Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 8, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #12,046 of 12,302
Easily. Way better than Empyrean. Swapped to my 1266 TC for an hour or so and then quickly swapped back. There's your answer.
Which driver did you get?

Aug 9, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #12,049 of 12,302
I was just on Facebook and saw an ad for the “Heavys”.

I thought “Great, another gimmicky headphone. These ones claim to be for metal. I’ll bet they’re the same garbage as RayCons and Skullcandy and old style Beats and all those other lifestyle brands that sound terrible.”

But out of sheer curiosity, I clicked the link, only to be greeted with the name “Axel Grell”.

Umm, what? Does that mean these actually sound good?

Aug 9, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #12,052 of 12,302
Good headphones, but they have a treble peak and are overpriced. There's better for sure. I prefer the TH900 over them, for example. A used ZMF Verite Closed too.
I've been using the Sony MDR-Z1R for nearly a year at this point and do agree that they have a harsh treble at times. I must have adjusted to the tuning, because I don't find that the treble bothers me as much -- I've also noticed an improvement since I switched from the stock cable (4.4 pentacon) to a Norne Audio Drausk v2 (4-pin XLR).

I do absolutely love the bass response. I also love the overall build. I own a set of the TH900 but the v-shape was too obvious to me.

What are your thoughts on Meze headphones for metal? I really want to try out their line-up at some point.

Overall, I still find Audeze headphones to do it for me in terms of metal music. I've been eyeing the MM-500...

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #12,053 of 12,302
Absolutely zero regrets with the purchase, my main thing is to say that these need a moment to come to grips with what their design philosophy is as well as their price point and then just listen and listen and they get fun as hell. I'm listening to Dio, Sabaton, Maiden, and Judas Priest right now and damn these all make me want to get up and party haha
I got mine as well today.
For the Kickstarter early bird price and as a secondary fun headphone I'm happy with them as well. For the full retail price and my primary headphones I wouldn't buy them.
I reduced the bass a bit and then they sound quite well, otherwise the bass bleeds a bit into the mids.
Would love for someone to measure them so that we can EQ them properly.

I find the voice to be a bit useless and way too loud. Especially when you switch them off it prompts you twice.

Aug 25, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #12,055 of 12,302
Hello, I would like to read some user opinions about the sinergy of HifiMan's HE6SE (V1, not V2) with Metal music. I previously owned a used pair of these headphones, which I bought for a good price. At first I found them to be pleasant and engaging overall with a variety of genres, but I ended up selling them because listening to quite a few Metal records - Gorguts and Ulcerate in particular, that are among my favorite bands - turned up to be almost atrocious to my ears. The guitars especially sounded overly harsh and somewhat "piercing" - a timbre character that I noticed also in some non-Metal tracks, like "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes, just to name one. This made me quite a bit confused as I have never found a review of the HE6SE - and I have read many - where their sound signature is described as harsh, glaring or fatiguing, with tonal correctness being instead one of their distinctive traits. And I have also read reviewers recommending the HE6SE for Metal. I have powerful amps (IFI Diablo and Violectric V281), so no trouble with driving insensitive planars properly. Perhaps I was given a faulty unit? After I purchased those headphones, I discovered I was their third owner already...

Aug 26, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #12,056 of 12,302
Hello, I would like to read some user opinions about the sinergy of HifiMan's HE6SE (V1, not V2) with Metal music. I previously owned a used pair of these headphones, which I bought for a good price. At first I found them to be pleasant and engaging overall with a variety of genres, but I ended up selling them because listening to quite a few Metal records - Gorguts and Ulcerate in particular, that are among my favorite bands - turned up to be almost atrocious to my ears. The guitars especially sounded overly harsh and somewhat "piercing" - a timbre character that I noticed also in some non-Metal tracks, like "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes, just to name one. This made me quite a bit confused as I have never found a review of the HE6SE - and I have read many - where their sound signature is described as harsh, glaring or fatiguing, with tonal correctness being instead one of their distinctive traits. And I have also read reviewers recommending the HE6SE for Metal. I have powerful amps (IFI Diablo and Violectric V281), so no trouble with driving insensitive planars properly. Perhaps I was given a faulty unit? After I purchased those headphones, I discovered I was their third owner already...
I downloaded two flac versions of "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes and that is one poorly recorded album. I couldn't listen to the whole album at loud volume without worrying about my ears.

I have all the early Yes albums and none of them are great recordings. But they aren't bad. "Yes 90125" falls into the category of a bad recording IMHO.

Aug 26, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #12,057 of 12,302
I do not have a large metal library (got redirected here from the HE6 threat) but a good testing album is "Archspire - Bleed the Future" as it will put your gear through all of it's paces. It is very fast and hard hitting with a good recording. I have a high res version which is nice to get your hands onto also.

Bleed the Future can be listened at high volumes all the way through without "bleeding your ears". It is also very layered. And the low frequency is solid.

I'm sure there are many recommendations in this thread for great albums to test your system with.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #12,058 of 12,302
JM Audio XTC and if you want to go crazy with it Meze Elite are fantastic.

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #12,059 of 12,302
I do not have a large metal library (got redirected here from the HE6 threat) but a good testing album is "Archspire - Bleed the Future" as it will put your gear through all of it's paces. It is very fast and hard hitting with a good recording. I have a high res version which is nice to get your hands onto also.

Bleed the Future can be listened at high volumes all the way through without "bleeding your ears". It is also very layered. And the low frequency is solid.

I'm sure there are many recommendations in this thread for great albums to test your system with.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. As per "90125" by Yes, I have read people praising its recording quality so I'm not sure - even though I tend to side with those people.
I know Archspire and, even though I agree that "Bleed the Future" is quite a well layered album, however I do also find it a bit too much "compressed" and the instruments may sound congested and somewhat artificial at times - in my experience only "analytical" headphones such as the HD800S or T1 (and also the DT 700 Pro X, even though by a lower extent) have been able to keep the pace with that album, that I agree to be quite demanding due to its peculiar production. Unfortunately I do not remember quite well how "Bleed the Future" sounded via the HE6SE, but if I am not wrong they were not able enough to resolve properly all that compressed layering, giving me that typically harsh listening experience. Maybe I just don't like the HFM tuning - before the HE6SE I sold a Sundara for similar reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back