Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 13, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #10,651 of 12,322
I've used the regular M100 and the Crossfade 2 Codec. Pretty damn good, but unless the M100 is markedly less bassy I'm not sure they'd be my go-to.

May 13, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #10,652 of 12,322
I have the m50x, Grado hemp, and 58x. Being that the m50x is still my favorite for some impactful metal mayhem, but ultimately doesn’t tickle my pickle...

I think the 2021 LCD-X will be perfect. It’s the first time I’ve actually felt like a decision is to be made for my next level headphones. Now just availability..

Again, I’m surprised it doesn’t get mentioned in this thread more often and I’m surprised something like the Grado hemp was pushed so hard a few pages back. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a proud owner, but they will kill your ears at the SPL needed to feel the kick drum and bass guitar rumble

May 13, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #10,653 of 12,322
I have the m50x, Grado hemp, and 58x. Being that the m50x is still my favorite for some impactful metal mayhem, but ultimately doesn’t tickle my pickle...

I think the 2021 LCD-X will be perfect. It’s the first time I’ve actually felt like a decision is to be made for my next level headphones. Now just availability..

Again, I’m surprised it doesn’t get mentioned in this thread more often and I’m surprised something like the Grado hemp was pushed so hard a few pages back. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a proud owner, but they will kill your ears at the SPL needed to feel the kick drum and bass guitar rumble
Either you're really treble sensitive or you've got the Hemps going through something especially thin because I can crank mine as loud as I want without hurting my ears (doing it right now with some brutal death metal). Then again, I also found the M50x more than a little bloated and overly bassy so I suspect you're looking for a ton more bass response. In which case I can tell you not to get the LCD-X. If you think the Hemp kills your ears at high volumes, the X will shred them. Neither are going to give you anything close to the kind of bass impact something like the M50x does. A closed-back dynamic with an inherent bass tilt is not going to get matched "slam for slam" by an open-back of any kind, even a planar, and the X is the least bassy of Audeze's lineup.

May 13, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #10,654 of 12,322
Either you're really treble sensitive or you've got the Hemps going through something especially thin because I can crank mine as loud as I want without hurting my ears (doing it right now with some brutal death metal). Then again, I also found the M50x more than a little bloated and overly bassy so I suspect you're looking for a ton more bass response. In which case I can tell you not to get the LCD-X. If you think the Hemp kills your ears at high volumes, the X will shred them. Neither are going to give you anything close to the kind of bass impact something like the M50x does. A closed-back dynamic with an inherent bass tilt is not going to get matched "slam for slam" by an open-back of any kind, even a planar, and the X is the least bassy of Audeze's lineup.
Well.. I haven’t bought yet.. for amp/dac I use the spectre X2 on my phone and my Universal Audio Apollo interface at my desk, but rarely on the UA.

I am a bit sensitive to treble. I suppose I should clarify. I don’t need as much slam as the m50x, but don’t want to go without any. The hemps can get chunky and the 58x is what I would consider soft bass.

I would sacrifice slam for some good sound stage because the m50x doesn’t have that

May 13, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #10,655 of 12,322
Well.. I haven’t bought yet.. for amp/dac I use the spectre X2 on my phone and my Universal Audio Apollo interface at my desk, but rarely on the UA.

I am a bit sensitive to treble. I suppose I should clarify. I don’t need as much slam as the m50x, but don’t want to go without any. The hemps can get chunky and the 58x is what I would consider soft bass.

I would sacrifice slam for some good sound stage because the m50x doesn’t have that
The X is a big buy, and while I liked my set, they were definitely leaner than the 2 and 3. I tend to recommend the X for people who want extra treble energy, but the 2 Classic for someone who wants a bit of a warmer experience.

I would say aim at the 2C if you're looking for an Audeze. For real. It's got a smoother sound than the X and is a lot easier to turn the volume up on. Don't get fooled by the lower price tag and feel like you're "downgrading." I was all about my VModa M100s for a long while so I came from a similar sound profile and between the two I'd pick the 2C no hesitation even if I had the money in hand for the X.

