Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 11, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #11,087 of 12,322
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #11,089 of 12,322
Any ideas on hifiman edition xs vs grado hemp for metal/rock/pop? There a similar price and early reviews say they got good bass
The Hemp literally stopped my hunt for new headphones. At least in terms of my desktop setup.

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #11,090 of 12,322
Not sure who here is interested but the Heavys (designed by Axel Grell of Sennheiser) KickStarter is live and they smashed their goal in less than 45 minutes. For $150 a 4-driver wireless set of over-ears "tuned for metal" sounds like a more than worthwhile gamble.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...red-for-heavy-metal?ref=checkout_rewards_page
I bought it at the super early bird price ($134 + $15 shipping) just on Axel's name and the fact that it was low priced enough that if it ends up being bad or "meh", I'm not losing sleep over it. :). I'm hoping it's "wow" or at least decent.

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #11,091 of 12,322
Any ideas on hifiman edition xs vs grado hemp for metal/rock/pop? There a similar price and early reviews say they got good bass
They will be completely different.
I have the Ananda and the Hemp and their sound is nothing alike.

It will depend a lot on whether you like the Grado sound, or prefer a more technical planar sound.

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #11,092 of 12,322
I bought it at the super early bird price ($134 + $15 shipping) just on Axel's name and the fact that it was low priced enough that if it ends up being bad or "meh", I'm not losing sleep over it. :). I'm hoping it's "wow" or at least decent.
As long as it's in the realm of "fun" I think it'll be a winner. Given Axel on it I'm not expecting bass cannons or massive V-tuning, despite the driver configuration.

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #11,093 of 12,322
As long as it's in the realm of "fun" I think it'll be a winner. Given Axel on it I'm not expecting bass cannons or massive V-tuning, despite the driver configuration.
Yeah, I'll be honest that I'm a little wary of this multi-driver configuration -- but I'm hopeful nonetheless. But this has not traditionally worked very well in headphones like it can in IEMs. Even in IEMs it can be a challenge.

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #11,094 of 12,322
What do you think the LP and DF is for ?
Given the sound signature and lack of staging, you can rule out many different genres of music. In practical terms, both could make good mastering and production tools, though im not sure that was the intended target.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #11,095 of 12,322
I'm bummed to learn the Heavys are wireless. In my experience, fast, punchy, well-extended bass just takes a lot of power and I have my doubts that the headphone's built-in wireless amp is going to be able to do it. Unless we're talking a battery life of, like, thirty minutes.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #11,096 of 12,322
I'm bummed to learn the Heavys are wireless. In my experience, fast, punchy, well-extended bass just takes a lot of power and I have my doubts that the headphone's built-in wireless amp is going to be able to do it. Unless we're talking a battery life of, like, thirty minutes.
The battery life is on the order of 50 hours, and besides Bluetooth and USB-C digital input, it can also be used in "Wired Pure Passive" mode which I would hope is what it says, a real passive mode that will use an outboard amp rather than merely an analog input that gets fed to an ADC and through the built-in DAC and amp.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #11,097 of 12,322

Nnnnot really? Plenty of headphones out there can do great punchy/extended bass just with a Fiio BTR5 or similar. This notion that if a headphone isn't power hungry it can't be good is nonsense. It's all in the application. I'm not saying the Heavys are amazing (haven't heard 'em) but if there are issues with the bass or whatever it's not because of a power issue.

I mean hell I'm sitting here with the Grado Hemp that are impactful as hell and they can be run out of a cracker.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #11,098 of 12,322
Nnnnot really? Plenty of headphones out there can do great punchy/extended bass just with a Fiio BTR5 or similar. This notion that if a headphone isn't power hungry it can't be good is nonsense. It's all in the application. I'm not saying the Heavys are amazing (haven't heard 'em) but if there are issues with the bass or whatever it's not because of a power issue.

I mean hell I'm sitting here with the Grado Hemp that are impactful as hell and they can be run out of a cracker.
Right -- I think it is the case sometimes for planar headphones, but my Meze 99 Neo punch pretty hard and get way too loud out of my iPad headphones out -- a BT version of those cans wouldn't be hard to implement.

Jan 11, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #11,099 of 12,322
Hi there! Has anyone listened to both Denon 7200 and brand new Beyerdynamic 700 x? I want to find out whether they are comparable or 7200 is on another level and worth the double price.
I'm not a bass/treble head and also not a fan of boring and too analytical sound, I just listen to music for fun. I think that mild V shape would be perfect for me.
50% of my listening is extreme metal and other 50% is classic heavy, rock, a bit of retro pop, electronic and classical.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #11,100 of 12,322

I don't know, in my experience, bass usually turns into this rounded, vague blob at the bottom on underpowered headphones. Like, it's there, but I wouldn't call it coherent or tight. Like, my old Beyer 770 and my current Beyer 150, the bass on those is just super flabby out of my BTR5. It's not until I feed them more power that the bass really tightens up and slams and rumbles. But those headphones are pretty inefficient in general. So in contrast, X2HR + BTR5, they retain an okay amount of punch, but they just don't rumble so much as hum until I give them more power.

But I suppose it's kind of a chicken-or-the-egg thing. Like, all my more powerful amps also cost more money, and that extra cost probably also includes improved tuning over my less expensive amps. So is it the extra power that's responsible for the improved bass I hear, or is it the improved audio characteristics, or is 50/50, or 60/40, or 80/20, etc etc.

Correlation does not equal causation, so I can't say for sure it's just the power responsible for my improved bass experiences, but at the very least it can be clearly observed that different amps absolutely influence the sound reproduction of a headphone, whatever the reason for that is. And there's a lot of fun to be had in experimenting with headphone and amp pairing, so hopefully the Heavys do have a fully passive mode so we can have that kind of fun with them.

So yeah, I'll be sitting on my hands until we learn more about it in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back