Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 23, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #11,011 of 12,322
Any love for closed-backs? Seems like the Meze 99 Classics are the go-tos still. I'm in need of a set to complement my Grado Hemps. Warm but not "basshead" by any means ideally.
I had the Meze 99C and Grado SR-325X. If you like closed headphones, I recommend the Sony MDR-1AM2. They are fine tuned to electric guitars and drums (even those from the 80s). If you also listen to something electronic, you will hear deep and punchy bass. I recommend them with amp/DAC and EQ.

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #11,012 of 12,322
99 classics are very bassy. I don’t have much experience with other closed backs in that price range but I wouldn’t really recommend them if you’re not into bass. Or wiling yo EQ it down a bit.
I agree. I immediately sent them back. Way too bassy for me. And I do like bass..

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #11,013 of 12,322
Yeah, still have to disagree. They sound nothing like Beats, bass or anywhere else. You must be using the large, now stock pads. I'm still using the original pads (until they die), and the bass is only elevated slightly. Definitely absolutely zero bloat.
Oh yeah I definitely used whatever pads they came with. Modding is a whole other can of worms

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #11,014 of 12,322
I've
Yeah they’re definitely great cans for the price. Just wanted to make the poster aware that they are definitely not bass light. An emphasis at 250hz even if it’s not huge can make bass sound bloated to me. It’s easily corrected with EQ so it’s not a big deal, and I do enjoy elevated bass myself. But if you’re used to, say an hd650, these will basically sound like beats lol
LOL I definitely understand that. I use Fiio FD5 as my IEM of choice but I'm not sure how that would compare (I like warmth for sure). I remember testing the 99C once a while ago and they felt a bit too bassy for my tastes but I was curious if that's still considered the best option.
I had the Meze 99C and Grado SR-325X. If you like closed headphones, I recommend the Sony MDR-1AM2. They are fine tuned to electric guitars and drums (even those from the 80s). If you also listen to something electronic, you will hear deep and punchy bass. I recommend them with amp/DAC and EQ.
This is a surprising recommendation. I've not heard much of anyone talk about the Sony but reviews do seem good. Thank you for that, they're going on my shortlist for the moment.

The Beyer DT 700 Pro X are high on my list but I'm unsure.

Dec 23, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #11,015 of 12,322
With the Meze 99 I was always tweaking something in the EQ track by track. When I equalize the 1AM2 to my liking, they remain perfectly compatible on all hundreds of stored tracks ... not only that, they remain perfectly set even on musical genres that have nothing to do with Metal. The 1AM2 behaves like a professional headset. Sony.. aesthetically it is ugly strong😱, but incredibly comfortable.

Dec 23, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #11,016 of 12,322
Any love for closed-backs? Seems like the Meze 99 Classics are the go-tos still. I'm in need of a set to complement my Grado Hemps. Warm but not "basshead" by any means ideally.
the midbass bleeds into the mids, muddying up the sound for any faster metal genres
I think the 99 Classics are nice for classic rock and slower metal sub genres, but those double kicks in melodeath become a muddy over-extended blur

Dec 23, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #11,017 of 12,322
The Beyer DT 700 Pro X are high on my list but I'm unsure.
did you mean the DT770? If so, they are treble cannons with recessed mids, but do have nice tight bass response.

I personally havent heard a great closed back HP for metal under 4 digits. The closest Ive heard is the old Sennheiser HD250, which isn't easy to drive, can be hard to find, really shines with tubes, and has slightly recessed mids. It's tuning is fairly flat, and has subterranean sub-bass and a satisfying mid bass slam. I wish the mids were more prominent than they are( ala Grado/Sextetts/AD2000) , but theyre pretty good for the $

Dec 23, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #11,018 of 12,322
Well, not exactly the next door go to, but the vintage Sennheiser HD250 Linear 1, with the original ear pads, would be a great choice. I know they're hard to get now a days, but they are worth it. The ear pads are a decisive factor in getting the thumpy bass.

Edit: Hehehe, I see that Monsterzero got ahead of me and already wrote you about the HD250, what a surprise...:wink:
Since he's too modest to mention this himself, I suggest reading his own HD250 review on YouTube (@HeadKharma):)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #11,019 of 12,322
did you mean the DT770? If so, they are treble cannons with recessed mids, but do have nice tight bass response.

I personally havent heard a great closed back HP for metal under 4 digits. The closest Ive heard is the old Sennheiser HD250, which isn't easy to drive, can be hard to find, really shines with tubes, and has slightly recessed mids. It's tuning is fairly flat, and has subterranean sub-bass and a satisfying mid bass slam. I wish the mids were more prominent than they are( ala Grado/Sextetts/AD2000) , but theyre pretty good for the $
The DT770 a *treble cannon*?

Uh... okay. No offense but if that's how your ears experience the DT770 (which I've owned) then I think you and I hear things vastly differently.

I also have a general iffiness for anyone who claims you need to spend 4 digits for anything.

Dec 23, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #11,020 of 12,322
I also have a general iffiness for anyone who claims you need to spend 4 digits for anything.
I didnt say you "needed" to spend over a grand. I said, "I have not heard a great closed back metal HP under a grand ", suggesting to the reader that I have not heard every single headphone out there, and since I don't like to recommend anything I havent owned or heard extensively, i included the 1K caveat.

Over 1k, the Atticus is very nice for slower metal, but suffers to a lesser extent, the same midbass blur that the 99 Classics do. I also like the Verite closed a lot for metal. The Beryllium drivers have a lightning fast impulse response, which lends itself well to fast music. However, it can be a bit of a music scalpel so poorly recorded albums can be difficult to enjoy on the VC.
The Stellia is also nice as well.

EDIT: For the record, I suggested the HD250, which I paid 75.00 shipped for.
Uh... okay. No offense but if that's how your ears experience the DT770 (which I've owned) then I think you and I hear things vastly differently.
We all hear differently, and all have different upstream chains that can greatly influence the overall tone of our systems.
I have tried real hard to like Beyers, having owned the DT770, DT880, DT990 x2 times and T1 as well. each time the treble and recessed mids were not to my liking.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #11,023 of 12,322
It amazes me how much a set of pads can alter the sound. Enough people complained about the size of the original 99 Classics pads, so they made them bigger and deeper. There is no mid bass bleed or muddiness with the original pads.
I dont recall what pads were attached to the99s when I got them from Amazon.

To me, the 99's bass is a double edged sword. For older, un-remastered metal where dynamics are kinda non-existent, the 99s added a nice thump to the equation. However, on newer metal with hotter mastering (Amon Amarth, for example) the bass was too much.

Dec 23, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #11,024 of 12,322
I like Grado & Stax with metal.
The Grado Hemp is stunning with metal even on a humble little amp. My thing is just looking for a closed-back so I can listen at times when there's noise around me.

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #11,025 of 12,322
I dont recall what pads were attached to the99s when I got them from Amazon.

To me, the 99's bass is a double edged sword. For older, un-remastered metal where dynamics are kinda non-existent, the 99s added a nice thump to the equation. However, on newer metal with hotter mastering (Amon Amarth, for example) the bass was too much.
If they came from Amazon, it likely had the l
The Grado Hemp is stunning with metal even on a humble little amp. My thing is just looking for a closed-back so I can listen at times when there's noise around me.

Have you read through the ongoing closed back headphones dedicated thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back