Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 10, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #11,371 of 12,322
Hi all, new to headphones, new to this site, very daunted by this 758-page thread, but also quite interested in a good headphone match for the rawness and intensity of metal music. Tool, Sabbath, Metallica, Thee Oh Sees fan here (amongst others).

Do you find that dynamic vs planar vs electrostatic technology best suited for this kind of music in general, or is that not a legit taxonomy for metal music?
Really depends on preference and specific genres. If you desire extreme and immediate speed from the presentation, dynamics can't offer what planars can here.
I prefer dynamic. I primarily listen to 80s hair metal, some poorly recorded. Most planars will emphasize this, as they tend to be more clinical and resolute, generally (but not always) offering greater emphasis on detailing and resolving capabilities. The bass is typically more layered and technical, though they often lack the punch and thump of a dynamic.
Dynamics seem to be more fun and engaging to my ears. Planars can come across kinda sterile with this type of music, but obviously not all of them. Planars are often brighter with greater treble extension, so it really comes down to what you're after.
Some people like a slight mid forward presentation, while others adore a V shaped sound for rock and metal. Some people prefer dead neutral. Personally, I like a mildly dark and warm presentation.. I would recommend reading up on the differences between dynamic and planar drivers, as well as different tuning and sound signatures. After you have a better idea of what you are looking for, and a budget in mind, it will be much easier for people to make recommendations.

May 11, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #11,372 of 12,322
Looking for an update. Punch and slam needed. Raw power.

I now have Elear and DT1990 pro. I use these both for metal.

They are quite a bit different, I dont know any fancy terms tho. 1990 is so much better for technical death. New Burial in the Sky great with these, Beyond Creation, yes! Elear cannot handle, no pressure. And doom, especially death doom 1990 takes the win.

Elear is better for everything else, but only a little bit. Anything symphonic, Shade Empire, Septicflesh and Fleshgod Apocalypse with Elear, very nice.

Also 1990 is a lot better than Elear on subgenres that it does good compared to where Elear is better than 1990 so if I had to let other one go and keep the other I would keep 1990.

Now Im looking for a maximum of 1500 euro price tag headphone, dont really care whether open or closed back. Im open looking for used and open boxes too but thats not always so simple from Finland.

Looking for unit that would be more similar on sound signature to 1990 than to Elear. Basically hyper 1990 would be awesome.

Weight Im quite picky with so nothing heavier than Elear (450) grams or maybe could just about deal with 500 grams if otherwise comfy cans.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #11,374 of 12,322
I'm going to continue to shill the Fostex TH900 along with a good Class A solid-state or a tube amp. Punch and slam? Raw power? Check. Check. Annnnd check.
Thanks. I read reviews of th900 and they say its bright and Youtuber Joshua Valor says it is piercing sharp, unuseable. This thread also seems to think its good for classic/hard rock and grandfather metal, but no for more extreme type of material. I also read that the hinge is terrible and will break if you drop them.

Im still not discarding it yet, Im seeing a pretty good option on used market.

May 11, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #11,375 of 12,322
Thanks. I read reviews of th900 and they say its bright and Youtuber Joshua Valor says it is piercing sharp, unuseable. This thread also seems to think its good for classic/hard rock and grandfather metal, but no for more extreme type of material. I also read that the hinge is terrible and will break if you drop them.

Im still not discarding it yet, Im seeing a pretty good option on used market.
Yeah it's not that bad, but I would try them for yourself first obviously. A simple pad change and using the right amp fixes any brightness or sibilance. I wouldn't recommend any of the THX-based amps.

They are good for pretty much any genre of music. The Classic rock/grandpa metal headphones are Grado's... Definitely don't discard them as an option, I've heard and owned most headphones and I only listen to rock and metal and they are up there with the best.

May 11, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #11,377 of 12,322
After you have a better idea of what you are looking for, and a budget in mind, it will be much easier for people to make recommendations.
I like a natural, up-front, coherent, live-sounding presentation, with good separation and depth. Detail is secondary for me. Budget not really an issue (I can splurge for one really nice pair).

May 11, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #11,378 of 12,322
Has anyone else found a preference for copper vs silver cables for metal music? I tried a moon audio silver dragon vs stock focal cable on my Stellias and the music just sounded less "live", although more clear and detailed. Went back to stock cable. Want to keep some of that metal "noise", you know?

May 11, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #11,379 of 12,322
Hi all, new to headphones, new to this site, very daunted by this 758-page thread, but also quite interested in a good headphone match for the rawness and intensity of metal music. Tool, Sabbath, Metallica, Thee Oh Sees fan here (amongst others).

