Headphones for the sister :D
Feb 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ElectroNut

New Head-Fier
My sister has become obsessed with my headphones.  Thing she finally realized what music can sound like if it isnt coming out of laptop speakers :wink:

Looking to pick her up a udac-2 and a pair of nice fullsized can for around the house etc.  udac has to be able to drive them obs and not looking to spend more than like 300 total.  udac-2 is like 129 if I remember?

She's obviously going to be half concerned with what they look like too so maybe keep that in mind or be like "these might fit what youre looking for but theyre kind of horrid looking" haha

Any help is most appreciated everyone <3
If I walk upstairs one more time and my 900s are missing someones getting their throat cut haha
Walt

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Check this out: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536880/review-fashion-vs-function-phiaton-ms400-b-w-p5-monster-beats-solo-v-moda-crossfade-sony-xb700-hd25-1

Appreciate the link.  Shed hate all of those and quite frankly thats an insane amount of reading not to mention the following pages of posts haha.  I really do appreciate you finding it for me.  Just looking for something that might not sound as great right out of the computer but that the udac2 will help out tons with.  Maybe Ill pick up the akg 701s and let her use the 900s for a while haha?  Dont think the udac2 has a shot at driving the 701s, am I correct or only half correct? 

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Appreciate the link.  Shed hate all of those and quite frankly thats an insane amount of reading not to mention the following pages of posts haha.  I really do appreciate you finding it for me.  Just looking for something that might not sound as great right out of the computer but that the udac2 will help out tons with.  Maybe Ill pick up the akg 701s and let her use the 900s for a while haha?  Dont think the udac2 has a shot at driving the 701s, am I correct or only half correct? 

... at least look at the scoring if you're lazy enough not to read.
And please be a little more clear. Do you want headphones for yourself or your sister? You seem somewhat unsure.

Why don't you tell us what kind of genre or what kind of sound your sister likes as well?

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Oh, forgive me for providing you with that link. I thought she might be concerned with appearance, which is why I linked you to that review. Most of the headphones in their were "relatively fashionable", all capable of nice sound. And of course, I didn't expect you to read all of it, just skim through the sections that appealed to you most. And also to take a look at the headphones mentioned in hopes of finding something you might of found suitable.

Oh? So I guess this means you'll be getting a new headphone for yourself, as you let her use your Pro 900?

What do you mean by driving? Do you mean volume wise, or "up to potential" wise? It definitely won't get it up to potential wise, but volume it would be perfectly fine. I used to drive my K701 straight out of my MP3 player, with volume to spare. But if you do get it, don't worry about the *need* to have it run at it's potential, because to do that, you'll need to spend lots on equipment. There are *plenty* of users that appreciate it with minimal gear -- as with many other headphones.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 8
the 701s need some significant amp power and if I remember correctly..been a while since I last listened to them..they were more on the analytical side
ath m50 is a popular closed phone but I heard they don't benefit much from amping but if u dont have a good sound card the DAC cleans up the sound well with anything basically 

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Oh, forgive me for providing you with that link. I thought she might be concerned with appearance, which is why I linked you to that review. Most of the headphones in their were "relatively fashionable", all capable of nice sound. And of course, I didn't expect you to read all of it, just skim through the sections that appealed to you most. And also to take a look at the headphones mentioned in hopes of finding something you might of found suitable.

Oh? So I guess this means you'll be getting a new headphone for yourself, as you let her use your Pro 900?

What do you mean by driving? Do you mean volume wise, or "up to potential" wise? It definitely won't get it up to potential wise, but volume it would be perfectly fine. I used to drive my K701 straight out of my MP3 player, with volume to spare. But if you do get it, don't worry about the *need* to have it run at it's potential, because to do that, you'll need to spend lots on equipment. There are *plenty* of users that appreciate it with minimal gear -- as with many other headphones.

Read my mind word for word.

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:

Maybe I didnt mean to sound the way I sounded, I apologize.  I did skim and I did see the scoring.  Maybe a question better asked would be what would "you" (everyone) get your sister?  Shes not into audo much remember just trying to give her a good sound ya know?  Shes my sister so I dont mind spending a little bit of money.  Ill take another look at the link tomorrow when my eyes stop bleeding lol.  

And by driving I meant not volume wise but up to potential.  And not full potential obviously but "slightly acceptable? lol"  Id read that they took a bit of power to bring up to speed.  My 900s are not hard to get up there at all but plug them into an ipod and you just wish there was something bigger in between ... but thats what she said :wink: ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back