Headphones for wife
Nov 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mosquito Control

New Head-Fier
Hello all, my wife is looking for some new portable headphones.  I've gotten help from this forum in finding my dream home headphones (Denon D-2000s) as well as portables (Sennheiser PX-100s), so I figured I'd ask again to get some help for my wife.

She is currently using the Bose Triport On Ear headphones.  She likes the sound from them, but for prolonged use, it clamps too much on her head and gets uncomfortable.  I've let her use my PX-100s, but she complains there is not enough bass.  I can see why she *thinks* that, as we all know the Bose have that super bloated bass sound.

So what she is looking for is:

A: Lightweight, comfortable to wear all day long at work
B: Pretty good at keeping sound in AND out
C: Heavy bass sound
D: Price range around $50-$60

Any help is appreciated!

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 13
Not enough bass with the PX100!? In that case you may want to consider one of the Sony XB-series phones as a serious option. The XB500 is a little large but quite comfortable and very bassy.

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 13
No offense but the iGrado is stupidly uncomfortable for those with smaller heads, does nothing to keep sound in or out, and has less bass than a PX100. It does cost around $50 so at least there's that.

@OP: If the XB500 is too big, you are really limited to supraaural phones which will always be limited in comfort. Perhaps the JVC HA-S700 is worth a look as a small circumaural although it doesn't sound that great (probably no better than the Bose set). There's also the Maxell DHP-II but it's a fragile set and not fully closed. Sounds excellent though.

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 13
I would stick with the PX100, however, as your wife is a basshead then how about the HD218? 

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 13
Have a look at Panasonic RP-HTX7. My wife got them after Koss PortaPro failed again...

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 13
For a closed headphone:

Senn HD218/228 may work but not very comfortable as they are supra-aural headphones.

Or you may consider Denon D510s, for some one who does not have big ears D510s are around-ear headphone. If so, they will be fairly comfortable.

If you would like to pay more Bose Triport Around Ear would be the best choice for comfort (I have used & tried no less than 60 headphones, Around-ears are second to none for comfort), but they get less bass than On-Ears.

Same as on-ears, around-ears actually leak a little sound out. But Denons never leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back