Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 12, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #11,521 of 12,290
Is there any headphone with energetic, aggressive, forward mids? And thick sound. I do not like when the guitars sound thin.
Max $200.
Something in the Grado x generation. SR80x maybe.

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #11,522 of 12,290
Is there any headphone with energetic, aggressive, forward mids? And thick sound. I do not like when the guitars sound thin.
Max $200.
Maybe a Drop Meze 99 Noir? They won't sound thin, but I'm not sure if the mids are forward, and they may be a bit recessed in the mids. I owned the 99 Classics, but it's been a long time.

A Grado Hemp might be a good fit, but they're only available used, and still a bit more than $200.

A used HD6xx would work, but you need a decent amp.

Oct 12, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #11,523 of 12,290
Maybe a Drop Meze 99 Noir? They won't sound thin, but I'm not sure if the mids are forward, and they may be a bit recessed in the mids. I owned the 99 Classics, but it's been a long time.

A Grado Hemp might be a good fit, but they're only available used, and still a bit more than $200.

A used HD6xx would work, but you need a decent amp.
Sorry, my fault. For thrash, death, brutal death, slam, maybe black metal.
I have a HD6XX, it is warm, that is not good.
Using it with the Atom amp, they made jazz out of the Kreator - Pleasure to kill album. It was a shocking experiment. :-D

Oct 12, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #11,524 of 12,290
Been a hot minute since I poked my head in here, just browsing the pages, wondering if there's anything new under $500 that might replaced my beloved Grado Hemp. Doesn't look like there's much.

Oct 12, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #11,526 of 12,290
Been a hot minute since I poked my head in here, just browsing the pages, wondering if there's anything new under $500 that might replaced my beloved Grado Hemp. Doesn't look like there's much.
If you like the Grado sound (very mid-forward, kinda bright, fast transients), yeah I don't think there's much in that price range that is new that might interest you. Maybe the Meze 99 Classics? Different sound though, much warmer and less mid-forward. I like the sound of the Grados' that I've heard. I just hate the build and comfort. If you don't mind that, then I'd stick with them and be happy!

Oct 12, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #11,527 of 12,290
If you like the Grado sound (very mid-forward, kinda bright, fast transients), yeah I don't think there's much in that price range that is new that might interest you. Maybe the Meze 99 Classics? Different sound though, much warmer and less mid-forward. I like the sound of the Grados' that I've heard. I just hate the build and comfort. If you don't mind that, then I'd stick with them and be happy!
The thing with the Hemp is they're significantly warmer than other Grado, but still organic and punchy as hell. It's like they keep the majority of Grado traits but warm it up for more energetic music. Meze 99 has been on my radar for a while though...

Oct 18, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #11,528 of 12,290
I have this thread bookmarked and decided to post about the Unique Melody Mest Mk2 Universal... wowza.. It's actually too good. If a song sounds off.. I'm finding it's the recording not the earphones..

That said these things are insane. If I had to put a headphone that pairs as a larger sibling is the Hifiman Arya Stealth.

They are bright about like the Mest are where they are only bad on bad recordings due to their revealing sound. Arya probably more W shaped than the Mest by a little but man..those are my end game period.

I know that headphones and IEMs cannot be compared, but... does anyone know of an headphone with a profile and characteristics similar to the Mest?

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #11,529 of 12,290
I have this thread bookmarked and decided to post about the Unique Melody Mest Mk2 Universal... wowza.. It's actually too good. If a song sounds off.. I'm finding it's the recording not the earphones..

That said these things are insane. If I had to put a headphone that pairs as a larger sibling is the Hifiman Arya Stealth.

They are bright about like the Mest are where they are only bad on bad recordings due to their revealing sound. Arya probably more W shaped than the Mest by a little but man..those are my end game period.
I have the Hifiman Ananda a time ago, and I love it. I think it's enough for me, and I don't need the Arya (although it should be more than great).

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #11,530 of 12,290
My ZMF verite is my favorite for metal, fast detailed and punchy. Not lacking anything for my taste.
Cheaper good option LCD 2C, seems to be often sold used

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #11,532 of 12,290
Has anyone tried hifiman he-r9? I heard it's very warm and punchy headphone, but not sure if it's good for metal
I have not tried it, but for me if it's warm then can't be good for metal 😄

Oct 26, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #11,533 of 12,290
I've been absolutely adoring the E-Mu Teaks with metal lately. Really, I've been adoring the Teaks with every genre ever since I got it. It's the honeymoon that just won't end.

Oct 26, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #11,534 of 12,290
Even for doom metal? I just thought it would be great to have more fun sounding hp than my sundara. Sundara feels almost too dry sometimes and doom (not only doom actually) sounds not powerful enough.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #11,535 of 12,290
Boy howdy I could not disagree with you more lmao

If the kick drum isn't slamming me in the chest, it's no good.

EDIT: Btw this is for @YtseJamer and anyone who's been using the Hemp, is there a recommendation for a full size in roughly the same price range that captures that magic? I've got my eye on the Sivga SV023, seems like the best bet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back