Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 21, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #11,176 of 12,302
And that is all, folks :beerchug:
Let me elaborate. I love all of the Focal line.. They have all of the slam/impact and dynamic ability that metal needs... They are just too fatiguing. Especially with poorly recorded material. Also, I found the Stellia a bit dark sounding. Might have been poor synergy with my amp though. A good amp pairing might make the difference.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #11,177 of 12,302
Let me elaborate. I love all of the Focal line.. They have all of the slam/impact and dynamic ability that metal needs... They are just too fatiguing. Especially with poorly recorded material. Also, I found the Stellia a bit dark sounding. Might have been poor synergy with my amp though. A good amp pairing might make the difference.
Hello poorly recorded such as what ? What kind of MP3 ?

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #11,179 of 12,302
Well i can agrre that Stellia and Utopia are bad for poor recorded music.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #11,181 of 12,302
Well give an example. What are poorly recorded to you ?
Like 99% black metal (on purpose obviously). After the Burial - Rareform (they had to re-issue it because it was so bad). Early Pantera, early Death. St.Anger... Most metal tbh...

Then compare that to really well-recorded metal: Fear Factory - Demanufacture, Machine Head - Burn My Eyes, Opeth, Lamb of God, Tool, Strapping Young Lad etc.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #11,182 of 12,302
Like 99% black metal (on purpose obviously). After the Burial - Rareform (they had to re-issue it because it was so bad). Early Pantera, early Death. St.Anger... Most metal tbh...

Then compare that to really well-recorded metal: Fear Factory - Demanufacture, Machine Head - Burn My Eyes, Opeth, Lamb of God, Tool, Strapping Young Lad etc.
I see but what about music format ? Is it FLAC ? And yea some headphone are very resolving and unforgiving.

Jan 21, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #11,183 of 12,302
I found the Stellia somewhat muddy/boomy in the bass and too bright for metal.

Jan 21, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #11,184 of 12,302

I see but what about music format ? Is it FLAC ? And yea some headphone are very resolving and unforgiving.
Its a CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still use CDs to listen to music.
I buy them from the records store, do you wanna know also what record store is?

I don't know how @monkey4054 plays his music but regardless Its a fact what monkey4054 says about the recordings
I use a CD Player and always will be and some RCAs to the AMP. Headphones connected to the amp.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #11,185 of 12,302

Do you think that with black metal/death metal they are possibly going for a specific sound?
Calling it a poor recording because it doesn't sound like Fear Factory is a bit silly.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #11,186 of 12,302
Cheers for the feedback, all! My concern was the Stellia would be too fatiguing for metal. Am looking for an "endgame" closed back that's also fairly easy to drive and not genre-specific. Should have the opportunity to test the Stellia this weekend so let's see how I get on.

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #11,188 of 12,302
Do you think that with black metal/death metal they are possibly going for a specific sound?
Calling it a poor recording because it doesn't sound like Fear Factory is a bit silly.
Not silly. I also acknowledge the fact, where I said it was intentional with black metal. I actually prefer the raw, edgy, dirty sound of a 'poor recording'. Doesn't mean that it's not a poor recording... or that I don't like it or that it isn't good. It's just an objective fact about the recording quality.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #11,189 of 12,302
Cheers for the feedback, all! My concern was the Stellia would be too fatiguing for metal. Am looking for an "endgame" closed back that's also fairly easy to drive and not genre-specific. Should have the opportunity to test the Stellia this weekend so let's see how I get on.
I would check out:

Fostex TH900
ZMF Verite Closed
Audeze LCD-XC
Maybe.. Denon 9200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back