Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 6, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #12,091 of 12,302
I am interested in one of those as well but after reading this: https://www.headphonecheck.com/test/denon-ah-d5200/

Especially this part here: "Similar to its little brother, the AH-D5200’s mids are also extremely transparent and rich in detail. However, due to the contouring of its frequency response, it is also less suitable for rock and metal productions. Guitar sounds move into the foreground far too much for my listening taste, which affects the overall perception of vocals and speech intelligibility. Apart from this point, the headphones inspire with a great dynamic, an impressive transient reproduction and a wide stereo field. All these aspects are especially important when it comes to listening to classical music." it seems to be the case that they are more like Sennheisers which are focussing on the midrange. So if you're listening to something with a lot of vocals and accoustic guitars in it they are probably good but not for harder music.

Also I often read about people saying that the AH-D5200 is in general the better headphone compared to the AH-D7200 because the 7200 has a bit of a wonky tuning.
Reading the frequency response graph they seem not as coloured as it's beeing said from other people.

I don't know man but with this kind of music (which I also love) it is really hard finding good headphones within a budget.
I think something like the Fostex TH 909 or Fostex TH 900 MK2 might be really good for Metal but it's also expensive as hell...
I confirme, TH900 MK2 is a monster for metal, I enjoy it everyday.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #12,092 of 12,302
Has anyone tried the Abyss MR and have thoughts on how it would be for metalcore etc?

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #12,093 of 12,302
Has anyone tried the Abyss MR and have thoughts on how it would be for metalcore etc?
No idea about the new MR. But I had the older Diana and I didn't like it. The comfort and fit was bad, it was too expensive and the sound was basically like a planar Focal Clear. So the sound was decent, but not worth it for its price. As far as Abyss goes, it's 1266 or don't bother IMO.

Nov 23, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #12,094 of 12,302
For me the journey is now over. So long, friends.
20231123_144814.jpg

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #12,095 of 12,302
Hello all, I am in need of help :)
I decided to up myself to a ~1000e range. I have narrowed it down and want to use the cyber Monday discounts to finally make a purchase.
Currently have 177x Go and DT5200.
I listen to heavy/power metal mostly.

The list I have access to and are surprisingly within a similar price are:

LCD-2 classic - 800e
Meze 109 - 820e
LCD-X -1000e
Focal clear (all versions OG/MG/pro) 1000e
HD800s 1100e

I would appreciate any help on this :/
Also open for other suggestions, except Hifiman. For their bad QC and dumb return policy reasons where I live, Hifiman isnt an option sadly...

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #12,096 of 12,302
I decided to up
LCD-2 classic - 800e
Meze 109 - 820e
LCD-X -1000e
HD800s 1100e
From your list, I would pick either the Focal Clear OG or LCD-X maybe. Also look into a used Fostex TH900 or E-MU Teak. I haven't heard the 109 though.

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #12,097 of 12,302
I decided to up myself to a ~1000e range. I have narrowed it down and want to use the cyber Monday discounts to finally make a purchase.
Currently have 177x Go and DT5200.
I listen to heavy/power metal mostly.

The list I have access to and are surprisingly within a similar price are:

LCD-2 classic - 800e
Meze 109 - 820e
LCD-X -1000e
HD800s 1100e

I would appreciate any help on this :/
Also open for other suggestions, except Hifiman. For their bad QC and dumb return policy reasons where I live, Hifiman isnt an option sadly...
Depends on what you're after in terms of sound presentation. From that list, my choice would be the Clear MG, as I like a slightly dark and warm signature.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #12,098 of 12,302
From your list, I would pick either the Focal Clear OG or LCD-X maybe. Also look into a used Fostex TH900 or E-MU Teak. I haven't heard the 109 though.
I second these suggestions!

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #12,099 of 12,302
I am interested in one of those as well but after reading this: https://www.headphonecheck.com/test/denon-ah-d5200/

Especially this part here: "Similar to its little brother, the AH-D5200’s mids are also extremely transparent and rich in detail. However, due to the contouring of its frequency response, it is also less suitable for rock and metal productions. Guitar sounds move into the foreground far too much for my listening taste, which affects the overall perception of vocals and speech intelligibility. Apart from this point, the headphones inspire with a great dynamic, an impressive transient reproduction and a wide stereo field. All these aspects are especially important when it comes to listening to classical music." it seems to be the case that they are more like Sennheisers which are focussing on the midrange. So if you're listening to something with a lot of vocals and accoustic guitars in it they are probably good but not for harder music.

