Headphones in winter?
Aug 21, 2008 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Awah

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, since the school year is getting closer, means summer will be right behind it. Everyday while waiting for buses/walking to stops I have at least an hour, and when it is way into the negative temperatures I can't really listen to my Super.Fi 5 Pro's as they stick out too much to wear my little earmuffs.

Questions are:
Does the cold damage headphones?
What temperatures would it start at?
Would I be fine to wear my AD2000's in winter?

I'd probably only wear them walking and waiting and toss in my SF5P once I got onto the bus. Don't want to make people angry with open cans!

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 14
Ye that's what I was wondering
frown.gif

Would like music but not at the cost of losing my ears...reaches to -50 C at some points in January
angry_face.gif
Really does suck!

Believe the pads are faux suede on my AD2000's
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 14
So should I assume that it would be a bad idea to wear my AD2000 outside in the winter?

If that's a yes, is there a way anyone knows that I can wear my SF5P so I can use those compact earmuff things?

earmuffs.jpg

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 14
You go around in -50C with just ear muffs on your head? I imagine any pads on full sized headphones would be too cold except velour pads. Personally, I use my UM1 with a wool watch cap. I'd think at -50C, you'll be hurrying to much, to get out of the cold, to do anything like critical listening. I'd suggest a cheaper in ear that doesn't stick out as much for walking around in the cold.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 14
Though it only gets down to -30 C here most winters, I'd suggest a nice warm hat and some IEMs. As the body cuts no losses when trying to keep the brain warm, you'll quickly lose warmth from the rest of the body, so a hat is essential in the winter.

Aug 22, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 14
Not practical for portable use, but you should heat your place with vacuum tubes.

When it gets to a chilly 55 or so here in Southern California, the tubes help take the edge off.
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EWHPTecFleece_Black_LRG.jpg

I've got a pair of these and they are really nice for the winter. Not bad sounding, although a little tight on the head and ears. My ears will start to hurt a bit from the pressure if I try to wear them for too long.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 14
I concur about the tube equipment helping heat my place during winter. I actually swap speaker amps and TV sets for the winter.... B&W tube-chassis tv and 1961 EL84 integrated really toast up the room.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
winnipegfrozenxk7.jpg

Insufficient warmth and lack of longevity. Better off with ...

Molotov_cocktail_flam.jpg

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Awah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So should I assume that it would be a bad idea to wear my AD2000 outside in the winter?

If that's a yes, is there a way anyone knows that I can wear my SF5P so I can use those compact earmuff things?

earmuffs.jpg

I've been wearing my SF5P under those types of earmuffs during the winter for a couple years now, you just have to flip the drivers and swap the cables so that they lie flat in your ears (see http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mod...i-5pro-188970/).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back