Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 17, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #10,561 of 12,293
Wondering what everyone's opinion is on what the best TOTL headphone for metal is?

For me, out of the ones that I've personally heard and/or owned it's:

1. Final Audio D8000 (or D8000 Pro with a bass boost)
  2. Fostex TH-900
  3. Hifiman HE-6 SE
The Audeze LCD-4 was exceptional overall, but was far too heavy in weight and had something a bit off in the mid-range as well.

Still need to try the Abyss AB-1266 though.... most people think that's the best
Yes, you need to try 1266!
For me 1266 and D8000 are best!

Apr 17, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #10,562 of 12,293
Yes the Abyss is nr 1 for me. Probably followed by the LCD 4. I recently put a pilot pad on it, and that has greatly improved the comfort. I use it with EQ in Roon.

I haven't heard your top 3 though. I'm most interested in hearing the fostex one day.
TH-900 are source picky! But still my fav closed back for metal.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #10,565 of 12,293
Hi guys! I came across this forum. I Am thinking about buy new headphones for metal. Now i have Sennheiser 800s with Singxer Class A headphone amp. M
I Am very like this combo but... you know there is soo many another options out there, so i feel very tempted. Mostly i listening to black metal.
In the first post on this thread from "revap" i read that AUDEZE LCD-2classic without fazors are great option. But on another forum some user says he is very dissapointed with audexe 2C and also X and prefer Focal Headphones specially Elegia. Some people preffers Fostex or Kennerton Odin/Vali
I dont have budget if someone say LCD-2c are good option, i will buy them. If someone say Foxtex 909 are good, then i will buy Fostex too :) But not Abyss this is so much for me to pay for pair of headphones :)
Thank you very much (and sorry for my grammar i am not native english speaker)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #10,566 of 12,293
I just purchased a used Quad Era-1 from the classifieds. What are people's thoughts about these for rock and metal? The list of headphones I've bought and sold is pretty exhaustive at this point. I still don't feel like my craving has been satisfied. Haven't spent over 750 yet - feel like I might need to. If these aren't the one, I'll likely purchase the Magni again, or go straight to the Atticus.

Apr 20, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #10,567 of 12,293
Hi guys! I came across this forum. I Am thinking about buy new headphones for metal. Now i have Sennheiser 800s with Singxer Class A headphone amp. M
I Am very like this combo but... you know there is soo many another options out there, so i feel very tempted. Mostly i listening to black metal.
In the first post on this thread from "revap" i read that AUDEZE LCD-2classic without fazors are great option. But on another forum some user says he is very dissapointed with audexe 2C and also X and prefer Focal Headphones specially Elegia. Some people preffers Fostex or Kennerton Odin/Vali
I dont have budget if someone say LCD-2c are good option, i will buy them. If someone say Foxtex 909 are good, then i will buy Fostex too :) But not Abyss this is so much for me to pay for pair of headphones :)
Fostex TH-909 would be my pick. However, if you can get the TH-900 cheaper, I'd get that. Better/more bass on the 900, but the 909 is much more balanced and the treble is not bothersome. You really need to try them out for yourself if you can, you might end up preferring something totally different...

Apr 20, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #10,568 of 12,293
System of a Down - Album - Toxicity - on 4/20 with the Hemp certainly has its merits. Pleased with the purchase. Whether or not it is worth 4x my SR80e remains to be seen but definitely matches my preference with smoother, darker presentation with slightly tighter, meatier bass

Recommend the Hemp as many have previous in this thread

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #10,569 of 12,293
Fostex TH-909 would be my pick. However, if you can get the TH-900 cheaper, I'd get that. Better/more bass on the 900, but the 909 is much more balanced and the treble is not bothersome. You really need to try them out for yourself if you can, you might end up preferring something totally different...
For me is buy and (hope) win situation :) There is NO shop around here where i can try any headphones :frowning2: Only my local music shop can order Fostex from factory directly. Prices ale cca 1400 eur for 900 MK2 and 1600 eur for Fostex 909 so it is 200 eur difference. My heart tells me i should pull the trigger on 909 right? :)

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #10,570 of 12,293
I just purchased a used Quad Era-1 from the classifieds. What are people's thoughts about these for rock and metal? The list of headphones I've bought and sold is pretty exhaustive at this point. I still don't feel like my craving has been satisfied. Haven't spent over 750 yet - feel like I might need to. If these aren't the one, I'll likely purchase the Magni again, or go straight to the Atticus.
I have seen you trying different headphones, including some closed back. Have you tried the Beyer DT 1990 Pros with metal?

Apr 21, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #10,571 of 12,293
I have seen you trying different headphones, including some closed back. Have you tried the Beyer DT 1990 Pros with metal?
I have not. Beyerdynamic is one direction I haven't traveled yet. I've almost purchased the T5p 2nd a few times, but the reverb echo effect people speak of concerns me. Is the 1990 bright? It also can't be ran balanced, correct?

Apr 21, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #10,572 of 12,293
Well, the Abyss is the best for metal, but point taken. My second choice for metal would be either Utopia or Stellia, probably the latter for Metal. Or Elegia if the budget is small. Stellia and Utopia are snappy and superfast, which is what is fun with metal - Audeze are like sleepy sofas in comparison.

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #10,573 of 12,293
Well, the Abyss is the best for metal, but point taken. My second choice for metal would be either Utopia or Stellia, probably the latter for Metal. Or Elegia if the budget is small. Stellia and Utopia are snappy and superfast, which is what is fun with metal - Audeze are like sleepy sofas in comparison.
Hi thank you for reply !
Utopia si expensive too maybe Stellia can be good option but is closed-back. Do you think closed-back are better for metal than open-back? Or it doesnt matter?
Sorry i dont understand this from your post: "probably the latter for Metal."
and Did you try Focal Clear MG ? and what about Odin ? I see you have this hp in current setup.

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #10,574 of 12,293
Hi thank you for reply !
Utopia si expensive too maybe Stellia can be good option but is closed-back. Do you think closed-back are better for metal than open-back? Or it doesnt matter?
Sorry i dont understand this from your post: "probably the latter for Metal."
and Did you try Focal Clear MG ? and what about Odin ? I see you have this hp in current setup.
latter was in reference to the Stellia. I find a GOOD closed back better for metal because of the overall signature and bass. Elegia is also a good candidate, nearly as good as the Stellia but much cheaper. I did not try Focal Clear MG, only the normal clear. Nice too. Odin is an IEM not exactly cheap, but it is nice for sure.

Hope this helps. In a nutshell - any Focal will do at any price, but not Audeze.

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #10,575 of 12,293
For a slightly different perspective ... any Audeze will do, but not Focal ... :)

Joking aside, of course it is personal... but LCD-4 is one of my favorite headphones for metal.

To the OP: I would first decide on open vs closed and budget, to narrow down the options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back