Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 24, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #11,026 of 12,302
I'm very curious to hear the new Kennerton Rognir Dynamic.

Rognir-Dynamic-Blue-1.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #11,029 of 12,302
Have you read through the ongoing closed back headphones dedicated thread?

I'm gonna be honest with you and point out that I really do not have the time or energy to read through a 209 page thread. A big part of message boards is discussion and given that I'm primarily a metal listener I'm willing to bet if I asked a question over there they'd go "hey check out the thread about metal."

Dec 24, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #11,030 of 12,302
Kennerton makes incredible products in general, and that looks actually comfortable?? Oh man.

Yes but I just realized the price is 1,641$ USD. :scream:

To be honest, I don’t know why I'm still looking at new headphones when I'm totally happy with my 2 main headphones. (VC and Hemp)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #11,031 of 12,302
Yes but I just realized the price is 1,641$ USD. :scream:

To be honest, I'm not sure why I'm still looking at new headphones when I'm totally happy with my 2 main headphones. (VC and Hemp)

What amp and DAC do you like driving the VC with for metal? I feel like it's inevitable I'm going to get one at some point, their word of mouth marketing is so good...

For reference, I'm really enjoying the Modius + Soloist 3XP driving the Arya V3 at the moment. With complex, fast stuff like Wintersun or Mechina, the soundstage and transient response really shine. The only way I can think of to improve this would be stronger macrodynamics.

Dec 24, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #11,032 of 12,302
What amp and DAC do you like driving the VC with for metal?
Although the VC is good with SS amping, better than most of the other ZMFs, the only way to go is a tube amp with ZMF headphones. I use an OTL, and I do not feel im losing any speed, but if you're hardcore about having the fastest impulse response possible, I'd read Hansotek's review and comments following on the Wells Dragon.

His quote on it and the VC is:

"I loved it with the Verite Closed, as well. I think "action-packed" would be a good adjective here. Super deep bass and violent attack and decay properties give it a massively fun sound. A bit different from OTL on both ZMFs @Monsterzero - I really love the bloom of a 50-60ohm output impedance with the ZMFs, but the Dragon gives you a little bit of the best of both worlds because you have the tube euphony and the solid state speed. It's a different flavor, but equally good, IMHO."

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #11,033 of 12,302
I'm gonna be honest with you and point out that I really do not have the time or energy to read through a 209 page thread. A big part of message boards is discussion and given that I'm primarily a metal listener I'm willing to bet if I asked a question over there they'd go "hey check out the thread about metal."
LOL. Yeah, you probably right.

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #11,037 of 12,302
Thanks for the tips on tubes with VC! I'm curious what makes this such a great pairing - what is it you guys love about what tubes do with VC as opposed to a solid state that you can roll op amps with?

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #11,038 of 12,302
Hey all, I’ve been testing out a couple different headphones lately (Sundara and DT 990 pro). I listen to death and doom mostly.

I like both headphones quite a bit. Having a hard time picking a favorite honestly. However I find they both clamp quite a bit. Admittedly, I have a big head!

I was eyeing the Sen 6XX maybe as another candidate. Anyone have thoughts on that for metal. And thoughts on comfort level?

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #11,039 of 12,302
Hey all, I’ve been testing out a couple different headphones lately (Sundara and DT 990 pro). I listen to death and doom mostly.

I like both headphones quite a bit. Having a hard time picking a favorite honestly. However I find they both clamp quite a bit. Admittedly, I have a big head!

I was eyeing the Sen 6XX maybe as another candidate. Anyone have thoughts on that for metal. And thoughts on comfort level?
The 6XX is great for metal with some EQ (to bring the lower bass up and the upper mids down a bit) and they are very comfortable to me because they’re so light. BUT they are on the clampier side, so if you find clamp uncomfortable you might not like them. I have a big head too and I found it loosened up a bit after a few months of usage but ymmv.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #11,040 of 12,302
I was wondering if people wouldn’t mind listing off their personal favorite headphones for metal. I currently have verite closed and rognir planar magnetic from kennerton that I use mostly. I was looking at possibly getting a focal Stella or any focal open back that sounds good with metal that isn’t utopia. Kind of looking for an open back under 4k maybe to add to collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back