Headphones for playing guitar and listening metal
Oct 21, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #16 of 30

Quote:
At the beginning I thought I need a closed headphone but now I don't think that anymore. I can't imagine that I disturb my roommates and neighbours with an open headphone when my door is closed. So please tell me your suggestions for open headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, open headphones are not exactly speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Grados are very expensive on this side of pond indeed, but you can strike some very good deals on used market. Thats how I have gotten all my Grados minus HF2. Or Alessandro serie is pretty much made for guitar related stuff. Warranty is a problem indeed, but factory lemons are not terribly common but its still a risk. I cant think of other headphone in your price range ATM. Sony SA5000 is lovely on guitars, but is also very pricy around here. DT880 is good but bit flat for generally rocking out. I dont particularly care for DT990. Slight bassboost compared to DT880 is welcome, but pronouncing the already spiky treble of DT880 is a mistake. Way too piercing to my ears.

Oct 23, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #18 of 30
MS1i's are Grado's upgraded by Alessandro. They are simular to the Grado sr125i's.
Grado is a Guitar Co. I have the Ms1i's and listen to metal, (Sepultura, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera), and im sure you wont be disappointed.

Oct 23, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #21 of 30

Quote:
Yeah, but unfortunatey I'm from Germany. If warranty is no problem for people outside of the US, I would surely buy the MS1.

I am in Australia, and Im sure my warranty is valid... buy them from a respected outlet and you should be right...

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #23 of 30
Grado dealer in Germany: Active Audio Vertrieb GmbH   49 0 911 880 330

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #24 of 30
just go for the Sony MDR-V6, they are around 60-80$ and are beastly for metal and rock, and the fact that they seal like some one super glued an airtight sound proof chamber to your head they are great fro playing guitar and listening to audio playback.

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #25 of 30
I've used HFI-780 for metal and practicing guitar playing. Works nicely while listening metal and they are fairly good for practicing. I would prefer a neutral phone while playing. The headphone outs on guitar amps always suck and that is a fact. They are 'speaker emulated' so they don't sound same as your combo. I've learned this on other forums. At least this is what happens on my Vox VT30. I got shure SRH-440 for my wife for playing keyboard and they are quite nice with the guitar also. They are more neutral than 780. Also they are quite cheap in thomann. My suggestion is SRH-440 or SRH-840 which is supposed to be the upgraded version of 440's.

And for addition I also got the grado sr225i used a week a go and they are the best of my headphones for both playing and listening. They are open but they bleed very little noise IMO. Problem is that I can hear the TV and radio through them.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #26 of 30

Quote:
I am in Australia, and Im sure my warranty is valid... buy them from a respected outlet and you should be right...

What are you going to do with them...play football?

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #27 of 30
Go the MS1 mate

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #28 of 30
Double post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back