Headphones for under $100 for mixing and listening
Apr 29, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #17 of 22
Seconding the Sony MDR-7506 (or the debatably identical and usually cheaper V6). The Shure SRH440 and Audio-Technica ATH-M30, though less popular than their big brothers, are also worth consideration.

Don't try to mix with Grados. They're fun, but nowhere near flat.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #20 of 22
Headphones are great for mixing. There is no better way to get a feel for the sound field than with 'phones. I like a nice wide stage. Levels can get pretty close with headphones but the final listening-to NEEDS to be on good monitors. 

BTW, I still vote AKG K240s for anything but recording vocals with a condenser mic. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #22 of 22
I would absolutely *not* go with the Sennheiser HD-280. They are fine for tracking but have a weird boxy coloration and overdamped bass. Go with an open back design like the Sennheiser HD 598 or AKG K240.

And it's fine to mix with uncolored headphones, once you've listened to known material through the same phones and gotten a good feeling for what it should sound like. Nobody relies on a single source for mixing anyway, so you would want to check the mix on good monitors, car speakers, ear buds, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back