Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 31, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #12,061 of 12,322
I would like to add that Arya Organics do very well with metal music. They’ve been my daily driver ever since I got them a couple weeks ago. Fantastic detail and air but also much more dynamics and slam than any of the previous Aryas.

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #12,062 of 12,322

hi, i'm currently using grado rs2e for metal music (I have hifiman arya se too but for metal music the highs are too much and squeaky, i listen jazz and fusion mostly with it), do you think it's worth upgrading to audeze lcd-x or focal clear mg? If yes, which would you recommend? I listen mostly in a progressive (dream theater, tool, etc.) style.​

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #12,063 of 12,322
Ananda Nano works well with metal. Overly analytic headphones sound horrible with blast beats or something like high treble black metal but these do well with their detail, separation, dynamics and fast response. Some people say these have a mid bass emphasis over other planar headphones (these are my first pair of planars) but I was using closed backs with even higher mid bass emphasis than these so I don't know if this helps them sound punchier for metal than other planars.

Sep 7, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #12,064 of 12,322
What is the best combination of headphones and dap sony wm1am2 for metal

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #12,065 of 12,322
Been reading this thread and a lot of info for sure. My question is somewhat specific.

I am currently using Monolith M565C cans with a Monolith THX headphone amp. All are using balanced cables and input/outputs. My USB-DAC is a Cayin RU7. Streaming hi-res audio from Qobuz.

I listen to just about all genre's of music and my setup is great for classical, jazz, r&b, soul, etc. The problem I have is with my go-to genres of music, Rock and Metal. The bass is lacking and the highs aren't as natural as I'd like.

What do you guys recommend for Rock/Metal in the sub $500 range? I'm leaning towards The Hifiman Sundara Closed Back Planars but haven't heard them yet. I'm an admitted bass head but when it comes to hi-fi I want good all around reproduction in all frequencies.

Would I be better off with IEM's? I've never owned a pair so I have nothing to compare them with.

I should say I have Grado SR80's and after hearing my Monolith's they sound awful to me. So I guess I'm looking for something NOT Grado.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #12,066 of 12,322
Been reading this thread and a lot of info for sure. My question is somewhat specific.

I am currently using Monolith M565C cans with a Monolith THX headphone amp. All are using balanced cables and input/outputs. My USB-DAC is a Cayin RU7. Streaming hi-res audio from Qobuz.

I listen to just about all genre's of music and my setup is great for classical, jazz, r&b, soul, etc. The problem I have is with my go-to genres of music, Rock and Metal. The bass is lacking and the highs aren't as natural as I'd like.

What do you guys recommend for Rock/Metal in the sub $500 range? I'm leaning towards The Hifiman Sundara Closed Back Planars but haven't heard them yet. I'm an admitted bass head but when it comes to hi-fi I want good all around reproduction in all frequencies.

Would I be better off with IEM's? I've never owned a pair so I have nothing to compare them with.

I should say I have Grade SR80's and after hearing my Monolith's they sound awful to me. So I guess I'm looking for something NOT Grado.

Thanks
E-MU Teak.

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #12,067 of 12,322

I should say I have Grade SR80's and after hearing my Monolith's they sound awful to me. So I guess I'm looking for something NOT Grado.

Thanks
Ibasso SR3 👍

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #12,069 of 12,322
I heard both recently. SR3 is ok, certainly quite warm and smooth. But I'd take the Teak at that price point. Especially if you are a 'bass-head'.
Need to install the additional spare pads with larger perforations. I also believe that the SR2 / 3 have much better bass than the Teaks in both quantity and quality.

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #12,070 of 12,322
Need to install the additional spare pads with larger perforations. I also believe that the SR2 / 3 have much better bass than the Teaks in both quantity and quality.
Hmmm going to have to agree to disagree there, although I thought they were quite decent definitely.

Sep 8, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #12,071 of 12,322
Has anyone tried that controversial closed Hifiman HE-R10 Dynamic Version for metal?
It was originally 1300 and now they have dropped it to 600 and open boxes for 400. Just seems dirt cheap and people never complained too much about its sound quality for that original 1300 prize, just the patent stuff and its cheap built.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #12,072 of 12,322
I really like an EQ'd LCD-X for a lot of metal. It's fast, the drivers are low distortion, weighty and detailed. Pretty neutral at stock. A small low shelf at 100Hz and bump up ~3.5KHz by a few dB if needed.

Sep 9, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #12,074 of 12,322
Really digging my Kennerton Vali Neoteric (2nd generation). Stock pads with some mods performed by JM... Fractal Mesh I believe, something like that anyways. Running them from my Shanling M8 balanced. My favorite headphone and pairing thus far in my never ending journey. Took a slight bit of EQ work, but wow do they ever sing with metal. Even sounds fantastic with most of my poorly recorded rare 80s metal that I love listening to.
Trans Am - Fasten Seat Belts
Slave Raider - What do you know about rock n roll
Heavens Edge
Dirty Looks
And many more!!!

Sep 10, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #12,075 of 12,322
Really enjoy Beyerdynamics T5p (2nd gen) with Dekoni Pads (comfort) and this EQ. Punchy, detailed, great soundstage, dynamic- sounds great :). Tested all kinds of metal (specially Melodeath, Metalcore, Death, Trash) The Fostex Th610 is also not bad imo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230910-135029.png
    Screenshot_20230910-135029.png
    160.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back