Headphones for Old Songs
Jul 16, 2011 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ccaian

New Head-Fier
What pair of headphones would suit these songs?

Around 200$

Johnny B Goode

You Give Love a Bad Name

Paradise City

Bohemian Rhapsody

Final Countdown

Stairway to heaven

Imagine

Immigrant song

All of those songs i have are about 1000kbps (Bohemian Rhapsody is 7700kbps) FLAC

Thanks, just wanted to know so maybe in the future i might get a pair like that.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 7
You'll want Grados, they're the best for rock. The SR-225 would be a great fit. So would the SR-60 if you want to try a less expensive one first.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 7
The SR225 no doubt, excellent for rock, quite good for jazz and ambient music such as Tears for Fears, Peter Gabriel, Sting etc. I owned a pair of 225s for at least three years and grew to really appreciate them.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 7
While the SR225's are undoubtedly great headphones and some of my favorite in the grado line, I personally think grado's forward sound signature would make older music, especially 50's and 60's sound harsh. I noticed oftentimes the treble is quite "hot" on older recordings, especially Etta James and the like. I would recommend a darker sounding headphone, such as a Sennheiser HD600 (used), HD580 if you can find a pair. However, with both of these a headphone amp is a must.. The SRH840 from Shure is also really smooth and semi-dark sounding which would tame that treble and a positive about them is that they don't require a headphone amp to sound great.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 7
I really like the K601's for poorly mastered music. They are a little mellow in the highs, so faults don't stand out quite as much, while the mid range still remains nice.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 7
I really like the K601's for poorly mastered music. They are a little mellow in the highs, so faults don't stand out quite as much, while the mid range still remains nice.

I completely agree. The K601's are lovely headphones with a very very smooth treble and clear, dry midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back