Headphones for playing guitar and listening metal
Oct 9, 2010 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

kais0r

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm looking for headphone which I can use for practicing electric guitar. I'm currently have a small Marshall combo (which sounds crappy anyway...) but I think it will soon be replaced by a better amplifier.
wink.gif
I don't want to disturb my roommates and neighbours so I need a headphone. I would be cool if there is a headphone which I can use for both, playing/praciting electric guitar and listening tomusic via PC. I mainly listen to metal (thrash, speed, heavy...) and hard rock, that's also the type of music I'm praciticing.
So are there any good headphones for me? I've heard there are some good audio technica, AKG, sennheiser, grado etc. but I don't know if they are good for my musical direction. Price should be around 200-220 $.

Thank you.
Regards

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 30
Thank you for your reply.
Do you know how long the wire of the DT770 is? For praciting guitar, it should not be too short...

I've also read that Grados are very good for metal, but some people say they are not very comfortable and that's bad when I'm playing guitar. And what about the other 3 brands audio technica, AKG and Sennheiser? I don't know what's important for a headphone which I'm going to use with my guitar amp.

Oh yeah, I also want to use the headphones for games, but it's not that important.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 30
Using headphones doesn't mean you won't disturb people around you, you need a closed headphone if you want to keep your music to yourself, this excludes all Grados. From what I've heard about the DT770, they're too slow for metal. AKG aren't suited to metal either from what I've heard. I can't comment on ATs because I've never heard any, and I've only ever listened to low-end Sennheisers though a lot of people recommend the HD-25 for metal (and they're closed cans too so you wouldn't disturb your room mates with them so they might be worth looking in to). The Ultrasone HFI-580/780 also seem to have a good reputation for being good with metal but, again, I haven't heard them. They also have something called S-Logic which is supposed to provide a surround sound effect it seems to be a love/hate thing.

Unfortunately due to my limited experience with headphones, I can't be of a lot of help, all I can tell you is what I've read on this forum. Try using the search feature, I'm sure you'll find an answer to your question there.

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 30
Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, it seems to be a tough decision. I think I just order one and test it. Unfortunately, I don't have an option to test some headphones.
But I have read in another thread, that Sennheiser and metal is not a good match.
I don't listen music / play guitar very loud, so maybe I don't necessarily need a closed headphone, or what do you think?

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 30
I can't really comment on how much open headphones leak since it's largely dependant upon the particular headphone, but I would imagine that playing at low volumes wouldn't be too much of a problem. Just consider that your room mates would be able to hear what you're listening to and you'd be able to hear them so they might not be best suited for your needs.

And the Sennheiser HD25-1 II have a more aggressive and up front presentation than other Sennheisers which is why they're said to be good with metal.

This article should help you out:
http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

Quote:
Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, it seems to be a tough decision. I think I just order one and test it. Unfortunately, I don't have an option to test some headphones.
But I have read in another thread, that Sennheiser and metal is not a good match.
I don't listen music / play guitar very loud, so maybe I don't necessarily need a closed headphone, or what do you think?

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 30
Ok, thanks.
So far they are my favourite. Do you know how long the wire of the HD25-1 is?
Does someone else has any other suggestions?
wink.gif

I would say the most important point is that the headphones are very good for listening to metal music. That's the main purpose.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 30
The cable on mine is 1.47m or just under 5ft long.
I think they are great for metal, rock, dance and hip-hop.

Ok, thanks.

So far they are my favourite. Do you know how long the wire of the HD25-1 is?

Does someone else has any other suggestions?
wink.gif

I would say the most important point is that the headphones are very good for listening to metal music. That's the main purpose.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 30
1,50 m should be okay I think, but a bit more would be better.
I don't think that I need closed headphones, as there are walls between me and my roommates.
wink.gif
So open headphones should be okay, too or what do you think? Really can't imagine they are able to hear it in their rooms...
What about the HFI 780, ATH M50 and Grados compared to the HD25-1?

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 30
I don't have much knowledge of open headphones in your price range, the only ones I have been using are the AKG K240 Studio, which I think are pretty good, light and comfortable to wear, can be used direct with an iPod, but better with an amp. I hope someone else here can give you more advice. Good luck. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
1,50 m should be okay I think, but a bit more would be better.
I don't think that I need closed headphones, as there are walls between me and my roommates.
wink.gif
So open headphones should be okay, too or what do you think? Really can't imagine they are able to hear it in their rooms...
What about the HFI 780, ATH M50 and Grados compared to the HD25-1?

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 30
I use my DJ1 ( HFI-580 but with different cosmetics and coiled cord) for both guitar and listening to music, I listen to a fair bit of metal and they do it very well. Metal out of these is an intense experience, as it should be and not a painful one as it is from so many sets of cans.

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #12 of 30
So far the HD25-1 is my favourite, but I've read they have a limited soundstage. As far as I've unterstood that's a normal thing for closed headphones, but I don't think I necessarily need a closed one, so maybe there are better phones for me.
Another favourite would be the MS1. Problem is that I'm from Germany and if the MS1 will break I have a problem or is the warranty service also very good for customers outside of the US? And I don't know how long the cord is.
wink.gif

Grados are unfortunately too expensive over here.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Usually when people say that Sennheisers are not good for metal, they are talking about Sennheisers which have a rather laidback sound (like PX100 and HD650). And they are correct, they are not exactly most energic headphones out there and they do not give distorted guitars the bite they need.

Since you need closed headphones, I cannot help you really. I have not heard a good closed metal headphone yet. Ultrasone Proline 750 (or PRO750 as it is called now) are closest, but not perfect as lower midrange is bit hollow. They do have a nice edge in upper midrange though, gives a good bite to guitars. Might be perfect for your guitar practising needs. Also their bass is fantastic for casual listening. It reaches incredibly low and hits hard, yet is quite defined. Much tighter than DT770 anyway.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 30
At the beginning I thought I need a closed headphone but now I don't think that anymore. I can't imagine that I disturb my roommates and neighbours with an open headphone when my door is closed. So please tell me your suggestions for open headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #15 of 30
Sony MDR-V6, closed cans and are mind blowing for clarity and highs, with intense bass great for metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back