Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 27, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #11,896 of 12,302
I am also interested in the headphones you mentioned above.

Actually I have an Edition XS but i couldn't hear it because a dac and amp is actually missing. I will use it for movies, rock and metal. Do you think it is a good choice.

Maybe I want to have a dynamic headphone, too to have both technics.

I testet the TH-610 but I used the D5000 more because it was more fun to listen to. The 610 was a bit peaky. I think it could work with warmer amps better than Topping for instance? Because of that reason I used the 5000. I think the Emu Teak is more like the 5000 than the 610? Would you describe the teak as better?

The second headphone which I am interested in is the Elear. So actually I have the XS. Which of them would you choose as a second headphone for these genres? The Teak or the Elear?

If you want a good contrast for the XS I'd go for the TH-X00 if you can find a pair. I have the XS, TH610 and TH-X00 and to me, those are the most fun metal cans I own. Haven't heard the D5000 though. Didn't like the Elex with metal and not sure I'd buy another focal personally.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #11,898 of 12,302
I havent spent much time with Utopia,so no help there.

ZMF=warm,not too unlike Audeze or HD650 sound,just much better IMO.

The Stellia does have a bit of a metallic sound to it,but apparently not as much as Utopia from what Ive read. FWIW I am not fond of spikey upper mids or treble,and the Stellia doesnt bother me. YMMV.
Hi @Monsterzero , How would you compare ZMF Atrium open and closed to Focal Stellia?
I heard some good things about the Stellia but it is hard to tell if it's propaganda or honest.
I was thinking about getting companion to my Rognir and I was considering these three HPs.

May 1, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #11,899 of 12,302
Hi @Monsterzero , How would you compare ZMF Atrium open and closed to Focal Stellia?
I heard some good things about the Stellia but it is hard to tell if it's propaganda or honest.
I was thinking about getting companion to my Rognir and I was considering these three HPs.
Hey, man it's been years since I heard the Stellia and I only had it on loan for a week or two, so I really can't recall specifics unfortunately.

As far as the Atriums go, the open version mids are more prominent vs. the closed back version so guitars stand out more. Both hit very hard, but the closed is the apex for bass, both mid and sub-bass. If you're into doom & stoner metal the Atrium closed has to be considered amongst the absolute best headphones for those genres. The sub bass will rattle your teeth!

For my tastes the Atrium open is a better all arounder solution whereas with the Atrium closed, I find myself going for genres where the sub-bass is a featured part of the music which allows the closed to really flex its muscles.

If you're a basshead go for the Atrium closed, which isn't to say that it doesnt do other aspects of the frequencie response well, but that bass is absurdly satisfying. If you prefer a more balanced sound that still has an added dose of midbass, go for the open.

May 1, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #11,900 of 12,302
Hey, man it's been years since I heard the Stellia and I only had it on loan for a week or two, so I really can't recall specifics unfortunately.

As far as the Atriums go, the open version mids are more prominent vs. the closed back version so guitars stand out more. Both hit very hard, but the closed is the apex for bass, both mid and sub-bass. If you're into doom & stoner metal the Atrium closed has to be considered amongst the absolute best headphones for those genres. The sub bass will rattle your teeth!

For my tastes the Atrium open is a better all arounder solution whereas with the Atrium closed, I find myself going for genres where the sub-bass is a featured part of the music which allows the closed to really flex its muscles.

If you're a basshead go for the Atrium closed, which isn't to say that it doesnt do other aspects of the frequencie response well, but that bass is absurdly satisfying. If you prefer a more balanced sound that still has an added dose of midbass, go for the open.
@Monsterzero I wonder about the Stellia, I've heard some good things about it, that it's like the bass version of Utopia.
There's a review here: but you can't make much from these reviews, it's so long and not to the point.

Hearing your describing the AC it is like you are describing the Rognir, I'm not sure if I want another Rognir just from another brand and dynamic, or I want to get the AO so I'll have a counterpart to the Rognir. I already have the D8000, but man.... the Rognir is just so fun I hardly use anything else, they have sick bass, it's amazing.

Aren't all metalheads bassheads in a way?
Do you have a clear preference between AC and AO for Metal?