Do you find that dynamic vs planar vs electrostatic technology best suited for this kind of music in general, or is that not a legit taxonomy for metal music?
Budget? Amp? DAC? Portable or strictly home use? Open or closed back?

May 11, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #11,380 of 12,322
Budget not an issue (I can splurge on one more good set of headphones). I'd consider open-back or closed-back. I have an Asgard 3 dac at work (so closed back needed there), but a Naim Atom HE at home (open-back obviously best there). I have a pair of Focal Stellia and Focal Clear but if there's a particularly good performer for metal music, I'm not going to be too picky.

May 11, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #11,381 of 12,322
a lot of members love the Abyss 1266 for metal, but its a pain to wear and drive.

Grados arent bad for "grandpa metal" LOL, but again, horrid to wear.

K240 sextetts do what Grados do, but better, but theyre quite old and cant compete with modern headphones in the technical dept. Price is right, and are killer for most genres of metal.

ZMF Atticus is a lot of fun. great mids and mid bass. Thick warm sound. Mid bass can get over bearing at times for faster metal.

ZMF Verite closed is great for well recorded metal. Not so much for trash masterings/production.

ZMF Atrium is great for metal, especially on a SS or tube hybrid amp. On an OTL it can sound too floaty and diffused for metal. Staging and layering for days. Fantastic bass that doesnt bleed into the mids. Like all ZMF headphones, there is a wait involved to get your pair built.

Original, non-X ATH AD2000 is one of the fastest dynamic headphones out there. Absurd clamp though and quite rare. similar presentation to the Sextetts w/ forward mids which are great for riffage. Dry-ish sound.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #11,382 of 12,322
Has anyone else found a preference for copper vs silver cables for metal music? I tried a moon audio silver dragon vs stock focal cable on my Stellias and the music just sounded less "live", although more clear and detailed. Went back to stock cable. Want to keep some of that metal "noise", you know?
I prefer straight copper, but it also depends on the headphones, and what you want them to excel at.

May 11, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #11,383 of 12,322
I like a natural, up-front, coherent, live-sounding presentation, with good separation and depth. Detail is secondary for me. Budget not really an issue (I can splurge for one really nice pair).
I don't play in the summit fi big boy world. My favorite cans are the Ibasso SR2 (Semi Open) . Only 550 bucks, but sound better than every one thousand dollar can I've tried. I even like them better than the Focal Clear MG. In my experience for closed backs, you really can't beat Kennerton. My next stop off the train will be ZMF town. The Denon ah-d9200 is pretty great, as is the E-mu Teak on a budget. My favorite planar for metal is the Quad Era-1. These are all worth exploring imo. Keep us posted, and let us know what you end up with.

May 11, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #11,384 of 12,322
I don't play in the summit fi big boy world. My favorite cans are the Ibasso SR2 (Semi Open) . Only 550 bucks, but sound better than every one thousand dollar can I've tried. I even like them better than the Focal Clear MG. In my experience for closed backs, you really can't beat Kennerton. My next stop off the train will be ZMF town. The Denon ah-d9200 is pretty great, as is the E-mu Teak on a budget. My favorite planar for metal is the Quad Era-1. These are all worth exploring imo. Keep us posted, and let us know what you end up with.
So curious about the ZMF headphones. Thanks for some more budget-friendly recommendations too. I have a lot to check out.

May 11, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #11,385 of 12,322
a lot of members love the Abyss 1266 for metal, but its a pain to wear and drive.

Grados arent bad for "grandpa metal" LOL, but again, horrid to wear.

K240 sextetts do what Grados do, but better, but theyre quite old and cant compete with modern headphones in the technical dept. Price is right, and are killer for most genres of metal.

ZMF Atticus is a lot of fun. great mids and mid bass. Thick warm sound. Mid bass can get over bearing at times for faster metal.

ZMF Verite closed is great for well recorded metal. Not so much for trash masterings/production.

ZMF Atrium is great for metal, especially on a SS or tube hybrid amp. On an OTL it can sound too floaty and diffused for metal. Staging and layering for days. Fantastic bass that doesnt bleed into the mids. Like all ZMF headphones, there is a wait involved to get your pair built.

Original, non-X ATH AD2000 is one of the fastest dynamic headphones out there. Absurd clamp though and quite rare. similar presentation to the Sextetts w/ forward mids which are great for riffage. Dry-ish sound.
Thanks for the suggestions. ZMF headphones are very appealing -- hope they are represented at the THE audio show in Long Beach next month so I can play with them. I'll keep an eye out for some of those vintage phones too.

I happen to prefer a strong clamp vs a headphone that just kinda sits there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back