani sound real, but not an electric bass.

Second, the Beyerdynamic DT880. A little brighter and more forward, but it is also excellent for classical. I prefer it for jazz, but I do listen to it for classical. Also works for rock, country and even some electronica. Not quite as "real" as the K-501, but it's close and sounds great. Might be easier to get since it's still in production.

If you're willing to go more than $200, you might want to consider the HD-600. My experience with it is limited, but I liked it enough to buy one this morning. Not here yet, but I expect to put a lot of happy hours on it. I'm also warming up to the K-701. I finally have it amped correctly (it's persnickety - sounds lifeless and plasticky with the wrong amp) and am just beginning to appreciate it. Finally, I think the Sony MDR-SA5000 is pretty good with classical, except that it really needs to be run on tubes to tone down the highs a bit.

As for closed headphones, I don't know. I might come around to them someday, but my preference is strongly for open headphones.

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #29 of 41
I highly recommend you take a look at the current Stax line. Ex. the SR-303..
Its a great headphone for classical music.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back