Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 30, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #12,106 of 12,302
been listening to some heavy metal/Power metal and hard rock with my meze 109
and i think they sound fantastic. maybe it is not the soundsignature a metal head wants but for mit sounds clean and live like
I have the meze 99 classic, it's not the best but they are enjoyable.

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #12,107 of 12,302
I would like to add that Arya Organics do very well with metal music. They’ve been my daily driver ever since I got them a couple weeks ago. Fantastic detail and air but also much more dynamics and slam than any of the previous Aryas.
How's the bass and sub-bass? Is it there? A lot of people have complained that they are too bright. I was set on them until I saw some feedback regarding the HE1000 Stealth.

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #12,108 of 12,302
I would like to add that Arya Organics do very well with metal music. They’ve been my daily driver ever since I got them a couple weeks ago. Fantastic detail and air but also much more dynamics and slam than any of the previous Aryas.

I find Arya too laid back and really lacking in bass. at that price range LCD-X is the better choice, and maybe there are others.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #12,109 of 12,302
I reach for my custom grado for metal (turbulent X driver) over my Arya Stealth, HD800S and TH610... but they all offer something different. I just feel like grado with guitars are special, and the more intimate stage is more to my liking for metal. I don't need bass cannons for metal, but TH610 are very fun while remaining a bit more neutral for a fostex sound. Plus, it's so easy to pad-roll grado's to get quite different sounds.

Not sure I'd go Focal again, had the Elex once... nice, but felt muted and not lively enough for metal, and creaky AF headband.
Heard good things about the LCD-2C over the LCD-X for metal, might be one to try next.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #12,110 of 12,302
Not heard the Elex but demoed the Elegia at one point, didn't like the sound. The Clears are good though, not heard other Focals. I owned a pair of Anandas for several years, liked them a lot, but personally for metal I like a bit more "weight" to the sound, best headphone so far has been the Auteurs. I'll get to compare with the Atriums soon. Still haven't tried any Audezes though I really should.

Dec 28, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #12,111 of 12,302
Jan 3, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #12,112 of 12,302
Agree. With a little EQ they are good for metal.
What Eq do you use for the meze 99, can you share with me, I use the Walkman W1ma and W1ma2 daps.

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #12,114 of 12,302
What's the best TOTL for metal? anyone has an opinion?

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #12,116 of 12,302

I disagree, while technically very good with best bass within headphones it's timbre is not very natural. If well recorded metal music I think even grados or zmf atrium would be a far better fit.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #12,117 of 12,302
I disagree, while technically very good with best bass within headphones it's timbre is not very natural. If well recorded metal music I think even grados or zmf atrium would be a far better fit.
LOL, ok. Grados is crap in metal, thin sound and lean.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #12,118 of 12,302
What's the best TOTL for metal? anyone has an opinion?
I guess it depends on your taste but personally I have really enjoyed Caldera or Verite Closed for metal music etc. Other options I’ve heard that are good are Abyss MR, 1266 TC, LCD-4 or LCD-5.

Some have mentioned TH900 but that was too v-shaped for me.

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #12,119 of 12,302

I'm right there with you! Can't stand headphones with that unnatural timbre like the TC. Nope! And seriously, strapping that thing on your head? I respect people who enjoy the TC, but these headphones just aren't for me. I'm sticking exclusively to my ZMF Atrium and Grado GH1 for Rock and Metal. Honestly, I don't feel the need for anything else!

If Grado doesn't work for Metal in your opinion, that's cool it's a subjective hobby. No need to be condescending about it, we all have our preferences!

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #12,120 of 12,302

Timbre on Grados is good though, on top of that they have very lively presentation for metal genre. I know few metal-heads who buy Grados specifically for this genre. Treble sensitive folks may look into ZMF lineup, but most of metal-heads are slightly crazy by nature so grados should perfectly fit them. I wouldn't even recommend Utopia, not to mention TC1266.

TC1266 with edm, pop, rnb is unbeatable...metal, jazz you'll better look elsewhere. If it's top tier it doesn't mean it's best in all genres

Users who are viewing this thread

Back