Also I often read about people saying that the AH-D5200 is in general the better headphone compared to the AH-D7200 because the 7200 has a bit of a wonky tuning.
Reading the frequency response graph they seem not as coloured as it's beeing said from other people.

I don't know man but with this kind of music (which I also love) it is really hard finding good headphones within a budget.
I think something like the Fostex TH 909 or Fostex TH 900 MK2 might be really good for Metal but it's also expensive as hell...
I can also confirm the TH900 sound great for metal, i have the MK1. You might be able to find some used if you don't mind shopping second hand. Only difference between the them is the detachable cable on the reds. I believe the purple, blue and white MK2 models have the anniversary tuning.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #12,100 of 12,302
Ah crap, I'm stupid, forgot to say I am looking for something open >.<.
TH900 even used is expensive, but I have them on my radar.

Depends on what you're after in terms of sound presentation. From that list, my choice would be the Clear MG, as I like a slightly dark and warm signature.
Ill try my best, to explain as I am not too technical, but here it goes.

I am looking for something open that has bass, is on the warmer side (I find trebble exhausting), has wider soundstage than my 177x, and has comfort for long wearing, as a daily headphone. Does this help?

A bit of an update:

Just tried LCDs, both of them, they are... heavy on the head lol. Felt like wearing a helmet. Does this go away?
Sennheisers 800s have a weird fit since I wear glasses. Its pressing in a really uncomfortable way.

Focal feels more plastic-y and fragile than others. Liked MG more than OG so far, has more bass and sub I think.

Cant find Meze in stores to try out :frowning2:

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #12,101 of 12,302
Ah crap, I'm stupid, forgot to say I am looking for something open >.<.
TH900 even used is expensive, but I have them on my radar.

Ill try my best, to explain as I am not too technical, but here it goes.

I am looking for something open that has bass, is on the warmer side (I find trebble exhausting), has wider soundstage than my 177x, and has comfort for long wearing, as a daily headphone. Does this help?

A bit of an update:

Just tried LCDs, both of them, they are... heavy on the head lol. Felt like wearing a helmet. Does this go away?
Sennheisers 800s have a weird fit since I wear glasses. Its pressing in a really uncomfortable way.

Focal feels more plastic-y and fragile than others. Liked MG more than OG so far, has more bass and sub I think.

Cant find Meze in stores to try out :frowning2:
Open, warm, bassy, light on the head?

Look into a JM Audio XTC open.

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #12,102 of 12,302
I really like an EQ'd LCD-X for a lot of metal. It's fast, the drivers are low distortion, weighty and detailed. Pretty neutral at stock. A small low shelf at 100Hz and bump up ~3.5KHz by a few dB if needed.

Completely agree on the LCD-X (2021). I think my Lyr 3 might be holding them back a bit in the bass department (a bit pillow-y in the bass with regards to impact, genre-dependent). How would you say your other headphones compare with metal - particularly the ZMF Atrium, Fostex TH900, and Sennheiser HD650?

Nov 30, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #12,103 of 12,302
Completely agree on the LCD-X (2021). I think my Lyr 3 might be holding them back a bit in the bass department (a bit pillow-y in the bass with regards to impact, genre-dependent). How would you say your other headphones compare with metal - particularly the ZMF Atrium, Fostex TH900, and Sennheiser HD650?

Atrium is a different beast. It's warmer and darker sounding, bassier and more spacious. The tonality is more natural than LCD-X. It's also more forgiving with poorer recordings. The midrange is among the best I've heard especially drums and guitars, but could be too forward for some. LCD-X is faster being a planar and might be overall more detailed.

TH900 is very bass heavy and punchy, but the midrange is relatively thin sounding. They're also very bright so metal can get fatiguing after a while. Certainly fun though.

Nov 30, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #12,104 of 12,302
Atrium is a different beast. It's warmer and darker sounding, bassier and more spacious. The tonality is more natural than LCD-X. It's also more forgiving with poorer recordings. The midrange is among the best I've heard especially drums and guitars, but could be too forward for some. LCD-X is faster being a planar and might be overall more detailed.

TH900 is very bass heavy and punchy, but the midrange is relatively thin sounding. They're also very bright so metal can get fatiguing after a while. Certainly fun though.
This makes me want to try a set of Atrium's. As much as i love my TH900, they can sound thin at times. Luckily EQ helps.

Nov 30, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #12,105 of 12,302
been listening to some heavy metal/Power metal and hard rock with my meze 109
and i think they sound fantastic. maybe it is not the soundsignature a metal head wants but for mit sounds clean and live like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back