Headphones or Speakers?
Jul 22, 2008 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

MatsudaMan

aka JohannesBrahms, KittlesLittles, Bigglesworth.
How many of you prefer a good speaker setup to headphones? I have to say that while I love my headphones, I'd rather listen to my speakers for a number of reasons. First of all, I just love the real soundstage you get with a good hi-fi setup. Second of all, sometimes I really get sick of the feeling of headphones on my head. Thirdly, with a regular speaker setup, you can feel the music all over your body (especially bass), as opposed to the music between your ears. Also, you can't really share the music with others. So often, I find myself thinking, "Oh man, I wish (insert name) could here what I'm hearing right now!" All this being said, I spend a lot of time listening to music through my headphones, especially at night when I can't play music very loud, and I enjoy it to the fullest - I recognize headphones special niche in my music listening. How many of you out there also prefer a proper hi-fi to your headphones?

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 39
I

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 39
I like both they each have advantages.

A smart man on this forum said something to the effect of.
With good headphones "you are there", with good speakers "they are here".

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 39
I like both, but my current life style confines me to a headphone user.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 39
Yes, altough speakers give some really good advantages, they are somewhat limited. For example, you can use your headphones anytime of the day without bottering anybody (except your wife lol), and you can use headphones without worrying about placement, distance, room materials, blah blah blah...
But I must say, I love Earphones

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 39
Not me... -> To the first question.

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 39
Headphones are convenient, inexpensive and private. Speakers give a fuller and more natural presentation for music. They both have their purposes.

Speakers- whenever I can
Headphones- when I have to

See ya
Steve

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #9 of 39
Tough call, I like headphones, speakers and earspeakers.
wink.gif

Though I've had the most profound experiences with my ribbons. When they're positioned and toed in just right and you're sitting in the sweet spot, they're magical. Dipolar radiation is frighteningly like the real thing. You can't really tell that the music is coming from the speakers, but a perfect soundstage is laid across the wall behind them. It's initially disconcerting, then you're pulled into the music. They don't do bass well, but vocals and acoustics are dead on.

Jul 22, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like both they each have advantages.

A smart man on this forum said something to the effect of.
With good headphones "you are there", with good speakers "they are here".

Good quote. Sums it up well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like headphones, speakers and earspeakers.
wink.gif

Whereas I like speakers, earspeakers, electrostatic headphones and IEMs.
wink.gif

As is emerging as a general consensus, each can have a 'fit' in a listener's audio life.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 39
I do not have an hi-fi set of speakers...so i may be mistaken,but i'd take headpones no doubt over anything...i'm a reserved person, privacy is all for me...i'd listen through speakers only music played live... probably
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #13 of 39
Speakers are best but headphones can be excellent too and in some cases, more realistic in a surround sound kind of way.

With speakers though, your whole body is bathing in the wonderful sound, not just your head. It's your entire body. Just feel the music and let go brotha!

chewie0ol.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 39
I love both. In fact, in my new house, I should have two rooms in the basement. One for speakers and HT and another for headphones.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get around the irritation that stax causes with my right ear lol. Sucks b/c I do not like dynamics as much as I like stax.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #15 of 39
Thanks for all the replies everyone! It's so interesting to see all the different opinions around here. For those who bring up the point that speakers are too expensive and you can get much better sound with a cheaper headphone setup, I don't think it's that simple. People around here are spending ridiculous amounts of money on headphones, amps, and sources - thousands of dollars. You can get a great hi-fi rig for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back