Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 19, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #11,134 of 12,322
Yup, not getting into that sham of a review. Mastero Measurebator needs to revise his methodologies and ensure he's not measuring with modded pads...
Any graph better measured?

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #11,137 of 12,322
I just tested the DT 770 Pro and the Fostex TH-610 and I love the Fostex. Thanks for your recommendation.
If you dont listen to compressed recording and not really an all rounder then its fine. Fostex TH X-00 or 600 is superior in sound and performance but where it lacks towards DT 770 is being an all rounder (movies, monitoring, music, gaming, works well for multimedia and compressed recording) as well as soft velour pads, lighter and replaceable built materials. Easily recommended.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #11,138 of 12,322
I'm listening to Opeth with the Susvara as we speak, and it's sublime.. :) I hope you get a chance to hear the TC as well.
Good choice. Ghost Reveries especially is a real test for any headphone. The Susvara did impress me a lot and if I was looking for an upgrade for the HD800s (which are, of course, not suitable for metal), they'd likely be my choice. TC I'm keen to demo, though frankly the looks and comfort deter me (and something about the company is a bit iffy to me, but that's probably some irrational prejudice). But everything I hear about their sound would likely appeal. I also demoed the Final D8000 Pro and they were also formidable for the metal, but again comfort was a bit much.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #11,139 of 12,322
Hello, sir! I guess that's about planar version. I've seen planar headphones in different "for metal" top lists many times and also heard that planars usually sacrifice macrodynamics for microdynamics (taken with the cup of salt). So my question is what type of sound do you prefer, whether analytical or fun (it doesn't mean that analytical sound can't be fun) and what subgenres of metal do you enjoy listening to?
Hi there, yes planar. I'd say for both macro and microdynamics, they are peerless. Opeth, mentioned above/below, is a good example. On something like "Grand Conjuration," you have the macrodynamic slam of the staccato introduction without any shortcomings coupled with the microdynamics on the proceeding acoustic passages with the layered vocals.

As for me, I'd say I prefer something like "analytical fun." HD800s fit that bill as do Rognir. I like a forward presentation, but without any dryness. A headphone that is resolving and revealing while also being highly musical - that would be the Rognir for me.

On metal, basically anything from 1981 to 1994: meaning anything from Dokken to Darkthrone, anything from Cinderella to Carcass. You name something from that era, I'll likely have an opinion on it. What I don't like - without sounding more like a boomer - is current gen DJENT and basically most metal after 1994 except for Opeth and some later day black metal/death metal/prog metal bands (i.e., Nile, Enslaved, Blut Aus Nord, Haken, Unto Others, etc).

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #11,140 of 12,322
Any graph better measured?
Check out the Kennerton thread - several more Rognir graphs there. But main advice is to hear for yourself. I can't imagine anyone who likes metal not appreciating the Rognir.

This is a recent review of the Rognir, which gives an accurate of their merits (and also gives comparative overview of different pads, which I mentioned above)

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #11,142 of 12,322
I find Final D8000 incredible good for metal. But I avoid to make statements since my amplifier is a hybrid tube and adds something more to the signature, so what I describe might be related more to amplification than to the headphone itself and many others are using different types of amplifiers. All I say is that D8000 are very transparent, fast and organic sounding. The signature is warm but resolving, and this goes very good with metal giving some analogue sound to the guitars, some emotion to the acoustical passages and so on. I tried today D8000 with the latest Night album (hard/heavy) and sounded spectacular, then I moved to Night Crowned (death/black) and at the moment I am listening to the latest Harakiri for the Sky (post/black). All sounded very good on D8000 and for the tube lovers, I can say these headphones are somehow more responsive to tube rolling than others I have tried in the past, meaning that the effect of a tube change is bigger than on my other headphones, for example ZMF Verite. Might be a consequence of the transparency, hell knows. I have not listened yet to D8000 Pro but the reports of some experienced users point me to those and I put them on my short list and report back when I have the chance to compare them to D8000. In the meantime, keep these on your radar people.

PS. Forgot to mention the outstanding bass quality. So beside the liquid electric guitar solos you get some top class double pedal and bass in general. Just imagine Morbid Angel's Blessed are the Sick or Covenant on these. So yep, D8000 is a strong recommendation for metal.

PS2. These need a lot of burn in to shine. Burn in skeptics avoid these. They change a lot and I think one month is a minimum to have an ideea.

PS3. On very fast and crowded passages, like for example on the Night Crowned album, you might want a little bit of more resolution, separation and maybe voices on front. But this comes to the cost of euphony and overall pleasant sound these provide. D8000 pro might solve these issues, but there is always a cost.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #11,143 of 12,322
Because Rognir is too expensive for some people to afford.
Yes, we know your stance on high-end gear and we've been through it enough. Give me a budget, I'll give you a headphone for metal within that range.

DT770 Pro (or indeed the new DT700 Pro X) is a no brainer for metal. That can be found for $120. I mean, get a pair of Koss Porta Pro if you want to rock out on a budget.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #11,144 of 12,322
Yes, we know your stance on high-end gear and we've been through it enough. Give me a budget, I'll give you a headphone for metal within that range.

DT770 Pro (or indeed the new DT700 Pro X) is a no brainer for metal. That can be found for $120. I mean, get a pair of Koss Porta Pro if you want to rock out on a budget.
Nevermind is alright. Its fine for me. Am afraid to make further comments but sometimes I cant take it.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #11,145 of 12,322
Nevermind is alright. Its fine for me. Am afraid to make further comments but sometimes I cant take it.
No need to be afraid, I'm simply saying there's a budget for every user. Obviously, one doesn't have to spend Rognir level prices to have a meaningful and enjoyable experience (though the title of this thread is "ultimate solution," which I guess means top tier?).

If I was on a desert island and only had a Chord Mojo, a DT770 Pro, and a DAP full of 80s metal, I'd be very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back