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #11,901 of 12,302
I already have the D8000, but man.... the Rognir is just so fun I hardly use anything else, they have sick bass, it's amazing.
I've only heard the D8000 briefly out of a Violectric v281 and damn that thing kicks like a mule. How the bass of the D8000 compares to either of the Atriums, I did not do any direct A/Bing.
I have not heard any Kennerton headphone unfortunately.
Well, speaking just for myself, I briefly owned the JVC SZ2000 and the Taction Kannon, two of the top basshead headphones out there, and neither were my cup of tea so I sold them both very quickly. I like bass, but not at the expense of the other frequencies. Like the Campfire Cascade bass stepped all over the midrange, and that's a no-go for me.

Again I feel like the Atrium open is a safer choice for many metal genres vs the closed, but the closed is the clear winner for doom and stoner and is an extremely fun headphone to listen to.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #11,902 of 12,302
@Monsterzero I wonder about the Stellia, I've heard some good things about it, that it's like the bass version of Utopia.
There's a review here: but you can't make much from these reviews, it's so long and not to the point.

Hearing your describing the AC it is like you are describing the Rognir, I'm not sure if I want another Rognir just from another brand and dynamic, or I want to get the AO so I'll have a counterpart to the Rognir. I already have the D8000, but man.... the Rognir is just so fun I hardly use anything else, they have sick bass, it's amazing.

Had the Stellia for about two weeks, but I didn't like it for metal at all. You already have the D8000 Pro, one of the best headphones in the world, especially for metal. The Stellia, and all of those ZMFs you mention are all inferior to the D8000 Pro for metal. The only reason to consider them will be if you listen to genres like Jazz, singer-songwriter, Bluesy stuff. Then, the ZMF Atrium might be worth it as a complimentary headphone. The mid-range is superb on them. The best ZMF for metal is the Verite Closed IMO and I've tried most of them except for the Atrium closed and Caldera.

May 1, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #11,903 of 12,302
I own the LCD-XC, Edition XS, and the Focal Clear OG. They're all great, but the LCD-XC its on another level--makes the guitars growl. Would love to try the VC if I can get a good deal on them.

May 1, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #11,904 of 12,302
The best metal headphones I have heard are the Spirit Torino Twin Pulse Ragnarr Open. Probably any high end set of ZMF would come next. Followed by Utopia.

May 2, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #11,905 of 12,302
So as a contrast for the XS better the Emu Teak than the Elear and maybe the X or XC? The only disadvantage is the weight and I think for those who Like clarity they Are a Bit Muddy and veiled (Like the 58x)?

And if the XS is Fine the Arya Stealth could be worth as an Upgrade?

May 2, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #11,906 of 12,302
If it were me I'd get the Teak or something like the TH-X00, a warmer closed-back with bass presence. The XS is amazing but also has a lot of energy in the treble so IMO a good compliment would be one that goes the other way. The LCD-X in particular would, to my ears, just be a straight upgrade since it's the least warm of the LCD line.

May 3, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #11,907 of 12,302
I'm looking for an endgame TOTL headphone for metal (power and symphonic mostly if not exclusively).
Here's my shortlist : Meze Elite, ZMF Caldera, D8000 Pro Limited Edition and maybe the AB1266 Phi TC if I can but it'd be quite the stretch in terms of budget.
What do you guys reckon?
... Oh, and I also watch a sizeable amont of movies / series with my cans so they have to deliver the goods on this front as well :wink:
Thanks in advance!

May 3, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #11,908 of 12,302
I'm looking for an endgame TOTL headphone for metal (power and symphonic mostly if not exclusively).
Here's my shortlist : Meze Elite, ZMF Caldera, D8000 Pro Limited Edition and maybe the AB1266 Phi TC if I can but it'd be quite the stretch in terms of budget.
What do you guys reckon?
... Oh, and I also watch a sizeable amont of movies / series with my cans so they have to deliver the goods on this front as well :wink:
Thanks in advance!
IMO out of those listed, I'd get the D8000 Pro. Haven't heard the Caldera yet though. Prefer the D8kp over Elite easily and the 1266 TC will be underwhelming unless you can spend as much if not more on an amp to synergise with it.. I found that out the hard way because I own it.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #11,909 of 12,302
What do you guys reckon?
Thanks in advance!
I would recommend the Kennerton Rognir, I usually prefer using them over my D8000 Pro, they are so much fun and the bass is so thick, they are remarkable.

May 3, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #11,910 of 12,302
IMO out of those listed, I'd get the D8000 Pro. Haven't heard the Caldera yet though. Prefer the D8kp over Elite easily and the 1266 TC will be underwhelming unless you can spend as much if not more on an amp to synergise with it.. I found that out the hard way because I own it.
Which amps did you try with the 1266?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back