May 16, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #10,656 of 12,322
Hi there ,
I have the itch to get another set or 2 of headphones .My setup at present is a Ibasso DX-220 source >Schitt Audio Yggdrasil dac >Violedtric V281 headamp and the cans i have are Hifiman HE-6 ,Senn HD-800s and Focal Clears these are on the market for sale .For metal i like the HE-6s the best with cans i have tried .I am looking for recommendations for my next pair or 2 of headphones .I listen mainly to 80s and 90s heavy metal and thrash metal being an old school metalhead .Cans that are on my radar are
Audeze LCD3 or LCD-X
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 pro
ZMF Aeolus
Hifiman HE 1000V2
AKG 812
any comments on these or other cans i should be looking at would be much appreciated .

May 16, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #10,657 of 12,322
Hi there ,
I have the itch to get another set or 2 of headphones .My setup at present is a Ibasso DX-220 source >Schitt Audio Yggdrasil dac >Violedtric V281 headamp and the cans i have are Hifiman HE-6 ,Senn HD-800s and Focal Clears these are on the market for sale .For metal i like the HE-6s the best with cans i have tried .I am looking for recommendations for my next pair or 2 of headphones .I listen mainly to 80s and 90s heavy metal and thrash metal being an old school metalhead .Cans that are on my radar are
Audeze LCD3 or LCD-X
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 pro
ZMF Aeolus
Hifiman HE 1000V2
AKG 812
any comments on these or other cans i should be looking at would be much appreciated .

how did you like the clears for metal and why are you selling them?

May 16, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #10,658 of 12,322
I found them a light on like the hd800s but without the sound stage and not as detailed .The reason im selling as i found sound signature to close to the hd800s but not as good .I wanted a set of cans that could compete with my HE-6 for my love and the clears arnt in the same league if you ask me .

May 16, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #10,659 of 12,322
Hi there ,
Audeze LCD3 or LCD-X
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 pro
ZMF Aeolus
Hifiman HE 1000V2
AKG 812
I suspect that, of those, the only one that might work for you is the HEKv2. The Audeze shouldn't be on your list at all because they're not going to give you the soundstage or detail you're after, they're more for people like me who want extra warmth and "weight." ZMF is also known for more bottom end. The Beyer treble might get grating at times. I had the 177x and some recordings were rough there. No idea about the 812.

May 16, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #10,661 of 12,322
ZMF is also known for more bottom end.
Zac @ZMF recommended the Atticus or the Aeolus for metal when i chatted to him via email a while back

May 16, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #10,662 of 12,322
Zac @ZMF recommended the Atticus or the Aeolus for metal when i chatted to him via email a while back
I just got done watching the metal571 review of ZMF stuff and he seems to like the audeze lcd-2 (or 2c?) for metal. He recommended that the ZMF stuff would be better for other types of music. I suppose with all the different revisions, this could all change

May 16, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #10,663 of 12,322
That... doesn't disagree with what I'm saying at all. I'm saying the other guy seems to be prefer his headphones leaner and with a detail focus rather than weighty. I love ZMF and Audeze both for metal, but that's because I like extra heft with the rhythm section and a warmer signature.

"Good for metal" doesn't mean one singular sound profile. The requirements of what sounds good for metal changes depending on who's listening. I wouldn't take an HD800 if I got 'em for free (well I would, I'd just sell them), but obviously many people think they're great for metal. I do not. I also don't like HiFiMan at all, I'm not a fan of their presentation.

May 17, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #10,664 of 12,322
I wouldn't take an HD800 if I got 'em for free (well I would, I'd just sell them), but obviously many people think they're great for metal.
I do not use my HD 800S for metal more for gaming there big sound stage is awesome for gaming .When i bought my HE-6s i listened to many cans before i made my choice imho there was nothing that beat it Now to keep researching what cans to buy next .

May 17, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #10,665 of 12,322

LCD-X can take ridiculous amounts of bass when EQ-d. It has an extremely capable driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back