Headphones for Walking
Mar 3, 2011 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AngryBaconGod

100+ Head-Fier
Yes, another noob requests suggestions.

I've been reading a researching for a few weeks on and off, and am really no closer to figuring out what I want.

What I have is a pair of Sennheiser ie8's which I like just fine.

What I want is a pair of headphones which I use while walking (downtown, very busy, lots of cars, wind noise, etc, etc.)

IEMs are unacceptable to me while walking for two reasons. The first is obviously safety. I don't mind some noise isolation, but too much is dangerous. The other problem is that foot step impact sounds are amplified hugely while wearing IEMs, and it kinda freaks me out.

First is figuring out which type of headphones to get. I was thinking that I probably want supra-aural headphones, but I'm not sure. I definitely don't want full sized cans. Any thoughts or suggestions on other possibilities I might have overlooked?

Sound isolation isn't too important (and in fact too much would be a problem) so that helps.

My budget is $200CDN, and I must actually be able to buy these in Canada.

I also despise huge markups in the Canadian market, and will out of principle forego any purchase which gouges Canadian consumers.

I'm using a iPod Touch, so in-line controls is a plus, but not a necessity.

These would be used primarily walking as stated above, but I might use them indoors (in private) as well under some circumstances.

Audio quality matters.

So... thoughts?

FWIW, I have the Alessandro MS1 on my short list.

Thanks!

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 11
For a start, when you're hearing your own footsteps, it's called the occlusion effect, it's a native problem with iem's which many people/manufacturers have tried to reduce with not much success. At the other end of the scale, if you were to wear a phone like the MS1 around in public you'd either have to turn them up so loud you'd damage your hearing and annoy everyone around you, or you'd hear so much noise from the outside it'd start detracting from the music (hence why bother with the good phones??) As for closed phones, they're not really my thing but you won't go far wrong by reading this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-69-portable-headphones-reviewed-bowers-wilkins-p5-sony-xb700-added-02-21

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 11
Marcus_C,

Thank you for giving me the name of the effect. I noticed it with my e4c's many years ago, so I figured it was a common effect.

The comment on the MS1 is well received.

I've been reading through that thread amongst other threads and reviews, and I'm simultaneously struck by the shear breadth of choice (so where to start??) and the realization that every pair is a tradeoff of some sort. A thread like this might help me to refine which tradeoffs I can and cannot live with.

Cheers!

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
I've been reading through that thread amongst other threads and reviews, and I'm simultaneously struck by the shear breadth of choice (so where to start??) and the realization that every pair is a tradeoff of some sort. A thread like this might help me to refine which tradeoffs I can and cannot live with.

You've summed up very well why head-fi is such a big forum, hope you find something you like and someone more appropriately knowledgeable turns up, Welcome to head-fi by the way, and sorry about your wallet!!

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
You've summed up very well why head-fi is such a big forum, hope you find something you like and someone more appropriately knowledgeable turns up, Welcome to head-fi by the way, and sorry about your wallet!!

Ha! My wallet has suffered for years, between Paradigm, Bryston, and bottlehead... And Yamaha, and Onkyo, and ... yeah. Heh.

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 11
What about the Audio Technica EC700? I have the similar sounding older EC7 model and they're great for walking where you don't want occlusion noise and need only little isolation. Sound is nicely balanced, plus these are super comfy - you won't feel them in your ears. Though isolation might be too low for your purpose and I don't know whether you could get them in Canada.

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
What about the Audio Technica EC700? I have the similar sounding older EC7 model and they're great for walking where you don't want occlusion noise and need only little isolation. Sound is nicely balanced, plus these are super comfy - you won't feel them in your ears. Though isolation might be too low for your purpose and I don't know whether you could get them in Canada.

Those are funky looking headphones. Sadly nowhere to be seen here.

I know I said supra-aural, but I'm taking a hard look at that the Phiaton MS400. I can ship it into Canada (or the PS 320) for a not awful price. I've also been looking at compromising my budget and considering the B&W P5's... but that's still a stretch. They are supra-aural which is a plus, though at least one review suggests they are somewhat lacking in the sound department... I guess relative to the cost, anyway.

I think the Phaiton would be a better buy though, no?

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 11
I think that the noise blocking capabilities of IEMs are greatly exaggerated.

My Triple Fi 10v blocks more sound than my actual earplugs, but I still hear way more traffic and TV noise than I'd like, and certainly enough to be safe.

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 11
I'm leaning towards ordering the Phiaton MS400. I was looking at the Sennheiser hd 25-ii, but I'm gathering an impression that the Phiaton's are a bit closer to the ie8's in sound.

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
I think that the noise blocking capabilities of IEMs are greatly exaggerated.

My Triple Fi 10v blocks more sound than my actual earplugs, but I still hear way more traffic and TV noise than I'd like, and certainly enough to be safe.

IEMs certainly aren't created equal. My old Shures did a much better job of blocking noise than the ie8's. And I suppose that third party replacement tips can affect it as well.

The occlusion effect described above is enough for me to never want to walk with IEMs in.

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks to all who responded. I made my decision and completed the order a few minutes ago.

I also got around to ordering a pack of Comply foam tips for my ie8's. I'll post my findings, hopefully next week, if anybody is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back